Is Canada Post delivering your international orders?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Trialsguy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    6 days from placing order to picking up package.
    DHL from Slovenia to Calgary.
    Only issue is DHL charged duty on a rack and I believe, from what I can find, motorcycle parts are duty free. Maybe duty free from US but not EU? Not sure, but I have submitted a claim/query with DHL and am awaiting a response.
    Total charges (duty, taxes, transaction fee, etc) from DHL was $41 on a $200USD item so their fees are more reasonable than Fedex, UPS for sure. One thing though....you won't get an itemized invoice for what you are paying for (if pay online) until you get your package so there is no opportunity to question the fees (eg. duty on motorcycle parts) before you pay.

DHL used to handoff to Canada Post once packages got to Canada and lots of times CP would only charge a $8 handling fee and collect GST. I think DHL has gone to a complete service here in Canada now.
  2. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think origin matters. It always used to be that motorcycle parts were duty free coming into Canada (not tax free), but they need to be properly identified with the HS customs code. I find that sometimes small foreign parts dealers haven't even heard of that. Or maybe DHL charged you Maritime HST :lol3
  3. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The DHL invoice clearly shows the category as "motorcycle parts" and the amount was under the "duties and customs". We will see what DHL's explanation is.
    Night_Wolf and sturgeon like this.
  4. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    I placed three orders within two days at the end of May. Two packages from Germany, one from the UK, all via DHL. One package from the UK arrived at my door on the DHL truck within 5 days. 24 days later, another package arrived from DHL via Canada Post. 31 days later, the third package is MIA, having never been updated after the 8th of June at Frankfurt. I assume at some point it'll pop up on the radar, but it's maddening there could be so much inconsistency in such a short amount of time at one company.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  5. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Northern Gravelholic

Oddometer:
    Because of the explosion of online ordering, shipping FROM anywhere TO anywhere these days is a crap-shoot. Delays, lost shipments, etc., are common. Think of Christmas and Black Friday shipping COMBINED!
  6. vince82

vince82 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3 weeks delay but my extra fast 3-business days pack finally arrived
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My shipment from California to Calgary arrived yesterday 25 days, yahoo, this was a second shipment and the first stalled in LA for 30 days and is now moving it left on May 10th
  8. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold some pristine engine guards to fellow in Las Vegas very recently. Box arrived in timely fashion but it looked like it went through a war. Not sure if it was Canada post or USPS that decided to take their aggression on the parcel. Luckily I packed it well enough that nothing was damaged.

Attached Files:

Night_Wolf likes this.
  9. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Windshield ordered from CalSci, posted May 22nd.

Arrives in Mississauga June 14th. That's pretty slow, okay.

But then...

They sit on it until June 22nd. Customs. Another 8 days.

Got a full month going now. But wait, there's more!

June 24th it shows: out for delivery. Cool.

Nuh-uh. Go to the postie to pick up, figuring that I have to pay customs. Which I expected.

Turns out, customs had issued a hold on the package, because they charged the wrong amount on the declared value. I saw the invoice, and I agree that with HST it should have been about $46, not the $24 on the Canada customs waybill.

Now showing: processing error, pick up on July 9th, end of day.

Holy fuck, Batman. That will be 48 DAYS since it was shipped.

Usually, I'm alright with Canada Post being a bit slower because I've found them to be consistent. About once every couple of years, something goes wrong in a most impressive fashion. This one, they took to a new level. Damn, guys.
  10. huron52

huron52 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A small package from Toronto to me took 2 weeks. Took a week to get to Kitchener then sat in Kitchener for a week before moving on to me.
  11. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like UPS was the instigator of this popular scam. Even 5 years ago they were doing this. Because they call it a "C.O.D.", they demand payment on delivery. Once, when I didn't race to the door to meet them, they just left the package. Then after a few months I got a notice from a collection agency, stating I never paid my UPS debt. Upon asking "What debt", they couldn't produce an invoice. I never paid it, nor have I ever heard a word about it. I thought that UPS may refuse to deliver packages to me. Not a chance. I ordered from the U.S. recently and was again hit at the door woth an extra $50.00 charge. Normally, I try to stick with USPS and Canada Post.
  12. gt750

gt750 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got a package from "Ali Express," a cell phone protective case, for $3.52, that took 26 days to arrive! That price included delivery, G.S.T., etc.
    Tell me the "playing field" isn't tilted in China's favor!
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  13. Gerald_G

Gerald_G mostly still a noob.

Oddometer:
    I received a small package (DVD) from Lithuania in 3 weeks.
  14. MCMXCIVRS

MCMXCIVRS Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm still waiting on a package that was shipped from Japan back in April. I've contacted the vendor and he says he's had many shipments delayed and some have started to show and wants me to wait a bit longer. I used PayPal, so have up to 180 days to ask for a refund. Thank goodness it's nothing critical.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  15. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    bought something couple of weeks ago. absolutely insisted on USPS, as part of deal.
    sends it Fed Ex, regardless .... grrrrr
    40 dollar surcharge on a 125 dollar item.
    California to Vancouver in 3 days ........ there's that.
    Adanac rider and Cal like this.
  16. Ricorjon

Ricorjon Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have had a handful of shipping issues lately with both USPS and UPS. Seems like Canada and Mexico are the worst but domestic stuff is having issues as well. None of the packages have been lost, just seriously delayed. We have sent out replacement orders only to have the original orders show up a week later....
    Cal and gpfan like this.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for the original order mailed May 10th, tracking still shows LA:( Jon sent me a second order which left California June 11th and I have received them
  18. Trialsguy

Trialsguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The package that I ordered from Colorado passed into Canada Post's hands on April 25. It finally arrived at my door last week. The UK order shipped on May 6 (and left control of Royal Mail 2 days later) hasn't even been scanned into CP's tracking system yet. Probably sitting in the black hole that is also known as the Mississauga main sorting facility .
    cmattina likes this.
  19. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that Mississauga sort facility should be studied by physicists as it's showing all signs of confirming that black holes exist on this planet.
    Bayner and cmattina like this.
  20. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is my problem with a royal mail order.

I really want the seller to get someone to declare it lost...