Is it just me or is Garmin Basecamp terrible?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by tibbon, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    I dont know why Garmin moved to Basecamp. Previous tool was Mapsource, way easier to play with.
  2. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree. I hated everything about MapSource and have no problems using BaseCamp.
  3. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:

:clap :1drink

Good on you that you enjoy with Basecamp, the current working version.

Please help to educate me on where all the tracklog stored?
    I have good experience in Mapsource that they allow me to organize tracklog in folders. For example: I can create a folder for my ABC trip, and inside that folder, I can have separate tracklog for Day1, Day2, Day3 etc... And the Mapsource mirrors the same folder set-up in it. When you Merge/Join the tracklog in Mapsource, the tracklog in your folder does the same thing. Super easy to manage.

Below are the same message with mine, and I do think they are still pending questions:

4. Hesaid

Hesaid Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not just you. The program is awful. I think it's made for a newer generation that's more used to "Apps" and not knowing how their computer/device works. They just hit "save" and trust that it's saved. They don't know where. They don't care. When the device suddenly can't find something, they have no idea what to do. They don't know where or how to look. It's just lost. Unless they can have a pro look for it, and recover it for them. Ugh.

I've just reinstalled Basecamp after a computer repair. I'm trying to start fresh with it, and give it another chance, but it really is poorly designed. Their "libraries" and data storage/management is awful. It's a constant fight to get it to show what I want, and only what I want.

But I don't feel like dragging myself through it tonight. I'm going to do something more fun instead. Maybe the laundry.

MV
  5. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    The learning curve for Basecamp is pretty steep, I found. That said, after you sort of come to terms with the clunky interface and set your avoidances up properly, it does get easier to use. It still remains a clunky and ugly piece of software, though. I usually find myself planning my routes in Google Maps first and then just following that route through Basecamp. Lame

I've only ever used it for street riding and have no idea how good it is for off road; but I've been all over the western US and Canada with it with great success. For what it's worth
  6. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Basecamp is not very user friendly .. OK .. it sucks ..

here use this ... Maps to gpx .. plot your route using google maps, then save route as gpx .. transfer file(s) to Garmin folder .... done

http://www.maps2gpx.com/
  7. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man! That's awesome. Just easy as breathing. :freaky :clap :clap
    Thanks for share.
  8. Paulie

Paulie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed, basecamp sucks. There were so many WTF? moments trying to git used to it that I jest deleted it. Didn't spend whole lotta time with it tho.

Google maps / wingdb3 / mapsource is working good enuf. :deal
  9. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    After I got the preferences correct it's working OK for me. I use Trip Planner with a start and destination and insert Waypoints in order along the route. Also, the fellow from Garmin showed me how to load the maps to BC so the unit doesn't need to be connected to create a route.
  11. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but there are bunch of links and recommendation. Looks like going from this jungle to another jungle.
  12. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Quick question if I may - have 650T and using Basecamp (well trying to). Have a route marked out and saved as a .gpx Can open it in Basecamp. Have been trying to transfer it to the 650T as per the tut's but cant find it on the device after doing that. It wont drag and paste either, or so it seems. I am on a Mac - must be a rookie mistake but what is it it please?
  13. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    On your Montana, go into the System Area, and choose Track Manager. Look for it in there. When you find the one you want, tap to get into it, then tap Show on Map. For some idiotic reason, tracks sent over don't default to visible.

Rob
  14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete Gone riding

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rob, do I need to convert my route to a track to do that 1st?
  15. Rob.G

Rob.G Mostly Harmless

Oddometer:
    Oh... if it isn't already a track, maybe so. Or, there may be a Route Manager you can use instead; truth is, I never use routes. I use tracks and then just follow the line on the map.

Rob
  16. hitmanlol

hitmanlol Cotor Myclist

Oddometer:
    I feel your pain, OP. I am computery also and it took me a good amount of time to get familiar with Basecamp.
    Basecamp isn't great but I recently became more comfortable with it.

The key benefit of basecamp is you are planning your route based on the actual maps loaded into your GPS device. Before using basecamp I've run into issues where my route was broken because of discrepancies between my converted google map and the maps loaded on my device.

I also found basecamp much more bearable once I started using it with a physical mouse that included a scroll wheel.

Additionally, many of the editing tools were not enabled by default, so going over to View->Toolbars and selecting the disabled ones was very helpful.

I like that you can have it calculate routes based on "curvy roads", which is a feature many other mapping applications don't have.

When following your routes on GPS, be sure to disable auto rerouting on the device itself.

Hope those tips help, as I now much prefer the features Basecamp offers after I spent a few hours getting used to it.
  17. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Basecamp is a deeply flawed application but nevertheless it is very useful to anyone who wants to plan a route in detail, rather than simply define start end end points) either on the device or on a computer.

In my opinion, the major problem that few seem to mention, is the appalling quality of the Basecamp maps. Even when you have figured out to set the map projection to where you actually are in the world so that the map proportions resemble what you are used to, they are still the very worst maps (horrible-looking rather than inaccurate) you will ever encounter online and there is no excuse for this. No wonder people want to use Google maps or Open Street Maps to plot routes.

My preferred process is to use an online route panner ( http://www.motoplaner.de/ for preference) then to download that route as a gpx file and then import it into Basecamp, correcting it (as I invariably need to) for slight inaccuracies such as often placing a waypoint on the wrong side of a dual carriageway.

I also adjust activity type and avoidances (which in the latest Basecamp, you MUST do in the info panel for the route - NOT the top menu item), convert waypoints that don't actually need to be waypoints (as Garmin now defines them) into "Don't alert" via points then send the route to my device, ensuring I have its recalculate options turned off.

I also, in Basecamp, convert the route to a track and send that to my device (usually at the same time I send the route across). On my BMW Navigator V, I can elect to display the track (along with whatever else is is on the map at the time). Thus, I can follow the route I have created and even if some glitch occurs, I can see from the track where I deviated and thus where I wanted to be and then if need be, route back to it on the device.

I believe most people's unhappiness with Basecamp stems from unfamiliarity with the program and its "paradigm" (sorry for that) rather than any deficiency in its capability. The database design is useful although a bit clunky. Its major failing seems to be in its gross inefficiency, taking as it does, ages to load a large database. I now archive and make new databases for a restricted number of routes/tracks to minimise load times.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on about everything chrisjk said.

For me Basecamp was unusable until I bought a new really fast PC last winter. Now it works like about any other application.

I still use Mapsource for serious trip planning. But Basecamp is definitely usable IMHO.

I too discovered that it was undesirable to keep every planning and ride file I ever created in Basecamp all the time. It is easy to load files on an ad hoc basis.

So much for the paradigm.
  19. dustin2

dustin2 VFR800

Oddometer:
    I'd like to know how to do this. My web searches come up bunk
  20. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:
    I'll do my best to pass on what I remember. First your maps on your GPS must be up to date. If they are open Garmin Express and click on "re-install maps", when the next page comes up click on "advanced options". Then where is says "device only" click on the down arrow and highlight computer only. That should do it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.