Is Loctite 648 the right thing for bolts.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by TcRulz, Sep 17, 2012.

1. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Y'all. Not trying to cast dispersions on the guys who build KTM's but went to buy some Loctite 648 as specified for locking my rotor bolts and my engineering supplier says it's made to stop bearings from spinning and to retain them, not for thread locking bolts. So what would he know:eek1.

Well the Loctite info from there site states (and I quote) - Ideal for retaining of parts with a clearance or interference fit, i.e. retaining bushes, bearings, seals, fans, and liners.

So is my guy right? He says I should be using Loctite 272 and quotes that it's good to 200 degrees C. Tells me that the number 2 at the start of the number is for thread locking and then goes on to tell me what the 5, 6 and etc mean.This guy seems to know his stuff and I'm impressed (smart ass:evil).

So after having my bolts come out and eat my stator, what should I use to retain them? Please help:cry
  2. Sacal

Sacal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Service manual states Loctite 243.

Just curious, where did you get the info that stated 648???
  3. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For the the stator You are spot on with the 648..thosa babies need to stay in place, as You allready know :evil
  5. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hoping the above address works as the fiche I use from Cyclehutt states the bolts are held in by Loctite 648. Now not sure what I should use. Help inmates and dudes:D
  6. Sacal

Sacal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Use the 648...they definitely wont come out and its not likely you will want or need to take them out anyway....you could always weld the rotor on just to be sure :evil
  7. Katoom72

Katoom72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    648 needs 3mins to get to functional strength. 272 needs 3 hours.

I also wonder why he adviced 272 instead of 278, 278 has the highest breakaway torque of the all the thread fasteners. But it also has the slower cure time.
  8. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
  9. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Use what the fiche says. Trust me. One thing this forum has taught me is that everything has a purpose. Like that Loctite 242 and 243 are the same thing, but one is oil resistant. Who knew?

I even bought the green Loctite that you only use on the kickstand bolts. If you go through all the microfiche and buy every Loctite required at one go, it's a lot easier on shipping too.
  10. sstewart

sstewart Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have unwanted experience in this department. Use the 648,it is also used for press fit parts. It is bad shit. Search my posts and see what happens if the bolts back out.:eek1
  11. TcRulz

TcRulz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine looks exactly the same. No loctite as 3 of my bolts were snapped off and could be undone using my fingers and no tools.

No wonder really. I ran out of battery 200km from home, took 2hrs to recharge, tow started the beast into life and road 200km with six bolt running around with the stator:eek1 but the main thing is she made it home under her own steam:D. Hasn't left me stranded yet.
  12. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    648 For bolts on a bike:huh:huh??? We use that to hold valve seats and liner inserts into large engines. That or 290 depending on the application I have seen some propulsion equipment that needs that on propeller blade bolts usually when you remove these bolts you need to heat them to around 250-300C otherwise they brake I guess they REALLY dont want these coming out...

One thing I do know working for a manufacturer if it is in the drawing or parts list you better use it...
  13. K2m

K2m ....58....

Oddometer:
    +1 :freaky

648 is the only shit to use And replace the bolts as they stretch and should not be re-used. This is a total disaster if it fails, so best to follow instructions exactly. :1drink