Is ATGATT overrated?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Bar None

Bar None OLD DUDE Supporter

Oddometer:
    ATGATT is overrated until you crash.
    Peanut_Buttery and Gondul like this.
  2. rixcafe

rixcafe Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Busted my helmet, shredded my gloves and deeply scarred my leather jacket. MacGyvered my bike back together and rode out. Could have been worse...
    Traxx and AZbiker like this.
  3. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    ATTGATT and still fractured my lower arm. Rode out, skipped the first hospital, did one 10 km further away. I got a completely wrong diagnosis. Went home. Recovered but could not jerk off with that hand. Still can’t.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    But could you play the piano?
  5. sphyrnidus

sphyrnidus born to ride

Oddometer:
    Gear does not protect you from getting broken bones. It protects from road rash yes. There was a study done on this here in the Netherlands and that was the conclusion.
    OB1UK, Traxx, Glenn247 and 1 other person like this.
  6. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Yes but I am dyslexic and cannot read music. All of those accordion lessons were a complete waste (true story).
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    :lol3 cool.

Now pardon the insensitivity here... if you could have gotten a left handed accordion and read the music in a mirror? :augie

Really, I have high respect for those dealing with dyslexia. I had one of my best lessons for teaching students how to measure from a dyslexic high school student I had in a metals class. He described how he had to deal with reading the normal left-right rulers and it was perfect for teaching students who struggle with the inch system and also when reading a right-left shop scale like that in a tri-square.

He told me he would identify which way the ruler was reading, then figure out which mark was the fractional value he needed, then count in odd numbers (1, 3, 5, 7, etc) until he got to his value, like 6-11/16. He figured which was was increasing to find his inch mark and direction of increasing value, then identify which mark was 1/16, then count in the proper direction, only those size marks.

Incredible! I could get a student doing 20% correct measurement and have them at 96% once they grasped that concept. That student I had back in 2006 has no idea how many students he helped with his method developed to work with his dyslexia. I wish I could thank him every time I've used that.

It works fantastic regardless of who you are. I use it for sixteenths and thirty-secondths.
    AZbiker, Turismo9999 and Traxx like this.
  8. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just don't crash.

PROBLEM SOLVED!
    Noobs need all that gear because they crash all the damn time.
  9. markk53

Oddometer:
    I don't remember this video being posted here, but a kind of a statistical eye opener...

Gloves with sliders... who'da thunk it?

It does put some perspective into the process of picking what and when.

If I was advising someone, ebay would be our friend. A new helmet, no used one, I'd take a $100 new over an unknown used one. But for boots and jacket, it would likely be ebay going with good used if possible.

The other thing would be trying stuff on then looking for seasonal close outs or clearances. Like my picking up a new Bell Star for $375, MSRP was $524. Ebay, made an offer on one for $399, I said $350, tax and fee added the rest. Used "like new", for real, AlpineStar Tech6s for $150 (riding dual sport).

If the rider lives near a Cycle Gear, go and try stuff on. Also know where any big stores may be nearby. I am fortunate, I live about 20 miles from Iron Pony, have some fabulous clearances and reductions, for ever getting old stock from manufacturers. I got a First Gear Kilmanjaro Air for $50, right now they have IXS coats for $29, but they run really small. I should wear an XL, but they don't fit. Really small. Also near a Cycle Gear for on sale stuff, about 30 miles or so.

I'm always looking, I knew Bells fit well from trying them on at shows, so when my sister took my HJC I went hunting for a good price. I knew it would fit. Coats are a real problem because you never quite know.

Maybe we need a thread to start where riders tell their dimensional size in chest and waist compared to the sizing of gear. That would be a great thing.
    AZbiker likes this.
  10. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    Interesting. I was really glad to see the emphasis on gloves and boots, especially boots. There have been so many dumb debates about this... to me, losing a season because I dropped my bike on my foot is too high a price to pay for cheaping out on boots. But that's me.

I had a couple of issues with it. For one, in true Ryan F9 fashion, he contradicted an earlier video by heaping love on the Gringo. He hated that helmet in an earlier test, to the point of suggesting it was dangerous. The other was the jacket thing. It's a straw man to suggest that jackets are for saving lives. They're for reducing injuries. No sane person thinks you're going to die without a jacket... the stakes are the same as the boots: having to convalesce from an avoidable injury. There's no jacket so punishing to wear that I'd rather wait out road rash. It was an odd position to take, I thought.

Thanks for sharing this.
  11. markk53

Oddometer:
    I lost a summer too. I had an old pair of leather MX boots that didn't hold up when the bike (250) landed on my foot on a 0 mph tip over, resulting in a fractured ankle bone.

I agree with you, but I think the order of operations there make total sense. I'm ignoring the helmet choice, but not the helmet specs.
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  12. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of my mom's boyfriend at the time who taught me how to ride when I was 13 years old. I was on an '86 Suzuki DR125 just doing laps around the driveway. He insisted gloves were the most important gear - the rest was sneakers, jeans, a sweatshirt, no helmet. First time I took it out of 1st gear, I panicked, grabbed a fistfull of front brake and went over the bars. Bike landed on top of me and we slid down the driveway for a bit. Bruised ego and a raspberry on me knee, but otherwise fine (I swear the footpeg was an inch from making a puncture!). Hands were good to go lol Anyway, dad found out and was PISSED and took me to the local moto shop the next day and bought me a helmet :lol3
  13. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    But I look stupid wearing MX boots riding a scooter.

I want a pair of MX boots for my scooter.

I have Astar Roam boots for the rain and Astar Scout boots for the dry.

The Astar Scout boots have had a KLX250 on top of them.

No injuries, Maple Ridge Kawasaki put my KLX together finger tight.

I would like better boots but I have no money for food.

Anyone want to buy a 2014 Honda Forza 300 with 145,000 km or 90,000 miles? What is it worth? Needs clutch repair. Tires.
  14. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Totally agree. The ECE has been a godsend for helmet shoppers. It's a good standard, and it's based on compulsory testing rather than affadavits like the DOT standard is. And it's impressive how many helmets qualify.
    Traxx and AllSeasonRider like this.
  15. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    It takes a little more digging, but there are also helmets out there which are ECE rated for RoW, but are only DOT in the US. The explanation I've heard is those ECE stickers cost $ for the mfr, so they're trying to save by not sending them to markets where it carries no legal weight. I seriously doubt they are building a DOT version of an ECE helmet, so I'd feel comfortable buying one like this.

This is probably happening less and less as more US consumers are becoming aware of ECE, and even some race organizations here are recognizing/requiring it.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    That and the gloves thing were my biggest take away from that video.
  17. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    I realize this is probably emotional logic, but I'd have trouble with a helmet manufacturer for whom the cost of a sticker was financially material. Interesting intel.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  18. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Fair comment, but I believe it's more than the cost of the sticker. I'm no expert, but I think ECE requires the mfr to physically test/recertify a helmet per x number of units sold. This was an HJC helmet in particular, so it's not like it was some small-time shoestring operation.
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  19. markk53

Oddometer:
    It is, no matter how you look at it. If it wasn't, they'd all do Snell, it isn't that costly per helmet, but a buck is a buck when manufacturing products. You see it every day, some small inexpensive thing that is skipped in the process.
  20. ADV890R

ADV890R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They actually HAVE lessons for the accordion???:lol2:lol2:lol2
    davenowherejones likes this.