Is late September/Early October too late of a start

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dhermz, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Dhermz

Dhermz Canadian Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking for some feedback in planning a ride down to Panama...and beyond.

Would September/October be too late of a start leaving from Edmonton, Alberta heading west, then down the coast into Baja...

I have cold weather riding gear, just looking to see if anyone has left that late in the season.

Thank you
  2. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Could snow in September in CO. Ski areas will open in October.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    So as long as you can make it through the Rockies and out to Vancouver even October should not be a problem. Have your stuff together and prepared to roll and be ready to zip across that BC mountain zone when a day or two of suitable weather comes up .
    So of course stay out of Colorado ski country and other high ski zones of the USA and you are sitting pretty.
    There are no SKI-zones in Baja and mainland Mexico nor in Central America and the
    wet season is winding down .
    What more could you want .?
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't know how cold it will be up in Canookistan, you should know more about that then most of us south of you. Other than that if you get to the coast ASAP, you'll be fine. Seattle in late Sept. is 70's in the day and 50's at night. San Francisco in late Sept. is about the same as Seattle. September in Southern California is still quite warm and October is when we first start getting the hot dry Sana Ana winds that cause all of the fires.
  5. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    I left Oct 19th for Baja last year , took #97 down to California , it was a litte chilly in the morning camping around Crater Lake NP
  6. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    The perfect time to leave on a trip is when you have time to leave on a trip. You know more about the northern weather than those to the south. It seems to me the northern weather has the most potential to be challenging to a 2 wheeled trip. Early October is a great time to travel once you get south of I-80 or so. October in Baja is primo. Once on the mainland, it's nice to have the option of riding up in the mountains at elevation when the weather is good or heading down to the coast when it's cold up high.
  7. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I do believe October is rainy season in Mexico and beyond. It's usually over by mid November. Then it's great weather.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a hold of massiveuniball here on advrider he lives in edmonton and did last fall , what you want to do.
    I have left for Mexico every year for the last 12 years around this time period , I just watch the weather and then go when it is decent. Any where from 15th of Sept. to end of October. Usually just go straight down 15 / 89 or 93 until the weather gets better. why Baja? its not that great compared to the Mainland in my opinion. As Tucker said it could rain until the end of Oct. but usually just in the afternoons.
  9. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I did this trip a few yrs ago. From north Idaho to Sonora. Left late Sept. Came back a week before Thanksgiving.
    Went south thru ID, UT, AZ. Warm all the way.
    Two wks in Sonora with one 30 min. shower and one day of heavy afternoon rain.
    Ten days in Baja with no rain.
    Halloween in Death Valley. Cold as a witch's heart at the east exit. Froze my niblets that day.
    It was actually very nice the rest of the time going north thru NV and ID. Hit cold weather north of Boise on 95 and snow at Grangeville ID. This is now mid November.

The weather is the weather but the inland northwest is usually pretty calm until Nov. and the SW is nearly always warm.
  10. Dhermz

Dhermz Canadian Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the great feedback everyone.

I am aiming for a late September departure to head to the West Coast for a visit with my parents on Vancouver Island and then down into the states and off to Mexico. Been doing some reading and well, i'll just have to be prepared for all weather conditions.

Cheers!

Dave
  11. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    In years past I've ridden north back to Alaska in mid-September, and I know of quite a few riders who have headed south in October. One rider who was headed south in early November had to turn around before getting into the Yukon, but that is to be expected.

Stick to the lowlands if the passes look iffy, and you should have no problems at all that early.
    Dhermz likes this.
  12. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be leaving from Tennessee towards Panama and beyond in late July, I'd say as long as it isn't snowing up your way, you'll be fine once you get down this way.
    Dhermz likes this.
  13. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd suggest staying as high as you can unless you like to sweat a lot. The Mexican west coast is HOT all year, winter included.
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now hold on there Mike , the Pacific coast of Mexico is a very long bit of real estate and a year is a bit much to generalize over . There are indeed sections that tend to be perpetually mild in the south but from the USA southward to Mazatlan the variation through the year can be extreme . The Baja west coast can be chilly even in summer due to cool wind off the cold ocean current. On the Sea of Cortez the west Mexico coastal plains in summer can be truly hot but during winter the temps can be very moderate , no worse than around the LA -basin in California USA . There are also times when it may get downright chilly there and some night- frost damage to the winter market tomato and corn crops although rare is not unheard of in Sonora and Sinaloa .
    Farther south one may be surprised in summer by how temperate it may be as the sun may be blocked by cloud cover . The warmest days happen during the dry season when the more constant sun can have maximum impact during cloudless days . Of course the temperatures nearest the ocean will be moderated most , moving inland things generally warm up until there is a significant gain in elevation , so yes of course a high country route in summer will generally be less extreme, but one does need to dip through low spots between at times which will be hot
    One just has to be able to tolerate a bit of heat and pick the route best suited for the season .
    Dhermz likes this.
  15. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be staying fairly central, but definitely trending towards the mountains. Been looking for other inmates to link up with during the trip, but so far I've been SOL in that endeavor.
  16. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ride partners, especially ones that "mesh" are a tough find human wise and date wise. Central is mostly higher but "can" also be very hot.
    Like they say, "it's a dry heat", IF your not in the jungle, that is...
    SB, were you a weatherman in another life?:rofl

I had the hot part of the west coast in mind w/o specifying such.
  17. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Har Har :deal - weather forecasters on TV and radio are there mostly to
    fill the time to keep commercials from sticking together . Some are just there plunked into a vacant job with no clue as to what they are talking about .The most annoying are the ones who claim to be " meaty urologists " and have the nerve to run " long range " forecast stats for six or seven days - and then every subsequent day that long forecast gets changed around .In effect they make themselves into liars or tellers of fables . And the next day they do it all over again , with a smile .
    . Nobody has or can have anything sensible or useful to say beyond ,maybe, one day . Weather is very fluid and changable when a stormy cloud system is involved . One should be happy with a weather report which shows the existing conditions and the general direction in which the stuff is moving in the next day . One can get a fair idea of what to expect that way .
    No , I was never a " weatherman" but I did take a number of climatology related courses on the way to qualifying to become a high school geography teacher - which too I never actually worked as .

18. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So what's the consensus, am I going to melt or survive? :hmmmmm
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Survive! you are going places where other people live!
    Tricepilot likes this.
  20. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    And a lot of them live there without air conditioning! Who'd a thunk? :hmmmmm
    going south likes this.