Is it time to drop the GPS and go SmartPhone?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by deacon51, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    I mean the screen is readable in outdoor daylight without a special shade like my Garmin needed.
    Now sunlight hitting the screen perpendicular does reflect back into my eyes so I either turn me and the phone a few degrees or move me to make a shadow on the screen. A couple guys got some matte finish glare buster film screen cover thingys and they rocked. I want one but didn't bookmark the page. :doh
  2. TheLondonder

TheLondonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see - thanks, very usefu!
    Has any one tried if the Ram xgrip, or a similar holder, can hold both a phone and a phone-sized portable battery charger? I can put both in my Givi waterproof holder to give the phone some extra juice.
  3. serrge

serrge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m kind of facing the opposite dilemma here. I’ve been using an iPhone with the Sygic app. The phone mounts to the bike’s handlebar using a QuadMount phone case and mount, so it’s a breeze to attach/detach from bike. I now have an iPhone 8, which means it can be used in the rain without a protective case (though not while charging). The Sygic app works great for tarmac roads with offline maps, traffic and speed cam info and is possibly the best of the very few apps which allow custom route planning, good easy to use UI and handy indicator for closest gas stations. So far so good.

However, I’ve been contemplating getting a BMW Navigator VI lately for the following reasons:

- if the navigator dies, I still have the phone with my original SIM card as backup
    - can be charged while using in the rain
    - can be locked to the mount with a key (with the right mount)
    - works with any kind of gloves
    - has some nice conveniences like winding routes, weather info for planned route, round trip planning
    - probably much better weather/temperature resistance

All this sounds great, but the thought of dropping 1000eur for the kit plus having yet another gizmo to manage make me doubt whether it’s really a good idea...
  4. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO, an Xgrip can't even hold a phone safely, let alone a phone and a battery pack.
    Get a reliable mount.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  5. TheLondonder

Oddometer:
    What mount would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made this same decision. One thing that is much better with the Nav is the visibility of road names. I just couldn’t make out road names on Sygic when on the bike. I also like the announcement of upcoming crossroads on the Nav. It’s something that I us when wondering in the mountains. Yes, the Nav is expensive. Most dealers will discount at least 10%.
  7. TheLondonder

Oddometer:
    @ scfrank, @serrge , find the TomTom Android app almost identical to a Tom Tom car sat nav; I don't have the TomTom rider but I understand the differences are minimal.

IMHO, the HUUUGE difference is being able to control the sat nav with a remote integrated in the handlebar; but this only applies with certain BMW-branded Garmins and only on certain BMW bikes. Being able to control the satnav without taking your hands off the wheel is invaluable. Touching the screen can be dangerous and can lead to heavy fines (at least here in the UK).

The Cat s41 has a 5,000 mAh battery - I think almost 3 times bigger than that of the Garmin Zumo 595.
  8. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    Kyocera Duraforce Pro screen is 691 nits IIRC, readable in sunlight.
    I can tether it through my regular phone,
    I can connect both phones through my Sena unit for helmet use.
    It cost me $75 (US) used, FED-can't be activated on it's as sold network. I use Google DUO and can dial out or receive in on both phones.
    I had a BMW-Garmin NAV-V on my 1200, wonder wheel works great, built in lock, worth $1000 more? Tough call. Based on my retired income? No.
    Gloves worked better on the NAV-V even when moving, but having to pull over and pull the gloves off to use the Kyocera is one of those safety things for me, YMMV.
    Mapping APPS on the phone blows Garmin away, IHMO. Locus, Osmand, Google, Kurviger

Is a dedicated GPS simpler to use? Depends on what you want.
  9. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Even with my very-slim Galaxy S8, I was unable to get the x-grip to hold both. The devices are difference dimensions, and even if you could find the right combination, I doubt the Xgrip could do it. Hypothetically, were one to join the devices with a sleeve or glue, it might be too much for the friction-based x-grip to hold through a pothole, much less the rough roads I see on many RR's. If I were riding a rough road with the x-grip, I'd use the silicone retainer and connect the phone to power via a 30-60cm cable to a power source in the tank bag.

As an aside, my experience is different from what worwig states above: the x-grip holds my S8 just fine, though it is difficult to avoid hitting either the power or hated Bixby button. Even without the silicone retainer, the x-grip held my S8 through a couple hours on a graded-and-washboarded road in Panoche Hills BLM.
  10. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

https://www.ebay.com/i/183006235768...3D711-117182-37290-0%26rvr_id%3D1419442828457

Sorry for the crap link, here's a picture
    Screenshot_2018-01-18-20-09-12.png

I've only been using these for about a year. It flexes instead of breaking, and has not ejected a phone during any of the last year's worth of single track.
  12. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are two generations of X grip. I have both. The first generation is good for holding your phone while static (mounted to a wall in front of your treadmill, for example). The second generation holds much better (greater tension?) and has a rubber thing that can be stretched over each phone corner. Or, in really rough terrain, it can be stretched over each corner/rubber phone mount thing.

Lots of people swear by the Xgrip. Some hate it. I think this is because there are two generations. The first generation did a poor job for anything moving. I have 100% confidence my Gen 2 Xgrip will hold my phone in any conditions. And it's reliable. Absent a mechanical failure (i.e., the Xgrip, mount, or rubber thing breaks), I can't imagine it letting go. I have NO confidence in my Gen 1 Xgrip in any moving conditions. Yes, I've had a phone fall out of Gen 1 Xgrip, but not Gen 2.

There are other, small differences between Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 2 is a huge improvement for ADV purposes.

No, the Gen 2 Xgrip won't hold a battery and the phone. But, it does hold my phone (IP68 S7) and a wireless charger (IP67).
  13. MapleRoad

Oddometer:
    My Gen 1 holds my phone reliably in my SUV. The suction cup for the window gave up the ghost, but the grip works great.

The Gen 2 on my bike works well. That's a great idea to use wireless a charging disk in the Xgrip. Did you secure it in place at all, or just use pressure from the rubber thing?
  14. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put some velcro on the charging disc and X grip. That holds it on the X grip, but I can remove it if necessary. I've done one ride using this set up, and have a second one planned for tomorrow.

I posted a picture on the DRZ thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/drz400-thread.227340/page-1853#post-34231711

Note: the wire leading from the USB port to the wireless charger has a yellow cord wrapped around it. I wanted to give the wire some strength in case it got pulled on or caught on something (Samson Zing-it).
  15. hooverider

hooverider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you turn off the cell radio on your phone to only run the gps I’m using scenic with downloaded maps and seems to be working ok but I’m thinking maybe I’m missing something
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:

So, the real holding force is the rubber band.... Why not skip the expensive/crappy mechanical xgrip portion and just use the rubber band ?

That's what I did, because I could not understand the point of spending $80 on the ram mount, that was supplemented with a rubber band for rough road.

Amazon silicon bicycle mount, $12, flexes instead of breaking or letting go. No tools required. Swap from bike to bike in seconds.
  17. worwig

worwig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most phones have an 'airplane mode' that turns off the cell tower radios, but the GPS receiver is still on. Some goof phones also turn off the GPS receiver, when you go to airplane mode.
    On a different subject, I just found that Amazon does not put a GPS chip in their Fire tablets. That is a shame, as that would make for a cheap GPS.
    hooverider likes this.
  18. MapleRoad

Oddometer:
    I disagree with the premise of your argument. In my experience, the the rubber band is a great backup, but the x-grip is more than adequate to hold my phone on my Tiger without it. Mine also secures to the handlebar in about 10 seconds with a clamp. I could also move it between bikes very easily. If I wanted the ball screwed onto my bar clamps, I could use multiple balls to accomplish bike mobility.

Your solution works for you. Mine works for me. Different strokes for different folks.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:
    It's good to disagree, we get more sides to the story that way.

The street bikes I've seen eject phones were using the xgrip. Normally it's a rough section of road that ejects it, similarly like this:

Phone drops from RAM X-Grip Mount:

And a good explanation of why/how it fails.

It's pretty simple to understand, after I tried it in a car, I decided to return it and go with the linked silicon mount above that does not depend on a spring to hold the phone in place, instead of the over complicated and less secure xgrip.
  20. Andi_Archer

Andi_Archer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding the X Grip I dont see it mentioned but you can get a retaining band to add to the security of the mount.That said they would be a better design with a simple locking mechanism on the back.

[​IMG]