Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done that route many times over the years with several different ADV rider amigos. Always a long day and fun ride! But I've never stayed the night in the sierra. Always too anxious to jump in the pool at the Hotel Flamingo in San Blas!

There are basic hotels in Mezquial, Huazamata, Jesus Maria and La Mesa de Nayer. I know of one ADV who even stayed the night at the hospital in San Juan Peyotan, just south of Huazamota.:muutt:hide:beer
    MAXVERT, SkizzMan and 95Monster like this.
  2. 95Monster

95Monster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no complaints 5663089B-AA84-443E-9D89-26DF0150A535.jpeg
    eddyturn, flei, jimmex and 2 others like this.
  3. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    Anyone with experience going to Jurgen Moto (BMW) in Guadalajara? Time for some routine maintenance before CA.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whats the price of the Hotel Flamingo? and does it have sand fleas at night like the rest of San Blas
    toowoomba and 95Monster like this.
  5. 95Monster

Oddometer:
    950p, so approx $50US. Restaurant/bar closed for dinner but breakfast was good. I haven’t encountered the sand fleas. But I grew up in South Carolina so probably immune.
    noshoes and Cal like this.
  6. MeCasa the 2nd

MeCasa the 2nd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And stick to the main roads when in those areas, even in countries with big problems there always seem to be roads that are protected........if it's real bad, ride with other vehicles

MeCasa
  7. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work! Sounds like you are having fun!!:photog While you are there, the colonial navy fort up on the hill in San Blas is worth a visit.
    SkizzMan and 95Monster like this.
  8. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    We've stayed there 3 or 4 times no sand fleas the girl loves it . Not cheap .

Max
    Cal and 95Monster like this.
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Max I guess I wont post the hotel I use in San Blas(200 pesos) jaja Its closer to the beach so lots of sand fleas right at dusk and then they go away at dark!
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    @Mainecoons and I were hosted by the Fuentes family in San Martin (just south of Oaxaca City) last week. Dan and his wife have a very strong connection with this Zapoteco family of artisans. Their family home/taller is right on the MEX175 frontage and they sell their work directly to the public so drop in if you’re passing that way as you’re sure to find that perfect piece to add to your travels collection. I sure did.

[​IMG]

They are quite well known in the artisan community and have taken numerous awards
    [​IMG]

Reina at the paint station
    [​IMG]
    slowriding, Stephen, jonz and 5 others like this.
  11. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Using Occam's Razor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Some of my most memorable and positive experiences have happened when I stayed in places like this...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You get to meet real people who are not catering to tourists

[​IMG]
    EvilClown, jimmex, MikeS and 5 others like this.
  12. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Perfecto amigo , My girl and i were thinking about a drive down that way to buy art and the wood carvings are at the top of our lists .
    As always :beer to gifts you give us . It's our task to unwrap them .

Max
    SkizzMan likes this.
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of the "casa particular" I stayed in in Bacadehuachi. Son. They had the huge tortillas going on the comal and it was one of those things that sticks in your memory.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  14. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    That area , Nocori Chico and thru to Madera is firmly stuck in the minds of everyone who has ridden through.
    there's an military base in Nicori Chico now and the various cartels vying for control of the workers (unions)
    circa Madera .
    At the moment I'm scared to ride through to Madera from Agua Prieta and tour the archeological sites but
    I guess I need to man up and do it cause everybody else is riding their computer .

Max
  15. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Be sure to check out Zeny’s tiendita in town and his mother’s next door. Some amazing pieces to discover there. Mention me (JD) and Dan to them so they’ll know they’re getting exposure here on ADVRider.
  16. texaspatrick

texaspatrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm planning my next trip down right now and was looking at going to Huapoca. What's the story with that area right now?
  17. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Since Shorty got busted the Sinaloa cartels status ( power and control ) is being challenged in many areas .
    Along the Sierra Madres from Sinaloa to the U.S., border rival groups ( erstwhile cartels ) seem to be probing
    for weaknesses trying to gain more plazas . A month or so back there was a battle near Yecora between a group
    from Chihuahua and the group controlling the Yecora plaza ( plaza in this context being used for the territory
    controlled by the plaza boss ) which extends to the U.S. border . Bullet riddled trucks and SUV's with fatalities
    just a few miles East of Yecora on Mx 16.
    So as I've read this instability has impacted the workers at several mines near Madera . While they are organized in a Union at each mine that's a thin disguise for the the cartel that controls them. It seems there is a struggle over control of these Unions .
    Maybe hook up with a local tour guide from Madera and figure out where to go. Quarenta Casas is cool
    and Huapoca looks fun though I haven't been there .
    When are you planning on being in Madera and what route are you taking to get there ?
    It's a day ride for me to Madera from Tucson and I'd do some exploring there .

Max
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Bisbonian and I are planning a day ride from Banámichi to Huásabas and Cruz del Diablo next weekend via Moctezuma.
    Maybe to El Rancho El Coyote but we won't have time to head down south to Bacadéhuachi from there.
    Our other option is north to Huachinera. I'll report what we find.
  19. slowriding

slowriding Dopeless Hope Fiend Supporter

Oddometer:
    Max, if you are into textiles I highly recommend Cooperativa Guillermo Brena, Antes "Casa Brena". The day I was there several of the master weavers were working and all invited me to look at what was on their looms, I was gobsmacked by their skills. There is a very full shop on site where linens are on sale at very good prices.
    SkizzMan and MAXVERT like this.
  20. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I haven't explored it but Bavispe looks like a nice small town . I've stayed in Huachinera recently and it was hard to find dinner not much happening .
    I really liked the ride through the valley to Bacadhuachi and continuing East to Nicori Chico is a great ride.
    I'd like to know more about Bacadhuachi , places to stay and eat .

Have fun, Max