Is it just me or is Garmin Basecamp terrible?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by tibbon, Jun 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using MapSource for many years with my Garmin 60cx. I sit in my computer room and make a track in the woods and then go see what I can find when I ride the track. I have over 60 tracks mostly in northern California and some in Baja. So I decided to upgrade from my 60cx to a Garmin Montana and downloaded BaseCamp. Now I wanted to import my tracks from MapSource to BaseCamp. BaseCamp imports the file I requested to be imported along with waypoints from other files saved on my computer (not tracks just waypoints) and puts them in the correct location on the map area they occupy in other tracks. Then I need to go and delete the incorrect waypoints that were imported from the track I just imported. I think it is something to do with this MY Collection BS. When you open My Collection every track and waypoint you either imported or created is in there. Sure seem to me that a better system could have been developed. When I called Garmin for some explanation for why this was happening I was told I was the first person to have this problem. Well being in the Motorcycle off road community for many years, being told your the first person to have this problem means, ya we are working on the problem.
    That's my 2 cents!
  2. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    A better system was created. You have changed from a file based application to a database application. You should have taken the time to look over the tutorials and read through the Help file. BaseCamp is not just a renamed MapSource.

In BaseCamp you can "view" your data in My Collection any way you wish by creating List's and List Folders to arrange your data for easy viewing and management. No more opening and closing/saving of single files.
  3. Maddaddy

Maddaddy Terradrifting

Oddometer:
    There are several reasons I don't like Basecamp and I am an avid user of GPS devices.

File System vs Database. As the poster above stated. When you view a particular route or track you are essentially filtering away all of your other routes or tracks to view that one item. Which is why the program uses import and export instead of Save or Save As. WTF? Who the hell designs a program with out save or save as??

Mapsourse uses individual files and you can open as many applications of Mapsourse as you want and view multiple files in separate windows. Like we do in the normal world when we want to compare shit. You can always copy and paste a track or route from one window to another if you want to overlay. And if you mess up, don't save it and keep the original file! In Basecamp it's a data base. Make a change you don't want and you're potentially screwed.

That damn mouse over popup in basecamp! where ever your mouse is on your map the M****r F*****n bubble tells you what's there.

Collecting data and send from your GPS. F****n Basecamp always collects the data from your GPS when you plug in. I've deleted tracks off my device to keep thing organized for my next trek and M****R F****n Basecamp puts the same damn tracks back on.

Resource hog - Basecamp

The ONLY thing Basecamp has going for it, is it converts routes into tracks better than WINGDB.
  4. LaPorte

LaPorte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After a considerable learning curve I think I have a better understanding of BaseCamp. The biggest problem I had was dealing with the 500 track points and 20 track rule for the 60cx. That does not apply to the Garmin Montana. The Montana is 10,000 track points and 200 tracks per List ( I call it a file. but its not a file), at least that what I am understanding at this point. But all my saved tracks/waypoints in MapSource were created with the 500 point/20 track rule. So I have 10, 15 or more tracks and many waypoints saved per tack file in MapSource. So when I import tracks from MapSource to Basecamp it imports lots of information. Along with my request to import a file comes extra information from other saved files. So, as I create new tracks I will use the 10,000 points/200 track rule for the Montana. I am hoping that will make using the BaseCamp software more user friendly. Not sure this will work but I am hoping it will relieve some of the confusion! I am far from having a good handle on how to use BaseCamp but I am trying!

Thanks for all the info. Old Guy trying to live in a young mans world.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too late now but years ago but when the "x" came out, I switched from "Saving" tracks in my 76 to just transferring Active Logs from 76Cx to PC and keeping all the raw data. Now on my rides I give old units Saved 500 point Tracks and new units .gpx file with 2,000 point raw data.
  6. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

I took one look at Basecamp years ago and never opened it again. Since I never use Routes, BC has NOTHING for me.
  7. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me Basecamp has a few nice features that I like.

It shows minor roads at higher zoom levels than Mapsource.

Overlay custom maps like MVUMs onto digital mapsets and draw tracks using MVUMs.

I can talk directly to my Montana and see exactly what's there.

It lets me display tracks from lots of different rides at the same time or individually.
  8. Waterdog08

Waterdog08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me if the 2595 has the ability to show tracks or how to route POI's. I have a route saved in basecamp, and transferred the info to the Garmin. I can only find the info in the form of saved poi's. It shows as on the base camp map with a pink line with the poi's along the way. Any ideas would be great.
  9. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    1) What Zoom level? I thought it was function of Map? On MS, R&R & old Topo goes out to 2 mi but CN only 1 mi.

Seeing the MVUMs and drawing tracks is a big plus.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Basecamp I can see minor roads out to at least a 5 mile zoom level with both Topo 100k (~2000 version) and with Topo 24k.

I think they are showing up at higher zoom, but there is so much stuff in the view it is hard to tell. This is with Detail set to Highest.

With City Navigator I can see minor roads out to a zoom level of 5 mi in Basecamp vs 1 mile in Mapsource.

FWIW I have my profile set to Off-Roading. I have no idea what this means or what effect it might have on how minor roads are shown.
  11. GerJ

GerJ Blijde rijder

Oddometer:
    For me the Zumno + Basecamp works great! It sure beats looking down at the map in my tank rucksack and up again, forgetting instantly which way to go.

I bought bought my Zumo 350 in March 2013 with an HP notebook (with SSHD) for Basecamp (BC). A Dutch guy made a great BC video course (Dutch spoken) , so spent € 30 on that as well. Then I took the trouble to learn using the combination Zumo + BC, making simple routes first and tweaking & tuning them as I went along. Since then the Mrs and I have used the Zumo for two one-week and two four-week vacations, making our routes in BC on locations with no internet and most of the time no mains current either. It works great! Mind you, we still need a good map (pref. 1:200,000) for plotting the route, but then we would feel lost without one anyway and before the Zumo we had to carry two copies of each map (she rides her own bike). To make room for the notebook we leave our books at home and take two e-readers instead. Especially since the last update, which brought a much simplified search option, we have no issues with BC at all. I am a happy basecamper!
  12. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to get around to this so late but as I was looking back over this thread I couldn't believe I missed such misinformation. You really ought to take the time to learn a product before showing everyone that you haven't. There will always be features or functions someone doesn't like but do take the time to understand the basics. I've tried to address some of this inline...
  13. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I rarely close threads in LDT, but this one has run its course.

Some like __________, some hate it __________

If anyone wants to start a thread with a specific question about either product, or a way to do things in one versus the other, feel free. This one is just going nowhere productively.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.