Is it time to drop the GPS and go SmartPhone?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by deacon51, Sep 22, 2017.

1. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    My xgrip came with the rubber retainer band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Exactly. If I find I need suspenders to back up my belt, I will toss the belt, or just find a better one. Apparently X Grip realized their design was lacking or they would not have added the rubber band.
  3. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
  4. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree that it's good to disagree, and I thank you for making your point so clearly by posting those videos. That second video made things click for me, and also explains why my phone hasn't ejected even when I did not use the rubber thingy. I always mount my phone in portrait orientation. Also, because I sit tall on my bike (A Tiger is not a sport bike at all) I tend to tilt the phone forward, which further reduces the likelihood of an ejection.

For users who want a horizontal orientation, riding without the backup would be foolish.
  5. EnduroRdr

EnduroRdr Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer:
    Formerly BR-LA, LR-AR, Houston-Tx, now South MS
    Actually I’ve never used the rubber band gripper thingy!
    My x-grip has never dropped my phone without it.
    I guess there’s always a first time!
    But i don’t temp fate much anymore. If I’m going serious off-road I put my phone in my pocket anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't tell in the first video, but the second video is of the Gen 1 X Mount. The Gen 2 X Mount has some noteworthy improvements. You can see in the images on Amazon the Gen 2 looks different.

I have had my phone eject from the Gen 1 while riding a bicycle on the sidewalk (I hopped off the sidewalk to the road causing the ejection). I have complete confidence in the Gen 2 X mount.

Today I did 19.26 miles of single track at Tahuya State Forest with the Galaxy S7 mounted in the Gen 2 X grip. No issues. Of note: the battery charged from 48% to 72% during the ride (50 degrees F, screen on the whole time, recording tracks on Locus Pro, 2 hrs 43 mins total).
    ohgood likes this.
  7. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

That's a damn near perfect day.... Ain't it ?

:-)
  9. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can probably use a bluetooth GPS receiver/logger like the Garmin GLO for this. Any app wanting a location, pulls it from this gadget via bluetooth which in my case works well for a smartphone with a dodgy gps. I use it in conjunction with this app.

Note that the size given is for the packaging of the GLO, it is quite small (3"x1.5"x0.5") and fits happily in any of my riding jacket pockets.
    ohgood likes this.
  10. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    I'm still tinkering with a Nuvi, an old Garmin eTrex (used now as a speedometer because the PO installed the wrong sprockets, throwing the speedo off by a large measure), a Samsung Tab 3, 7" tablet and an older Samsung/google phone.

The Nuvi is worthless in sunlight, even with a visor. Ditto the Samsung. The phone is mediocre to OK, but too small for my old eyes. The eTrex is hard to see in map mode, but it does work as a GPS.

So now I'm looking at LARGE screen phones, i.e. 5.5 to 6 inch screens. I'll never use it as a phone. I've read that IPS+LCD is a good combination for sunlight use. Heard Samsung's AMOLED does pretty well in sunlight. Heard about "nits" (not the head lice kind, it's, I guess, a measure of light and the higher the better for visibility in sunlight. Am I understanding nits correctly?) and that higher resolution plus HIGH screen brightness makes the screen legible in sunlight.

The eTrex is waterproof. The others all wear a plastic bag when needed.

Might any of you gurus recommend me a phone? Oh: I'm of scottish/irish ancestry. Can you say "Cheap"? I'd prefer staying well below $200.00. I retire in a few months; having to tighten the financial belt. Amazon shows a bunch of Chinese phones with high resolution, lots of RAM and space for an HD chip, some with aluminum body and Gorilla Glass. Reviews are mixed. Anyone have much experience with these cheap phones (seen a reference to Blu phones somewhere here on ADV. I've grown weary of scouring the site and reading a pile of threads to find a snippet of data. Thus this verbose post.)

Also curious if and how you guys attach a tether to your phone? (The holder from Hondo in Bozeman looks like it would work a treat: another $100!)

Playing with the idea of a RAM ball+base, with 3M dual-lock on the base and on the phone's case. Advice on that approach?

Multiple Thanks
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Kyocera Duraforce XD
    waterproof
    Long battery life
    Big screen
    Replaceable battery
    Cheap

The squeeze is the best holder on the market over or under a hundred. I use a silicon mount from amazon for twelve dollars
    CapeMan likes this.
  12. Yakima

Yakima NC 700

Oddometer:
    Yeah: I've been reading about the Duraforce. Ticks many of my boxes. And I do like the looks of that Bozeman mount: good cottage industry stuff. Thanks, Ohgood
    ohgood likes this.
  13. Dad

Dad Philogynist

Oddometer:
    Maybe this is a good place for this question. I am going to use my old android phone. I'm very new to using GPS on the trail and my search is bewildering because I really don't know what I'm searching for but I do know the term breadcrumb as a way to see where you've been.

Most of the apps a checked out seem to only show you the map that you built.

Is there a Android app that will follow you so you can get out of where you've gone if you go off the trail?

Thanks
  14. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think all of them will record your track (breadcrumb) and you can backtrack it easily.
    This is usually an option you can turn on or off as you wish.

Actually these days the terminology is ‘track’, not breadcrumb.
  15. Dad

Dad Philogynist

Oddometer:
    Ah very good thanks. Any quick recommendations for an app?
  16. Dad

Dad Philogynist

Oddometer:
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Dad likes this.
  18. Dad

Dad Philogynist

Oddometer:
    Thank you yeah I checked that one out the other day one of the reasons I started towards using the phone. I still have my Note 7 ( don't tell anyone) I'll be using that until it blows up

:beer
  19. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

You want big
    20170814_173131.jpg

That is an experia Z ultra in a powered mount, both have seen more than their fair share of rain up to and including Moses level deluges.