1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Is IDBDR possible in June this year

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by IslandAdventure, May 7, 2020.

1. IslandAdventure

IslandAdventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,
    We were going to give NM BDR a try but it is a bit too many planes trains and automobiles to make it all work out with the time available so we are thinking of reverting back to ID. Looking at threads from previous years it appears that it is too snowy. Anyone know of conditions on the ground right now?

Also, we are 690's and 500s so are there some more "adventuresome" alt routes that we can mix in?
    Thanks for the help!
    NED RECK likes this.
  2. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is less snow than last winter but June is early for the high bits in Idaho. I got in heavy snow mid July a few years ago near McCall.
    NED RECK likes this.
  3. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    I've been isolating, and riding, at my cabin on the southern end (Anderson Ranch) of the BDR.There's no getting over the Trinities for another month,easy. I'm sure it's the same farther north. Having said that, get creative, find alternate routes, maybe even get lost a couple of times. That's how we do it . If you find the hidden camp spots with hot springs, spectacular views, and abundant firewood - that's where we go. Don't tell anyone.

CK
    NED RECK likes this.
  4. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure that’s true. Sure doesn’t seem that way where I live. The mountains are full of snow up north, and I recall riding some of those areas last year around this time. Schweitzer still has lots of snow.
    This site has some info on snowpack. https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reports/UpdateReport.html?report=Idaho
    NED RECK likes this.
  5. 4r22mny

4r22mny Old n' Slow

Oddometer:
    Camped on the Salmon River the night of the 3rd (just north of Riggins). Morning of the 4th, out the camper back door, we could see that it had snowed on the mountain behind us. Camped in the same place last nite, the snow was still there.

Rivers are fairly clear but high in that part of the state, says the snow is melting but slowly. Still cold at night up high. Pretty normal runoff. Look for high passes (Magruder ?) to be closed until about the 15th of July.

4r
    NED RECK and tommybelvedere like this.
  6. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can seldom get through the mountains before the 4th of July and then you will still run into some snow. Last year on July 9 we couldn't get to the Southfork of the Salmon because of a big snowdrift.
  7. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
  8. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    As I just replied in another thread asking a similar question, last year I rode up to Yellow Pine on June 20 and the roads had just recently been opened. Further north it will be later before they get cleared.

You'll have road sections that look like this (taken yesterday northeast of Boise near Thorn Creek Butte):
    [​IMG]
    NED RECK likes this.
  9. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live in Salmon, ID and have been out several times monitoring the snow level. Snow starts at about 6,200" where it is pretty beat-down if not on the north side of the man. or in the trees. As you go higher, there is more snow and less open patches. By 7,000" there is snow. Above 7,500" - 8,000" the snow in the trees is about 2.5' - 3'. Drifted areas in the shade are going to be around for another month.

To answer your question, Mid June is maybe. End of June is probable.
    NED RECK likes this.
  10. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    I'd bet it's going to be longer than July 1 before you could ride the Magruder or Lolo...

CK
  11. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Great info
  12. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snow isn't the only factor. There are lots of windfalls because of all the fires over the last several years. Unless ATV riders have sawed out the roads it is impossible to get through.
    NED RECK likes this.
  13. OffRoadRider15f

OffRoadRider15f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's interesting, since I was clearing trail in that region, in April.
    sorebutt, NED RECK and BobcatSig like this.
  14. AK2ID

AK2ID Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been traveling around the Salmon/Challis area quite a bit lately, on my bike and in my Jeep. The snow level starts about 7,500 feet. The southern facing slopes are drying out nicely but north facing and in the trees still have lots of heavy old snow. The forest roads are wet. Streams are very high.

The warm weather will beat back the snow pretty quickly.

I am adjusting my forecast to July 1st or later...
  15. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Last year I ride from Warren to yellowpine on July 4. It is open most years that day.
  16. drmiller100

drmiller100 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You ride a fully loaded bimmer or 1000cc anything up and down that trail and I'll call you sir.
    I don't know if you noticed but there was only one road open and you rode in and out the same way ulyou came in April.
  17. zoo

zoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    right now i bet you could make from canada border to Avery, but no way south out of Avery. That will be late june.
    These are from the pass there few years back on June 20th. Depending where you are coming from there is tons of alternates around everywhere. Lots of loop multi day rides on the north end of the IDBDR. 20160620_192500.jpg bbb.jpg
  18. OffRoadRider15f

Oddometer:
  19. OffRoadRider15f

Oddometer:
    This young lady took a couple of my off road riding classes...

20. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    Not getting through the Clark Fork area yet. Maybe in a week or two. I was just out there this week. Still snow and trees blocking the roads. I’m guessing the Roman Nose Lakes area still has snow as well. Snow is around 5000-5500 feet at the moment around Sandpoint/Clark Fork area