Is early October ok for Labrador Highway?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by longtrip68, Jul 10, 2019.

1. longtrip68

longtrip68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, I'm considering the Labrador Highway in early October...is that doable? I know that seems like a cheesy question. I don't mind cool to cold temps at all as I have the gear for relatively cold temps (say +45 F). Is there anything I should consider about October, that perhaps I am not thinking about? How many days, should I plan from start to finish (not including my travel to and from the Labrador highway from my house)?

Just to provide some riding experience, I went on a 3.5 month, 25,000 mile solo trip last summer/fall from Pennsylvania to Key West then up to Alaska, and many other places (including Dalton and Demster Highways). 2017 R1200GS Rallye. Thanks all!
  2. longtrip68

longtrip68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also, what about best time in Spring?
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    By early October, snow is a very real possibility in Labrador. And continues to be until May.

Most people seem to agree that the realistic timeline for riding in Labrador is mid-May to mid-September. First half of that time tends to be a lot wetter.

The Trans-Labrador Highway itself (which I'm considering to include Rt 389 from Baie-Comeau to the Labrador border) is a four-day ride if you take your time, three if you push it. More, obviously, if you do some of the side roads, or power plant tours and other off-bike stuff.

It's also worth factoring in a decent amount of time in Newfoundland.

--mark
  4. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And.... now I'm realizing you wrote this in July so, its past October.
    So- how was your trip?