1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Canada Post delivering your international orders?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Trialsguy, Jun 21, 2020.

1. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    As a shipper I used to try to make packages as small as possible but they bill you by volumteric weight so if you are shipping heavy stuff, the size doesnt make a big difference if at all. And there is a floor price as well for smal items. Now I put them in boxes at least large enough for the lablel that CanadaPost puts on there. I also add a hand written address on the side of the box in large font to help the mailman see it better. Less chance of a mistake this way because the font on the printed label is tiny.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  2. OringeKrush

OringeKrush Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took canada post 3 weeks to get from ontario to my place for a set of boots...
  3. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Not Canada Post related, but shipping related none the less... just got my first taste of the Duty associated to motorcycle parts purchased from a UK vendor (parts made in Germany) thanks to Brexit. Significant! That pretty much concludes any business I’ll be doing with the UK until they get a free trade agreement set up with us again.
    jfman likes this.
  4. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    WHat country are you in?
  5. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    I'm in the little country of Alberta :-)
    Cal and jfman like this.
  6. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok Canada now has a better duty fee structure for EU vs. UK?
  7. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    I guess so. The Fedex guy did say that if I had bought UK made items from the UK vendor, then they would have been Duty Free. It's just the stuff made elsewhere that are transiting through the UK that we will get hammered on the Duty for.
    jfman and cmattina like this.
  8. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found CanadaPost to be on the slow side domestically and for international stuff.

I just waited 6 weeks for an item from Denmark. It left Denmark in about 2 days, and the sat in "CanadaPost waiting for item" for about 5 weeks. One could blame CBSA, which wouldn't be inaccurate, but Fedex stuff gets to my door from UK and US in about 6 business days...
  9. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    From what I can tell from the Canada government site regarding tariffs and duties, motorcycle parts are duty free. I have been charged duty in the past and have been able to get it refunded.

Here is the site for finding if there is duty on something. Current as of Jan 2021.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2021/01-99/01-99-t2021-2-eng.pdf

Motorcycles are in chapter 87.11 which is about page 1370 of the document.
    Motorcycle parts are chapter 87.14.10 which is page 1371

If you have been charged duty by mistake, there is a form you can fill out to request a refund.
    https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b2g-eng.html

Depending on who collected the money for the duty, you may have to use a different route to get the refund. eg. Canada Post
    https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp#1433765
    Bill 310 and gpfan like this.
  10. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Hmmm..
  11. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Here's what the folks at Motorworks UK had to say about it, this is a cut and paste from the email to me:

"Countries outside the Eu have always paid the excluding UK tax price and dependant on that country’s import rules then paid import duty/ fees on the way in to the destination country. Customers within the EU pre Brexit just paid the UK tax and no fees, now they also have to pay import duties/ fees"

Also, Hey Maz!
  12. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    Hey Chad!:super
  13. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, if I read this right, the retail vendor (in UK) separated out the duty they paid when importing from Germany and showed it as a line item rather than rolling it into their price which would be the normal practice. You did not pay any Canadian duty. Is that correct? If that is the way it works, I can see Brexit biting the UK in the butt when it comes to their non-domestic retail business.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  14. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    I think that package is going to arrive today or tomorrow, I'll see if I can figure out how it broke down and report what I see.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  15. pyro_

pyro_ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had an item ship from UK beginning of last week. It has already cleared customs and been shipped out of Mississauga today so should have it in the next day or two up here in Sudbury. Hopefully the second item I am getting from the UK is just as fast
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  16. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    Can Post - the 10 dollar "collection" surcharge on 7 bucks worth of gst/pst? - on a 40-50 dollar item.
    when did they initiate this method of extraction?
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just recently my orders have had this charge.
  18. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Collection charge used to be $5 if at all. Seem to have lowered the cutoff as well.
  19. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    So... this was a cock and bull story from the Fedex guy who would have been trying to get back the money that they fronted to CBSA for the improperly coded tariff. In this case CBSA identified my "MOTORCYCLE SPARE PARTS MADE OF" as code "9825.20" which in my opinion is clearly not the correct code, thanks @drrod1 The aforementioned code carries an 8% tariff, where as motorcycle parts (as we all know) should be duty free.

Any way, sorry for all the excitement re: Brexit and shipping, clearly there are some issues for the UK as evidenced by the comments from the Motorworks UK employee, but that's their issue and shouldn't extend to us, as Canadians.

As for me, I'll be going after CBSA to get my money back! Thanks for following along...
    jfman, Night_Wolf and Cal like this.
  20. murcam

murcam n00b

Oddometer:
    I ordered a new helmet from FC-Moto, was in Canada in 3 days, sat in customs for 2 weeks and Canada post for another 3 before delivery. just had to pay GST. Big saving over ordering the same item from the states.
    Night_Wolf likes this.