Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    if someone really want to discourage someone of wanting your bike, you better utilize any of these logos over yours...
    no one that knows about bikes here wants them (not even for free... :lol3)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

nope, as long as there are no white Suburbans near by:evil
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll just settle for a Goldwing bike cover. I mean, who would
    even bother??
  4. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    White Suburbans turn Mike Mike into Cujo. It is a sight to behold.

My BMW logos on my 14 year old Beemer (blue and white) are covered by the bags that zip to the bottom of the tank bag "saddle". Can't easily hide the horizontally opposed cylinders.
  5. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every month or so some BMW club in Mexico puts on a big fashion show/ride/banquet. All participants are fully clad in full BMW gear including the mandatory turtleneck shirt with BMW emblem. Also in attendance are the miniskirt wearing models to line the halls. Professional photographers will be there to document the entire glorious event and assure that the participants photos are included in the weekend society pages in the local newspaper.

The purpose of these events is primarily to flaunt the wealth Beemer owners in attendance. Therefore, the Beemer owners bring the preconceived notion of wealth directly on to themselves. It's called being Mammon. So, blame your fellow BMW riders if you don't like the baggage that goes with riding a Beemer.
  6. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I'm putting this on my Suzuki.

[​IMG]
    And this on my Yamaha.
  7. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Is it OK if I still go to Starbucks??
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Is Mexico safe???

Sure is 3up in Sayulita :evil

[​IMG]
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    all I know is I took time to have ZERO stickers on my DR saying the size nor make. i parked it alot in downtown Guanajuato & Puerto Vallarta and no one even looked twice at it.
  10. andyc740

andyc740 Guzzi wrangler

Oddometer:
    Or just ride a Guzzi.

"What kind of bike is that?"

"Moto Guzzi"

"Who makes it?"
  11. Blind Warrior

Blind Warrior Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer:

Thank you Mike. I find it very helpful to hear other peoples' accounts of confrontations with rogue elements in Mexico. It is for posts like this that I continue to monitor IMS, despite it's new name and its poor signal to noise ratio.
  12. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL! Great memory you have, RMO, yep, that was when we stopped for gas last year on the way down to Anton Lizardo on the back route out of Veracruz. That one was a double last number on the plate, state government, chauffeur driven one, that put the squeeze on me when I was minding my own business.
    At least with the taxi drivers here there is a give and take, but those damned white Suburbans are simply dangerous. Woof, woof, arff, arff, bark, bark sit Cujo, sit!
    Somebody throw me a bone.
  13. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Harry Devert has possibly been located

LINK
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Hopeful News about Harry...

I don't have problems with white Suburbans, I have problems with white VW bugs, The old body style is still very much in evidence in Mexico. Riding in heavy traffic in a construction zone in Hermosillo, looking for a break so I could move right and doing maybe5 mph, the VW whips around me and clips my right side case. Gives me some serious wobbles but I stayed up. This annoyed me. I pulled up next to him and kicked the shit out the sheet metal behind the driver's door. Those VWs have good sheet metal but I got some dents in. The car was shit anyway with some rust and other dings. The guy pulled up a bit, allowing me to slide around to the other side and start kicking the shit out that sheet metal. I finally felt vindicated and peeled off. Two other drivers, having seen the whole thing, gave me the thumbs up. I have been asked if I was worried it might be a cartel car. Ten year old VW? A new Escalade, black with full tinted windows and spinner wheels would not have gotten the same treatment from me. Difference between crazy and stupid I guess
  15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I got out of mikes post was...." Holy crap,I'm in trouble,no way does my bike go even close to 160"!!!!! 130 and it sounds like its going to implode. I guess that's why I looooove my Busa. It's a very zen like riding experience.

Glad everything worked out safely for mike.

What I was trying to say earlier was that when riders share thier stories with those who haven't gone yet, we can take thier experiences under advisement and it helps us to gage our own personal comfort level of what we may or may not be able to deal with in regards to our own personalities and comfort level riding in a country where we don't speak the language and don't fully understand the customs.

How would miles experience been handled differently by a non Spanish speaking visitor on their first time to Mexico?
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the type, Kiko.
    You noticed their "attitude", too. They are definitely still out there.
    No way are they PFP, and they won't tell you who they are.

Schnizzle, I actually ride slow compared to Mexican riders, I dont usually ride with them for that reason. They are usually very, very capable riders and I know better than to group with them, they respect that, and I respect them, usually everyone gets along unless an unskilled rider lets attitude or ego get the better of them and then there are problems. The HD guys are almost always slower.
    And there is a certain Spaniard I know who can ride a GS12 like a 125cc motocross bike.
    There are some damn good Mexican riders, the older ones will surprise you. I have followed a guy from Orizaba in his 70s who could damn near drag his luggage through the curves through Huatusco on a Triumph Tiger. And he was the slowest in his group.
    SR, mentioned the unfortunate fashionista side of some riders here.
    Not all are like that, the fashionistas tend to belong to the official clubs and are easy to spot. They can be cheap tightwads who will try to stick you with the bill, too.
    On a cuota road, 130 is fairly slow, stay well to the right.
    Speaking even the most basic of Spanish can help and people will appreciate it and help you.
    The guys I ran into reminded me of the old QPP the Surete du Quebec from back in the late 70s and the 80s, real jackboot thugs.
    The OPP and Metro usually weed those ones out.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Liked the wording of this, so I added it to the guide at the front of the thread

LINK
  18. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is very troubling and my worst fear when riding Mexico backroads. I will not be riding Guerrero and Michoacan backroads for awhile, that's for sure.
    The fact that he has not been found only makes it worse.
  19. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    In regards to Harry Devert it said he POSSIBLY has been found and is in hospital unconscious. At what point does unconscious really mean in a coma?

I would be curious to know if he has signs of bodily trauma not related to a motorcycle accident.

Also I was a bit confused by the wording in the original " looking for" post. Is he Mexican or a Mexican rider, as in riding in Mexico.

Thanks for the quote in the appendix. Every now and then I say something marginally profound, I'm glad to see one of those rare fleeting moments in actual print!

So to speak....:D
  20. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    from MikeMike: "You will also see that most people have nothing to do with it.
    The biggest threat to innocent people here is not narcoviolence, but state sanctioned crimes commited by those enjoying total impunity.
    The vigilantes are not going to shake you down, neither are the regular military. Shakedowns come from state police, local police, state transitos, and local transitos. Some narcos are heavily involved in extortion from businesses, but they have zero interest in a touring rider's drop wallet. Only real low level or foot soldier types in the cartels would bother a traveler and then only if it was real easy score. They dont want unneccesary attention or problems. That is why I beleve the robbery of the Canuck family was not cartel, but simply criminals that normally get easy pickings from pochos during the holidays.
    Forget the network news like Televisa, too. It is all censored."...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

You hit the nail<!-- / message -->