Is Cottonwood Pass open yet?

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Pinky, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Podzo's PD

Podzo's PD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hartman Rocks 1968.
    6.jpg
    Dao1, Mechanista, timeOday and 5 others like this.
  2. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Tincup is open but your gonna get wet feet at mirror lake

image.jpg
    dmac1, RLK, Podzo's PD and 1 other person like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I went over Cumberland last week all good.

In CB the Paradise divide loop (up Slate River and over and down past Gothic)
    is not possible as that snow plug at Torqoise Lake is huge this year.

No idea how it is all the way to Marble via Devil's Punchbowl, we turned around at the snow and went back and up and over Paradise divide.

20190805_161202.jpg 20190805_154731.jpg
    dmac1, Dao1, TheDudeAbides and 3 others like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    And it's still a wild card if Cottonwood Pass will fully open this before the snow closes it down again.
    https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/co/cottonwood/

Hopefully it does so a full spped twisty run can happen this fall from BV to CB.
    I'd hit it for a Teocali Tamale burrito in CB.
  5. wakewop

wakewop Hucker

Oddometer:
    9 news said it was opening on the 12th. HOWEVER, the news article had specific rules listed. Such as no trailers of any kind. There were some other ones too but I don’t remember.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  7. rwhittak3

rwhittak3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was in Leadville on the 15th (just last Thursday) and the road sign on hwy 24 just south of Leadville said that Cottonwood Pass was open. We didn't hit it, since we were heading east back toward Fairplay, but that's what the sign said!
  8. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that bi-cyclists or motor-cyclists or both???

:ricky
  9. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    Bicycles, trailers, RV's.
  10. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles were going over on Friday. Sign clearly states no bicycles. About 2 miles near the top is still dirt and under construction.
  11. Rockieman

Rockieman Rockieman

Oddometer:
    We went over yesterday (Sunday), there is still a section that needs to be paved. The bowl just above tree line has been rerouted somewhat (less curves) and still hasn't been paved. The non-paved area goes down to the switchback before you get to the (south section) Timberline trailhead. I suspect the reason for limiting access is due to the lines created with the one way traffic. Pilot cars and flagmen were present despite no work being done by the paving crew. Pretty amazing the work that has been completed ... landscaping, drainage, etc. Fresh pavement on the east side as well (towards the top). It's going to be nice once they are all finished.
    RedRover_CO and James Adams like this.
  12. Skunk-Works

Skunk-Works Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went over Sunday as well from west to east.
    Caught the traffic control section at just the right time, as the pilot-car was just arriving from the other direction.
    If you arrive at the wrong time, you could be waiting around 30-minutes. The unfinished dirt section wasn't super long, but the pilot-car goes really slowly.
    They certainly have put a lot of money and work into the pass. The finished pavement is really nice, but I imagine it will draw a lot more people over the pass now between BV and CB now that it's paved.
    I expect it will be more crowded from now on.

T73.jpg

T75.jpg

T74.jpg

T76.jpg
    Dao1 likes this.
  13. jimco

jimco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode it from east to west today. They have covered all the dirt. It is paved all the way, but they are still paving and still have single lane with flaggers and a pilot vehicle. Looks like they are putting a second layer of asphalt.

Jim
    RedRover_CO likes this.
  14. Cottonwood Pass

Cottonwood Pass Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Should be open to trailers soon. 1-1/2 miles remaining to top-coat starting 2 miles down from the summit. Construction crew said today is completion date for paving, leaving shoulder-work and lane-striping through September. It doesn't look like today is the day, if you ask me! Flag workers are scheduled up to the end of September. It's going to be a speed hazard with everyone competing for pole position, especially dieseled trailer-campers, the 50 footers. There's going to be plenty of drivers willing to swerve into oncoming traffic to allow clearance for bicyclists. Really have to watch out for that!

It's nice to have it finally open, I have to admit, albeit paved and looking like a Nat'l Park. Trading Post had at least 50 dirt bikes in the parking area Wednesday. Trading Post has new owners.
  15. RedRover_CO

RedRover_CO Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went over it Wednesday, ditto the previous three posts. What a gem of a road--seems like it will open Taylor to the Front Range masses.
  16. Pinky

Pinky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And in turn start to open up Crested Butte more. That is a major downside if you ask me. Its only a matter of time before the crowds really take over more than they already have.
  17. dmac1

dmac1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Other than encouraging more off-road riders to come to Taylor Park, you may have hit on one of the worst aspects of the pavement....bicycles. Sounds and looks like there is no bike lane over the pass...not surprising, but now it will be a major attraction for road cyclists whereas before, it was too rough...except for when they smoothed it all out for Tour d Colorado.

I can only imagine approaching a line of bicycles going slow when towing my toyhauler and with oncoming traffic. Might be more dangerous now! I wonder if the counties considered this in their 'improvement' plan.
  18. JER_OME

JER_OME Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Said it was closed on Saturday/Sunday per the signs in Buena Vista
  19. jnclem

jnclem True Airhead

Oddometer:
    It won’t be more dangerous if you obey the law and pass other legal road users, including bicycles, only when it's safe to do so.
    beernutt, jjmead1 and shu like this.
  20. jimco

jimco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The signs in Buena Vista said it was closed when I rode it last Thursday, too.

Their website says it's open and they work 7 days a week: https://flh.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/co/cottonwood/

Jim

Edit (addition): They probably keep the closed signs up to discourage traffic.