Is it just me or is Garmin Basecamp terrible?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by tibbon, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll also chime in for a "It sucks" vote.

I know I use my GPS differently than most, as I don't plan things, like routes, out in advance and then load them into my GPS, but just for viewing/storing/organizing my old tracks, it's horrible. Where does it store it's data anyway? I want my tracks in my folders, accessible the way I want to use them. I don't want to be forced into doing things Garmin's way. I know I need to spend some more time with it, but I've never had software that was so unintuitive to use.

MV
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? My BaseCamp search works quite well. Are you suggesting that your little PC should have the same search capability as Google's Super Computing server farms?
  3. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Are we to assume that you've taken the time to learn BaseCamp and just missed the fact that you can put your data anywhere you like? If you want to use BaseCamp like you used MapSource, the application is perfectly capable of saving (EXPORTING) your data to "your folders".
  4. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:

Where is Basecamp's data stored on my hard drive? What folder is it in? Last I looked, I couldn't find it. Why to I have to go into Basecamp and navigate their clunky system? Why can't I just access the folder the GPX files are in on my hard drive and copy and paste from there?

My work around to date has just been to copy the GPX tracks from the unit into the folder I want first, before ever using them in Basecamp, but then I end up with multiple copies of the files, the one I saved first, and then Basecamp wants a copy of every track my unit ever has on it. It gets cluttered.

All the same, I'm still getting used to Basecamp, it may well smooth out over time, but it's been ~1 year, and I still think that overall, the program sucks.

MV
  5. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Are you a Mac user or Windows? If you are a Windows user, why are you using BaseCamp? Use MapSource or nothing for that matter.

Since you don't do trip/ride planning why bother with any of these applications?There's nothing stopping you from copying GPX files directly between your computer and your GPS (depending upon the GPS you are using).
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or the people writing the software for them.
  7. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Windows. I'm using Basecamp since by the time I got around to playing with computer/GPS connectivity, that's what Garmin had. Or at least, that's what they were recommending. Mapsource was supposed to be done. But I gather folks using it didn't really go for that. In any case, I'm happy with my Garmin units, so I figured I'd try what they suggest. I'm still trying, but I'm not loving it.

I have been copying GPX files straight to my PC. I typically put them in the same folder that all the pics from the trip go into. I just wish there was an easy way to either use them from there with Basecamp, or an easy way to organize them in Basecamp, but I find Garmins library system to be awkward at best.

I was hoping to try my hand at the trip planning elements of using my GPS at some point, but I'll admit, I'm not really sure why. I've never understood that portion of GPS usage. Even when we do set out with a dedicated plan, rather than just free form exploring, I'm supposed to input everything into the GPS unit ahead of time? If I did that, would not the info already be stored in my memory? It makes the GPS a little redundant. I am hoping to get some of the maps with searchable databases to assist in finding, say, a gas station or motel in an unfamiliar area.

All said, The more I play with Basecamp, the more I'm able to live with it, but I could never praise it, or even recommend it.

MV
  8. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right-click on a .GPX file, select "open with" select "Basecamp". If "Basecamp" is not in the list that appears after selecting "open with", browse to Program Files and find Basecamp.exe , if I remember correctly it's a subfolder in the Garmin folder (if you have a shortcut to Basecamp on your desktop, right-click the shortcut and select "properties", take note of the path). If you want Basecamp to always open your GPX files, check that option.
  9. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine cannot find the city of Toronto using the 2013 City Navigator map set (the latest I own). Mine cannot find the town I live in, but it can find streets containing the same name. I guess if this is working "quite well" to you, then mine is working quite well.

I was playing with fuzzy logic search algorithms about 20 years ago. The search in BaseCamp does not appear to employ even basic form of that. Why can I not simply "search the world" for a place name and have it display as expected?
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    I find the search hit or miss at best. It's gotten a little better since they added yelp to the search if you're online.
    It's really only a few more years before Garmin is obsolete, considering how little they seem to care about keeping up in the world of gps.
  11. tibbon

tibbon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Now Basecamp is crashing for me when trying to turn a "track" into a "route". Tried it on multiple "tracks" and it still happens. Version 3.4.3 Mac.

And my Nuvi 765t is crashing too...

12. Bleemus

Bleemus Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my PC Basecamp throws an error trying to do the same think on a track created on Google Maps. Sucks.
  13. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the tools produced by this guy http://www.javawa.nl/ to do track/route conversions and so forth.

They complement Garmin/Basecamp abilities well.
  14. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    I spent over 2hrs on the phone with Garmin this morning. It was somewhat positive, but I'm still having problems. To make this short, I want to create a route. If I use 2 way-points on the same Interstate and try and connect them, it will route me off the Interstate and take me on some secondary road that would increase my distance by many miles. This never happened with Mapsource (which I haven't used for a couple years). Am I missing something like Navigation preferences?
  15. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds as though you have either vehicle type screwed up and/or avoidances, all of which can affect routing calculations massively.

Also, if you have manually placed the waypoints, check (zoom in all the way) that you have not inadvertently put one on the other side of the carriageway.
  16. gkgeiger

Oddometer:
    Where do I set this in Basecamp? GPS isn't even connected. Thanks
  17. gkgeiger

Oddometer:
    Ok, I found how to change the vehicle. Had me hiking. Now I need to find the avoidance's.
  18. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am on a Mac. In my version of Basecamp avoidances are defined for each vehicle type in routing preferences. I am not sure where you'll find this in Windows - might be called "options" or something.
  19. DRTBYK

Oddometer:
    Edit->Options->Activity Profile->Routing tab...
  20. gkgeiger

Oddometer:
    I got it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.