Is Gaia worth the $40 per year?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by lacofdfireman, Mar 24, 2020.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking at Gaia maps and wondering if it’s worth $40 per year. It wouldn’t be a big deal if it was $40 lifetime but not sure it’s worth $40 per year for the premium subscription. What’s your thoughts?

I want the ability to create maps from my IPhone and track my routes etc. Offline maps are a must also.
    ohgood likes this.
  2. rswift-ebay

rswift-ebay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi. I have the non premier product and it suits me fine it's better than google map offline. I pay 17$ a year currently reduced from 20$
  3. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get it for a month or two and decide if you like it...
    BobcatSig likes this.
  4. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve used it before and like it but have never paid for a subscription so I’ve never had all the features. Offline maps, route planning etc. just not sure if it’s worth it over free google maps.
  5. JohnnyAirstream

JohnnyAirstream PERMISSION to adventure. GRANTED!!!

Oddometer:
    EVERY. SINGLE. PENNY. But maps and navigation are my jam so, yeah, take it for what it's worth. How much is it worth to you do download an offline map and have basically turn-by-turn directions of almost every single road, dirt road, two track, single track, or hiking trail in the world while you're out of cell tower range and zero internet service? How much is it worth to you to not get lost in the wilderness? Sorry, I love Google Maps, but it can't do that. Send me an PM if you want a tutorial on how to create routes. It's pretty fantastic. I might even post a tutorial video here, YouTube, and my website, but others have already done it.
  6. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

i'll take one of ya tutorials, or heck do it right here in the thread.

things i have found very lacking in gaia:
    maps- their topo and contrast is very poor
    offline maps- where is the navigation functionality?
    maps- how do you import kmz files for map overlays ?

track handling- scrolling through tracks by chronological order instead of sub directories is, wow it's slow

lots of other little things, but i'm really used to using android (big change here) and locus ( hugely more functional)

i'm literally lost in ios mapping apps and trying to find a decent replacement on ios for my old locus usage on android
  7. AzMtnThumper

AzMtnThumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an ios guy and I really like Gaia. I've created literally thousands of miles of routes in three western states in the last three years or so. Since I ride a lot of National Forests the USFS 2016 map is my go to but I "grew up" on USGS topo so they get pressed into service a lot too. I'm not the most advanced user but I find the route building capability of the companion website very simple to use. I have on occasion ridden off the map I downloaded for my route when using Gaia and that's really my only complaint. That prompted me to mess with locus some and I like the ease of downloading a map of a huge area (like an entire state), I think the Lomaps (the only ones I've tried so far) look pretty good. I haven't built any routes on Locus but have downloaded some to it via Google Drive. I have also built routes on the Gaia website and downloaded the gpx to my android running Locus which actually works pretty well (easy route building and a big map). I keep my iPhone on constantly and have no problems with charging via my bike's usb port but it will overheat in the sun once in a great while (like twice and it was a really hot day both times). I have read some posts about problematic charging of Androids when used that way. I'll be carrying two phones for awhile and switching back and forth...
    BobcatSig and ohgood like this.
  8. TrashDog

TrashDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone been able to download maps to a Garmin watch from Gaia? I have been playing around with the free version of Gaia and I like what I see so far. I have a Fenix 5s Plus and I would pay the fee if I can create maps and download them to my phone and watch. I like having more than one source of navigation, I grew up when you used to print out the MapQuest maps and have a folder of them in your car. I know there are people on here that didn't even have that luxury. Don't worry, I can still land-nav with a protractor, compass, and good old fashioned map too. I am a bit technologically challenged (that may be the understatement of the century) so I like simplicity and functionality. I'm just trying to get with the times and the luxuries it affords us, even if it is an a$$-pain to learn.
    MacG likes this.
  9. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't really create maps. You can create tracks, and download the map tiles to your phone, but you cannot put them on the watch at this time, from what I can gather.

https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360022946973-Android-Watch

I usually recommend a second device as well (I carry my normal cell phone, and a rugged Android phone that is a dedicated GPS device). I don't find Gaia to be great for most of what I do, but I do pay the subscription, and enjoy a lot of the features of it. I generally record my tracks, or edit the tracks online, but most of the time for actual navigation, I will use something better.
    TrashDog likes this.
  10. TrashDog

TrashDog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can plot routes on the Garmin Web App, I just don't really like how it works. I'll do some more research and see if I find anything.

I used to use plotaroute but it has become less user friendly. I use it to find run routes mainly. I am searching for something with a little more off-road friendliness. I don't think I am ready to make the jump to a large hand-held device quite yet. If I start adventuring out into the hinterlands more I would probably make the jump, there is just nowhere close to me you can really get "lost" if you know what I mean.
  11. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know about Android watches but on my Watch, Gaia clearly displays the location map...

60B240B3-C15C-43A6-9491-4D242769814D.jpeg 9F0A14D1-FADD-40A9-AD8C-018904FEA669.jpeg FD41C05F-E2F4-47F5-BA39-49EE0830113D.jpeg

I don't actually use it for nav on the bike but walking around it is handy to set locations and record my track.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  12. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    What do you consider better?

I'm a decade behind on using an iPhone/iPad for navigation, and I'm just starting my education. Any help anyone can offer here is appreciated.
    MacG likes this.
  14. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't use iOS devices for navigation so if you're on an iPhone or iPad, stick to Gaia, Guru, Pocket Earth Pro, or Scenic 2.0 (all depends on your riding)

On the Android side we have tons of options to choose from.
  15. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    I didn't read the responses.

Yes. Absolutely worth it.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i spent three weeks trying out ios applications for off road navigation. i sold the test iPhone and went back to Android. none of the ios applications can handle more than a handful of tracks or waypoints. they don't use a database, so it's basically just scrolling through endless lists. the offline routing was lacking also. editing routes offline wasn't possible. Bluetooth file transfers were not possible. the Gaia/motion x/similar applications were much more focused on social networking aspects than offline mapping. i really dug the camera though, it was nice compared to my regular $45 rugged android. if you want a ton of info, check out the rugged smartphone thread on adv
  17. Smackit

Smackit Life Is Good Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update on using iOS. I've been using Apple technology since the late 80's, and have always preferred their ecosystem over Microsoft/Android. I don't like iOS, and I've relied on PocketPC and Android for powerful GPS solutions for the last 15 years. I really want to ditch Android, but every time I evaluate iOS, the GPS issue is the deal breaker.
  18. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ohgood , is this a comment about Gaia Maps? You seem to be suggesting that all iOS Nav Apps are incapable of off-road/off-line Track (and/or Route) navigation.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

I'm really hoping i will be corrected, and someone will point out an application that can handle more than a handful of tracks, and do offline routing/editing, and other really handy things.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    they (some) do very very limited routing. Gaia was fine for succumbed road riding, but when it comes to plotting routes to follow off road, it was an end point. i WANT to find an application that can do on road and off road routing, with user defined points, but i haven't had success yet. the track handling is very poor also.

i know I'm not typical, and i keep way more in my track database than most riders will, but the ios app that can grow with a riders database of tracks isn't on my radar yet. keep in mind in talking about offline, in-app track and point handling...i don't want to have to plug into the cloud or a PC to handle stuff. if that's the case, might well step back twenty years and get a Garmin.