Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    After re-reading my post, I guess I wasn't very clear...Lol
    What I was trying to say about the Belmar is.. there are some rooms cheap, very basic, old fixtures, clean, no air, = Lowbrow.
    And some rooms not cheap, remodeled, new fixtures, clean, with air,= upscale.

The only reason I know this is my son rode down to see me with a friend and I told them to stay there...

I agree with you, that part of town is where I wonder quite often, and when friends come to town its the first place I take them...
    jimmex likes this.
  2. seezer

seezer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    John Wayne stayed on 5th and 6th floor at Belmar Siesta used to be $40.
  3. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stayed at the Belmar a couple times last December.
    The kid at the front desk got mad at me for riding into the lobby. They want you to call ahead and they will open a door that opens onto a side street for the bike. He said bikers we’re scaring the Canadians that stay the winter and like to sit in those chairs in the breeze way.
    I guess that’s that upscale thing kicking in.
    going south likes this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The kid was probably over reacting after a bunch of the loud-pipe-brigade made a noisy entrance during a bike week. I don't think a quiet and muffled bike ridden in at stealth mode would raise an eyebrow among the more experienced desk clerks or the clientele. Belmar Front door has been my standard entrance with motorcycles , leave the side door routine for the car.
    The place has character , and yes I can see the rates climbing as more of the rooms get redone, enjoy it . .Still not a bad deal for something so on the bay front . Just say ,loudly, "Nice day , EH? " to the those guests dozing along the entry path . = )
  5. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I just came across this rally in Aguascalientes. It's too late to attend for this year but may be next year? Has anyone ever been? It looks like fun!

http://www.fmabiker.com

[​IMG]
  6. ricard

ricard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    B9FEC0E4-4B97-4474-B2E9-1DBA41393356.jpeg
    I’ve been known to do some dozing in those chairs. Hotel Belmar, 2013
    going south, pceire32 and Turkeycreek like this.
  7. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny
    I just remembered Cal was sitting in one of those chairs when I pulled into the Belmar last time.
    Cal and going south like this.
  8. going south

Oddometer:
    Ya that guy gets around, thats for sure...
  9. going south

Oddometer:
    Is Mexico Safe? Pay attention, this is the road from Dolores Hidalgo to Union Garden, Guanajuato. Great Killer views... Pun intended, but no disrespect..
    I'll admit I've come close a few times myself, If your honest you most likely have to.
    I parked my bike to take a photo of the view, and found this... kinda gave me the willies, cause I'm always solo....

[​IMG]
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha - I see you are using Mapsme when you refer to the road to "Union Garden" ... what was the designer smoking when that name was applied to mean GUANAJUATO :imaposer at a certain level of resolution on screen ?

As for roadside markers and memorials to accident victims , they don't mean much to other than the bereaved families . Pointless clutter really, because there are hundreds , thousands ! , more that died in road accidents and which points are not marked ,( nor do they need to be)
    I know of scores of cross- road accident fatality locations around where I live that are never marked , the whole roadside would be awash in markers from coast to coast .
    Just pay attention out there, whether you travel alone or with a group !
    pceire32 likes this.
  11. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it is the helmet that makes this marker particularly noteworthy!
    pceire32, Turkeycreek and going south like this.
  12. going south

Oddometer:
    It was the Helmet that brought me to post this.

As far as the roadside markers, there is a back road out of Mazatlan, it goes up a small rise and over two sets of train tracks, very sobering, an literal forest of white crosses...
    pceire32 and chilejack like this.
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    hola amigos! I am presently riding my 250 super sherpa in the Yukon and the hotel I stopped at tonight has a couple staying here from Culiacan, they were very surprised when I spoke Spanish and talked of my walks along the river in downtown Culiacan....small world!
    SkizzMan, noshoes, EvilClown and 5 others like this.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was surprised when you pushed your bike in! haha Last time I saw MitchG ride in standing on his pegs.....now that did not go over very well.
  15. going south

Oddometer:
    I was wondering that, and yes it was maps.me, but silly me, I just thunk they was smarter than me... and somehow in my extended absences 6-8 months at Sea/floating Jail house per year.... I had missed the memo about the Nik-name... But and it's a really big BUTT I am now trying to make up for it...
    August 6th 2018 I called it quits.... If you all notice the Alaska part is no longer in my avatar....:wings:drink
    pceire32, SkizzMan, Cal and 5 others like this.
  16. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe a strange question but is it ‘safe’ to carry a hatchet or machete across the border? I always have one in case I need to make some small firewood.
  17. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure, you're fine. But it can be a rather complicated question. Because items like that, which are seen all the time in the hands of the locals, can make you the eye stare of a mordida in certain situations if they're discovered in whatever way. "Legal" or not is thus not the issue. Keep it/them in the bottom of your dry bag.
    Motorius likes this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Or find a ferretería - hardware store and buy a machete after you cross
    noshoes, Motorius and jimmex like this.
  19. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not recommend you carry a machete. However, my son always carried his, in open view in his solo trips through Mexico, (CA and SA) as well as in this picture in our trip to Copper Canyon (2017).
    Never an issue at the borders, with the Federal or State Police or at the many Federal and Military checkpoints we crossed.

[​IMG]
    Motorius likes this.
  20. going south

Oddometer:
    There's been a little bit of tire talk, sooo, I left a Metzler Karoo 3 rear, 150-70-17... with about 2,000-2,500 miles left in it, no holes-patches...
    in Santa Ana, Sonora. about 3 weeks ago, Not a popular size in that town, I was in a hurry to try my new, TKC 70...
    Great shop, young kid runs the whole place got a detail shop there also, so if you want your bike cleaned, its walking distance to lots of hotels that I would stay at...
    Shop is at: N30 32' .54 W111 07' .11
    pceire32, SkizzMan and Cal like this.