1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Canada Post delivering your international orders?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Trialsguy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never had to pay duty on out of country motorcycle parts purchase

I ask for a label to be put on the parcel and on the declaration forms that states "Contains Only Motorcycle Parts not subject to Duty."

I have had to pay gst on occasion.

There is no duty on MC Tires bought in the US and brought into Canada. In the early day of Nexus (spring 2009) I lost my Nexus Card for a short period of time due to an overzealous CBS Agent in Port Roberts. This was when you had to fill out the ittle card and I think box 5 or 7 was where you put in the total value of duty free items.

I politely asked to speak to his Supervisor and had him get the Duty Binders of the shelf and show me where it showed duty rates. He looked under tires and they all have duty....but if you turn over the page MC were the next section and the duty was zero. I had checked on this with a lifelong pal who has written a few books on duty charges. He is a Tax Lawyer for a large International Law Firm with a lucrative sub speciality,

The story continues. My wife (not my last name)made a run down to border to pick up the rest of the tires, the same guy is in the booth, runs the same deal, charges her duty taxes and a penalty threatens to take her Nexus card and generally is a shit to her.

She comes home tells me the story, I hope in the car take her paperwork and go back to the Border. Go into the Office ask for the Supervisor tell him the story have him get the binder show him, he calls in the Officer who pales when he sees me. get money back
    and notes removed from my wife's file with a letter for our files.

We decided after that it would be better to move our US Mailbox to Blaine.....but wait there is more

Things go on with no drama and then one day 5 or 6 years later I pull up on my bike to the Nexus booth. I recognize Mr Tire Duty and after I give him my verbal declaration he gives me a card to go for a secondary inspection.

Not a problem for me but things are backed up and it takes about 90 minutes for the secondary. After I am cleared, I thank the Officer and ask to speak to the Officer in Charge and assure him that the matter I want to speak to the OIC about has nothing to do with him.

So I go inside and wait for the OIC. He shows up nice guy and I tell him the tire story, then I say lets go outside and look in the inspection area and there are a large number of bikes waiting to go through secondary and as he looks over at the Nexus boot another bike comes directly into the secondary. I look at him and say so.... the Officer who tried to mess with my wife and I some time ago and falsely accused us of failing to pay duty appears to have transferred to Peace Arch.

I looked at him and said it appears that your Officer seems be failing in his job because he is targeting only motorcyclists and not using his training and judgement to screen other vehicles. The OIC asked me to wait and did a walk around to the Officers doing Secondary came back thanked me very much for pointing this out to him and said he would tend to the matter. I learned later that "my friend " was transferred to one of the least desirable jobs with almost zero interaction with the public.
    StevieMac, AngusMcL, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bravo!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  3. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same thing happened when I was bringing back 40+ tires for a group of us. Only difference was the guy threatened to confiscate my truck and trailer. As it happened, his supervisor was walking by, overheard this, straightened things out and I was on my way. You are so much at the mercy of the individual you interact with. That is not how it should be.

On a happier note......new helmet arrived in Canada on the 7th. Delivered today (10th) by Canada Post. No additional fees of any sort.
    Cal, Night_Wolf and Bill 310 like this.
  4. Holaday

Holaday Man of Leisure

Oddometer:
    I used to buy a lot of moto stuff online and ship it to Blaine. From North Vancouver to Blaine is about 50 minutes mid week. I usually leave NV at about 10 am grab my stuff in Blaine then drive down to Bellingham and have a nice lunch and beer at one of the many great craft breweries in Bham. I’m back in NV by 2 or 3 if there isn’t any traffic issues. I miss those days now because of C19. Any ways I just bought some ski boots online from a shop in Salt Lake. Nobody in Canada has current Scarpa Tele ski boots. I paid the big bucks $103 US for shipping them USPS Priority Mail Express International. I ordered them last Friday and they arrived today Friday the 11 th. I owe $93 in taxes and fees, most of that is the PST and GST. Not bad IMO. Don’t be fooled by what seems like low UPS shipping costs on packages from the US. They nail you with fees.
  5. pyro_

pyro_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got a second package from the UK took a couple of weeks between when it was sent and when I got it
  6. pyro_

pyro_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those of you buying out of the US this is an option you can use. You ship it to their Niagara Falls NY address and they will bring it across the boarder for you and you can pick up from one of their gta locations or they will ship your stuff out to you. They will also consolidate orders for shipping

https://www.crossborderpickups.ca
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  7. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    smallish items?
    DHL from Europe - 4 or 5 days
    USPS from USA - 3 or 4 weeks.
    and - DHL is usually less expensive.
    my experiences, over the last few weeks.
    DHL is also far more communicative regarding progress, etc.
    gpfan and Bill 310 like this.
  8. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    CBSA sent me a refund cheque this week. Will wonders never cease?
    Bill 310, The Maz, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I have a shock coming from France this week via fedex, are you saying it should be duty free?
  10. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes it should be duty free. Motorcycle parts are duty free, regardless of country of origin. That won't stop FedEx from extracting their pound of flesh though. If you do get charged duty, you should be able to get that refunded.
    Cal and Night_Wolf like this.
  11. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Duty free for MC parts.

I actually got shaken down by Fed Ex again last week, their robot called me and asked for the GST, which I paid. The next day the driver came to the door and wouldn't leave the parcel without me paying for the GST (again). I told him I had already paid it and he wouldn't hear it. So...I paid another $33 dollars and promptly got on the phone with FedEx headquarters to get my refund rolling. It's brutal when you think of how many transactions they must do every day, yet they haven't sorted out how to not charge the customer twice.
    Cal, Night_Wolf and EmmEff like this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    so it was 80 euros to ship which is like 120.00 Canadian, have they not extracted enough?! The shipper said he was using Chronopost which I mistaken as the post office! It left the dealer as Chronopost then changed to FedEx at the airport in Paris. we shall see.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  13. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Expect more fees brokerage and handling fees from FedEx. My experience with FedEx and UPS is that they never miss the opportunity to extract money from you. Just don't let them try to collect duty.
    Night_Wolf and Cal like this.
  14. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently had a package arrive from China through Fedex. I got a robocall a couple of days before saying that I had to pay some fees before it would be delivered. I can't remember the reason but I could not. They told me no problem just pay the driver when he drops off the package. The value of the package was about $800. I went out for the day and when I got home there was the package sitting on the back porch. They delivered it on a Sunday and before I paid any fees. A week later I received a bill in the mail for the HST.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My shock arrived from France just GST and a 10.00 fedex service fee.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ordered some small parts last summer. They shipped from BC, but never arrived in Idaho. :-( I've ordered things from this business for many years, and they always arrived in the past. Not this time!
  17. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    We will see if this works out. I got the robo-call yesterday and ignored it. My latest package is supposed to be delivered today and I’m not home... edge of your seat stuff right here!

I hope they leave it for me as well :-)

EDIT: Sure enough, it was sitting on my front step when I got home. I suppose I'll get a bill in the mail for the $30 GST.
  18. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can expect a bill. Only way you might not get one is if your mailing address is different from your residential one. I paid mine right away to make sure they will not hold packages hostage in the future.
  19. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made an order from a small company in the USA last monday afternoon. It arrived on Wednesday afternoon. Barely more than 48 hours to get to my house from the USA. I do not live anywhere close to a major centre.

Well done UPS. (Never thought I would say that)
    Night_Wolf and cmattina like this.
  20. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    What, if anything, did you get charged for cross border fees?
    Night_Wolf likes this.