Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. orbiter

orbiter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 of us from Houston planning to ride to Sayulita, Nayarit to visit family. Figuring 860 miles riding from Laredo border thru Monterey, Durango, Mazatlan Junction, Tepic, & Sayulita. Can anyone recommend clean, secure (for bikes) accomodations in Torreon & Mazatlan Junction where we want to stop to sleep? Appreciate any input.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    I make a point of riding through Torreon but there is a Fiesta Inn on the periferico that my Durango friend Miguel recommends. Clean, modern, American-style place with security. If you've not been through Torreon before you'll want to take the periferico all the way around the north side of town to pick up the cuota (40D) to Durango. Don't go through town unless you want to stay downtown. Can't help you with that.

How much are you looking to spend on hotels per night?

Fiesta Inn
    Periferico Raul Lopez Sanchez 6000
    El Fresno
    27018 Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico
    Fiesta Inn
    Periferico Raul Lopez Sanchez 6000El Fresno27018 Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico

fiestainn.com
    +52 871 749 3300

coords: 25° 34.922', -103° 24.233'
  3. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get a AAA map of Mexico for planning purposes. It gives a good overview. It will also help getting the spellings of the place names correct. No one will know where San Miguel de Allenda, Oaxaco, or Costa Rico are. A month to get to Costa Rica and back home might be a bit ambitious. For example: San Cristobal to Puerto Angel is 350 miles. Having just ridden it last spring I can say that it is not an easy 350 miles. Granted that I was injured and not moving quickly. You don't want to be riding at night so you have to calculate sunset at the destination and back time your departure adding rest and a lunch stop. There are guys on here who routinely knock out 500 miles a day. I don't find that a lot of fun, particularly in Mexico. When you get down from the altitude of San Cris it can get quite hot and you need to hydrate regularly (I recommend the cocos frios sold by the roadside.) Plot out your desired route and use google maps to get the point to point distances. Mexico is a big place and you have to factor in some time for illness and mechanicals. It is nearly 1400 miles from Eagle Pass, TX to San Cris. More if you drop down to Oaxaca. What are you riding? Will you be travel in two up? Have a great time. Don't ride at night.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Orbiter, welcome and .... ooooh golly
    First post, and first trip in Mexico I bet?
    It sounds like you guys are thinking of polishing off the mere 850
    map miles with two overnights.. On your first time in Mexico ?
    Okay, go for it:wink:
    Schizzman gave you a pointer for Torreon so here is
    a lead for you in" Mazatlan junction"
    That place is a town and actually has its own name
    VILLA UNION ,in Sinaloa state and there are a number of good motels there.
    May I recommend the Hotel Suites Refugio
    which is in the cluster of businesses and hotels on north side of Highway Mex 5
    just west of the junction and opposite the Coppel furniture and appliance store.You will recognize those names when you see the signs.
    Now, like Schizzman said NO RIDING AT NIGHT, so when you begin running out
    of daylight don't be heros and try to make it the next hunnert or two miles anyway because the little no name hotel you just passed does not measure up to your
    requirements .Have fun , ride safe.

And after the trip DO let us know how it all went. Please don't be like some who post one question and never give a peep of a response as to whether they actually used the gained information successfully, or not.
  5. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    That reminds me, Sjoerd. I need the new version of your guide(s).
    Can you PM instructions for ordering??
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd go through Zacatecas and if you want to see some Mexico outback, take the Mex 23 down to Guadalajara, then a beautiful ride down to Sayulita via Acaponeta. Saludos, jIm
  7. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly.
  8. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    I had $400 US stolen from my secret hiding place by a maid in a very nice privately owned hotel (with a safe in the room I might add) I was a dumb ass for not putting valuables in the safe. The maid was very thorough in going through my things, not so thorough in covering her tracks. When I returned to the room I noticed something was amiss. I checked, and the money was gone. The maid lost her job, the hotel reimbursed me and comped me several days. That would never happen at a large chain in Mexico...in the US fugeddaboutit! The only other time I have had anything burgled in a hotel was NYC. I have been lucky.
  9. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    Theft at the Vatican has been of a very different nature for centuries.
  10. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    That is an interesting approach. Stopping to enjoy and observe might be a better plan. Traveling in Mexico is not like traveling here. Pounding out the miles, grabbing a burger and checking in to the Motel 6 at 9pm and then getting up at the crack of dawn to repeat does not work there. That is not riding in Mexico, that is riding through Mexico. You do not want to ride at night, trust me and many others on that. Very little will be as you expected it to be.
  12. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb:thumb
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    If you can think of a hiding place, the maid can think of it as well.
  14. OldPete

OldPete Be aware Supporter

Oddometer:
    First, I would travel in Mexico but as a well informed traveler.

He was hopefully detained by locals to draw US attention to what is going on in uber-hot Michoacan.
    Page through borderlandbeat for an hour, if you are so inclined.

In before the move.
  15. PlznMySoul

PlznMySoul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not an expert on riding Mexico but having just returned from my 1st adventure to Mexico and CA as a newbie......> I will chime in.

There's a lot to see in Mexico and if you're truly on vacation, you're going to spend more days than you initially planned site seeing. My initial goal was also to ride to Costa Rica and return in a month. After surfing this forum, this specific thread and doing what you are now....asking questions, I took the advice of the veteran Mexico and Central America riders here and shortened my distance goal. Instead CR, I pointed for Belize. Best decision I made. I will get to CR NEXT TIME :evil. I was riding solo, so my on and offs, hotel selections and choice of sites was pretty easy. Riding two up, I imagine the pace will be a bit slower. More and longer stops along the way, especially with the areas you want to visit (very nice). You will want to spend a few days to enjoy however, depending on your route, it will take some time to get there. Since riding at night is not recommended, your riding days become shorter. By the way...the locals will even stress to you...don't ride at night. 300 miles a day is a good average as to what you can expect. Obvious more miles if you plan to just ride THROUGH Mexico and the type of steed you plan to ride will have an impact also. Riding South of the border is not like riding here in the US. For the most part, we can ride most US Tarmac without any "major" concern of hazards. The roads are in good shape, etc. we can even ride at night. Less stress on the senses and body as we cruise. In Mexico......Your body will get fatigued a lot quicker because you're on FULL alert 100% of the time (or should be), monitoring road conditions, looking for hazards, the unknown coming around the corner AND taking in the view. This will keep you tense. As a result, you ride at a slower pace than you typically ride. Don't get me wrong, you will have times of relaxation when riding. It's just a different kind of relaxation...:D You should have room in your time frame for weather and unexpected change of route/plans.

A wealth of information about riding Mexico is in this forum. Search the names of the areas you want to go and go from there. Read the ride reports, take notes of areas and things to see/do. Get a few maps and familiarize yourself with the country her layout.
  16. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Borderland Beat is not the best source of info.
    I doubt locals would kidnap a foreigner, that is not how they roll.
    Something, besides the obvious fact that the guy has not reported in, is odd about the situation. I cannot recall a case where vigilantes have taken a foreigner or even figure out how it would help their cause. That doesn't fit.
    I simply cannot see the autodefensa groups using yhis guy as a poster child for their cause. It wont help them. The world is already aware of Michoacan.
    El blog del narco trumps Borderland Beat when it comes to speed and coverage.
    If you had difficulty watching the interview with the missing rider's mother, dont even bother looking at videos or pictures on El blog del narco it is not safe for work or for children to view. In short, it is the real deal.

Ty's post above, is loaded with very good, very current, very useful advice.
    Follow it, you'll have a great trip like he had.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Liked the wording of that, so added it to Appendix B to the Guide at the front of the thread.

Thanks Ty, your check is in the mail :deal

You're spot on - riding in Mexico is a different kind of relaxation. I have two left feet, so Tricewife's idea that started our swing dance lessons - that's a different kind of relaxation too. :eek1 :lol3
  18. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    For my dirt bike, right now I have some Maxxis tires on the bike that I had to bought in a in Mexico in a pinch. They are real popular in Mexico, a pretty good value and last a long time, but they seem to be too hard and don't grip that well. I usually run Dunlop Geomax. They don't last as long but I like the grip and especially the sidewall grip.

The tires I am ordering to Casa Trice are Bridgestone Trailwings. for the strom I've experimented somewhat with other tires and Bridgestone Trailwings are the best so far. They are the stock tire on the bike.
  19. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ I hope they get here soon, I wish to study them

This event:

2014 Uncle's Around the Bend, Desert Challenge, & Adventure Challenge: Mar 6-9, 2014

Is coming up soon

Always a great time to rub elbows with dirt riders from all over Texas and beyond, renew a love for the Big Bend and the Study Butte/Terlingua area, and especially, ride with old friends again.

The twist this year is that the Desert Challenge and the Adventure Challenge have different focus, one off road and the other much more on road.

Only taking one bike, so I'm either going to spoon tires or run knobbies on the 300 mile heave tarmac day - yikes! I'm still not settled on what tires to go out there with.

Any casual readers within striking distance of Terlingua those dates - don't miss this ride. The jeeps have really torn up Old Ore Road and the dirt River Road has some nice deep sand, and who can pass up Black Gap Road. Last time up there, I stopped to help a guy who had torn his shifter off on the climb out of the gap.

Nice evenings on the porch at the Starlight beckon as well.

A bunch of riders will make the run out to Peguis Canyon also - no TVIP or tourist card required, it's just before the checkpoint on the road to Chihuahua.

As they say in Texas - y'all invited :deal
  20. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    When you get to Durango, I will show you a great route SW from Durango down to Ruiz Nayarit. It cuts out Mazatlán and the Espinazo Del Diablo or the new Highway, but it's arguably more fun then the Espinazo. It's longer than the Espinazo with no traffic. I have sent a lot of guys on this forum down that road. Poll: Is the road to Ruiz more fun than the Espinazo?

One thing is for sure, the road from Mazatlán to Tepic is hot, straight and boring and you can cut this section out.