Is it possible for me to ferry my motorcycle and I to Cuba from Florida?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by JourneyRider.com, Oct 29, 2007.

1. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I am a Canadian citizen and want to go to Cuba to ride my motorcycle. Is it possible for me to go from Florida to Cuba by boat/ ship? It would have to be a pretty big boat for me to agree to do this because it is 60 miles of ocean.

I learned my lesson about taking my motorcycle on a 30 ft. passenger boat across 15 miles of ocean from Punta Gorda, Belize to Puerto Barrios, Guatemala. I was hanging on to the bike for dear life the whole time and I bent the kick stand which had to be ghetto fixed at a Honduran motorcycle shop.
  2. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The last I read and remember is that the import duties were about 100%, so it wasn't/isn't a viable option.
  3. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think it's about 89 miles of ocean.
  4. Pir8te

Pir8te over forty victim of fate

Oddometer:
    people do it all the time get a couple of inner tubes and float away
  5. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
    you've picked a hell of a time to do it, with the canadien dollar as strong as it is...:evil to answer your question, no. not the way you stated.

i've wanted to go down there for the past few years. i've done a little bit of research on it since I live in south florida, and could make the trip easily on my own hull without stopping in the "cock republic", aka: key west, or the tortugas. the entire marlin fishing community has been wondering about the fishing there for years. i'd like to think there will be tourism once the beard and raul die, but its a pipe dream. it'll be 50 years.

the basic problem though, is that the coast guard station in miami is so good at tracking vessels, if I was to make the trip, they'd most likely meet me off key west as I'm coming into US waters, board my boat, throw me in cuffs, send me to jail (or ironically guantanamo) indefinately, and permanently confiscate the boat.

the reason I'm telling you all this???
    the embargo is that serious. the reason the trip is so hard to plan is that you cannot catch a connecting flight anywhere in the US (to the best of my knowledge) if you're going to cuba. ie, i don't even think they'd let you fly from miami to cayman, to cuba. i'm guessing you'd have to go from canada direct to mexico, then to cuba. is that even possible???

1.) obviously, its going to be a hell of a lot easier for you to do it because you're canadien. even if I flew from miami to the us, to mexico, to cuba, when i returned to the US, I'd be interrogated to no end. and if they proved I helped the cuban economy $.01 worth, its jail time.

2.) believe it or not, if you pick up an edelweiss catalog (its not mentioned on thier website), they had a tour there in 2005. They called it "cuba on your own". I'd call them and ask them about it.

3.) at some point, I'd have to ask yourself if its worth it financially. trust me, it'd be fascinating and the trip of a lifetime. and you'd be one person in 100,000 that could say you traveled there. but the most expensive part in the process is giong to be the bribes its going to cost you to get in and out with your bike intact.
  6. NativeSon

NativeSon Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the info guys. I want to do this like Steve Mcqueen did it back in the early 60's when Castro and Batista were fighting it out.

100% import tariff sounds crazy. I don't think Castro would be that stupid.

I really do not want to have my bike shipped to a Mexican airport but maybe that would be the only way to make it over there.

BTW: I am a Canadian citizen, but have lived in the U.S. most of my life so the U.S. dollar is sucking for me too.