Is Garmin Inreach Mini Battery life good enough? @inreachmini owners

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by spova, May 12, 2020.

1. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Iv been reading a bunch about the inreach mini but have not found any good answers to battery life questions. I was hoping those of you with experience using them could tell me. Does the battery last long enough to use the max 2 min tracking interval and have bluetooth on for an all day ride, up to say 16 hours, and have some left for an emergency? On a moto I would be able to charge each night but I don't want to have to open the battery charge port when riding and dont want to put the device out of reach in a crash so ideally it would be attached to backpack harness all day but be able to use the app on my phone to get messages when ever they come in and update tracking as often as I wanted.
  2. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe this should have been in the gear section instead?
  3. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you're in the right section. Maybe rephrase the thread title "what is the inreach mini battery life" or ...
    There is an older thread about the mini down a ways (next page?) where your question could be asked.
    spova likes this.
  4. Mountainman13

Mountainman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The best answer I can give you is probably. I run mine with the bluetooth off and in 10 minute tracking and it has gone several days without killing the battery. I've heard the bluetooth only costs you about 1% an hour so not a significant drain.

I guess my question would be why do you want to track every 2 min vs every 10? You can still log points more often if you want a gpx track for later, the logging points are handled separately than the tracking.
    jeepmedic and spova like this.
  5. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't really know what I want yet to be honest. I stated 2 min as it is the most frequent you can go with any of the personal plans, so the most I would ever try to do.
  6. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I ran mine on the 10min tracking and only charged it about every 2 days just because I could, without ever turning it off. I never noticed any drain on my cell phone.

7. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an older (5 or more years older) inReach which is not the mini. I use it daily with it pinging every 10 minutes and charge it every other day. I don't usually link it via bluetooth.
  8. spova

spova Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's part of what why im curious about having bt running on the mini since its from what I have read much more difficult to use with out GPS.
  9. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a 35 day trip last summer. I had the mini running dawn to dusk every day. It is set at the maximum point recording and 10 minute upload pings. BT was always on. I almost always sent 3 or 4 texts out each day. It used more than 50% of the battery so I had to charge it every night, but it never used more than 90%. So in my experience it easily goes all day under that usage set up.
    spova likes this.