Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    recharge and massiveuniball like this.
  2. xgringo

xgringo n00b

Oddometer:
    Somehow I don't see some laid back Mexican cop enforcing a noise law.To see what would really happen, go to 28:29 in the following link. Funny but realistic.

3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Am in Xilitla right now, safe and dry under a nice porch at the Airbnb apt. I rented.
    Haven’t seen rain like this in a long time. Maybe once in a storm out on Lake Erie. Streets are flooding and it’s only been 45 min of hard stuff.
    The ride to get here on 120 earlier was great though. Los Pozas tomorrow.
    Grynch likes this.
  4. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are in Saltillo and it rained like crazy last night.
    This morning we went to museo de Catrina, the doll museum upstairs was closed due to flooding.
    IMG_20190605_111814455.jpg IMG_20190605_110509485.jpg IMG_20190605_110051266.jpg

Attached Files:

pceire32, flei and SkizzMan like this.
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then the bird museum, . We ate lunch at Villas Santigo near the Zocalo from $90 pesos to $150. It is inside an old hacienda. Sorry no photo. IMG_20190605_112522935.jpg IMG_20190605_130009787.jpg IMG_20190605_125545173.jpg
    pceire32 and SkizzMan like this.
  6. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dinner time in Salltillo.
    IMG_20190605_202212587.jpg IMG_20190605_201606583.jpg Behind my friends house, on the other side of the hill, is the massive General Motors plant; Ramos Arizpe.
    IMG_20190605_190903385.jpg Now these Chili's with cranberry were definitely unsafe.
    chilejack, jimmex, Cal and 5 others like this.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We left Saltillo around 9 A.M. For the most part the 57D has been repaved with 12" of concrete. Nice job except the shoulder is deadly. 10' drop off. Also there is a ton of tire debri. This is the most debri I have ever seen in my 25 years of traveling Mexico. It could be due to the road surface, Or due to the North American trailers not having the best rubber on. An owner of a trucking company told me he does not put good tires on the Trailers going to Mexico because they would always come back with swapped out bald tires. Hitting some of this debri would not be good on a bike.

Also on the I 10 the bugs were so bad 100 miles before Van Horn going west we had to stop twice to clean the windshield. Poor guy on an old bagger said he had to stop four times.

Currently in Demming, New Mexico. The weather has been nice except for the bugs!
    texaspatrick, SkizzMan and jimmex like this.
  8. texaspatrick

texaspatrick Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Throwing this out there one more time. Arriving on the 18th. :clap:clap:clap
  9. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Mexico is most definitely NOT safe.
    The problem is thievery.
    Mexico itself will STEAL your heart.

/end thread lol
    Romero, Grynch, hansi and 2 others like this.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Patrick , I've described this before.

Rentals in the Cabos are dedicated to the toy bike dirt riding type of bikes and small scooters and quads to be used in the vicinity of the resorts .
    You seem to be looking for an actual touring bike and that is not likely to be found . 200 cc Italikas might get you a good distance , but two-up would not be comfortable . If the missus is a rider then rent two of them .
    You might get by with renting a side - by side quad , but need to ask how far afield you may go first .
    If you had great gringo amigo connections they might LEND you a bike .
    texaspatrick and pceire32 like this.
  11. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got back from Mexico and went to a party. Yep McLaren Sena . IMG_20190608_152816666.jpg IMG_20190608_171047549.jpg
    SkizzMan likes this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guy that owns the McLaren is some kinda billionaire. When I described my stories of Mexico, all the money that he has aquired did seem to matter. There is still hope!
  13. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Hey dude when you getting on the steel rat ? Will that be the July trip ?
    Good riding !

Twist it Max
  14. Ohio_Danimal

Oddometer:
    Si Senor. I’ll be boarding her in Carti Panama July 20th
    MAXVERT likes this.
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Is this now the official beer of Advriders to Mexico? 20190611_175458~2.jpg
  16. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello collective wisdom,
    I will be returning to Mexico on my airhead in July (I know it's going to be hot). Heading south from Los Angeles, stopping in Banamichi, Mazatlan and Oaxaca before returning home. I am hoping for recommendations of towns and hotels between Mazatlan and Oaxaca. I am planning 3 or 4 days for the ride between Mazatlan and Oaxaca. I have ridden the Durango, Zacatecas, etc. route.... this trip I plan to head south east to Oaxaca via Morelia. Between Mazatlan and Morelia where should I stay? I hear hwy 15 to Morelia is good. And, between Morelia and Oaxaca, what do you recommend?
    Thanks!
    Ricard, 1995 BMW R100R
  17. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure folks will have better ideas. But here's mine from my trip...

10 minutes west of Ajijic theres a container hotel on the lakefront. Juan Pablo is a cool guy if he's around. Rate was about $25cdn. Can be found on Airbnb.

In Morelia Hotel Casa Jose Maria (thanks @Romero) is the bomb. Highly recommended. In Centro.

I would also go to Patzcuaro because you are so close. I loved it there. One of my favourite spots in Mexico. I rented a modern 1200ft2 house for $25cdn. Also found on Airbnb. If interested I can try to find the Airbnb listings.
    Romero, roadcapDen and jimmex like this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Ricard, It will be good to see you again.
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Tequila is a neat little Pueblo Magico between Mazatlan and Morelia. Kind of touristy but I liked it. Check out the following post for ride report and lodging recommendations in Tequila:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/holy-mole-will-ride-for-mole.1289555/

You used to be able to click on the # in the upper right hand corner of a post and then just copy the url to that post rather than the whole ride report. Something has changed and now the link is for the whole report so if you're motivated, you can find the section on Tequila and then farther down, for San Miguel de Allende.

On the way back from Oaxaca, we stopped in San Miguel de Allende. Originally planned as an overnight stop, we decided to spend an extra day there. Again, touristy but worth checking out.
    SkizzMan, jimmex and knight like this.
  20. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Hey Ricard,
    I'm in Mazatlan now, will be here when you come through. Give me a shout, in the last month I did a big loop de loop around, San Blas,(I always stop there). Churintzio, it is West of Morelia, (You should stay there if you wanna go back in time) Mexico City, Dolores Hidalgo, SMA, Guanajuato, that's off the top of my head. on the way down to Mazatlan just east of Guamuchil, a great place to stay, is Mocorito its another time machine town you need to be there on Friday when all the boys walk around the central square in one direction and the girls in the other, and the street food carts are everywhere...