Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few times I have stopped at The Alba restaurant in Santa Anna and have my bike washed across the street in their parking lot.
    Speaking of tires! I wore my rear out, passed the wear bars into the cords up in the Yukon and I had to use a Dunlop d404 front tire on the rear, it was my only choice without waiting 6 days for a special order. The Super Sherpa has a 4.10 x 18 size which is not normal! SAM_2454.JPG
  2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think mine would be a bit less conspicuous...

3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Wear bars? you mean that metal fabric kind of stuff the shows when the tire is done?
  4. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I thought he pulled the machete on my back look off pretty well.
    Matthew.chizz, chilejack and Motorius like this.
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Reality show stunt double Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yeah...I'd probly cut the back of my head off yanking it out of the sheath.:umph
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Remind me to tell you my Banámichi machete story.
    going south, Motorius, ricard and 2 others like this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Reports of cartel related violence in the small Sonora town of Rosario, on Son Hwy 117 between Obregon and Mex Hwy 16.
    One report claims multiple dead, burned cars and houses but the newspaper El Imparcial from Hermosillo says no loss of life, just several cars burned and house damaged. The report is 15 trucks with armed men arrived, did the damage then left in the direction of Yecora. I hope the report of no lives lost is correct.
    Son 117 is a beautiful mountain road connecting Mex 16 near San Nicolas to Mex 15D west of Cd Obregon.

There was cartel activity in Naco and Agua Prieta last week with several fatalities.

I have no idea what is causing this uptick in violence. This area enjoyed "pax Chapo" for many years. Or maybe it is a settling of scores before the new 1800 strong national police contingent arrives in the state.
    MAXVERT and Cal like this.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info Tom
  9. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    USA & Mexico are building a new border crossing, Otay Mesa 2. East of Otay Mesa. Hope it happens soon. :-)
  10. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I commissioned a YouEssican flag/ bandera Yuessicana from my sister-in-law and she just delivered :clap

She declined to provide a bill. Thought maybe you guys would like it on Mexiphile Central, so here ya go.

P1030320.jpg
    going south and Turkeycreek like this.
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope those guys have gotten the memo to leave tourists and especially motorcyclists alone.
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The consensus around here is that this about making a statement, not a long term change in things.
  13. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tom,
    Last time I rode 117 between Rosario and Mex 16, it was totally bombed out with potholes a rider had to use the whole road to swerve through the gauntlet to reach the other end. A beautiful mountain road might be a stretch. :hmmmmmThis was 3-4 years ago, hopefully it has been repaired since then. Beautiful mountain scenery I would agree with, as with the rest of the area in Sonora, Sinaloa, and the rest of the country. With a bit of luck I might make it back south of the border yet this year, if not next spring for sure. When is the meetup in Banamichi this year?
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    It was repaved 2 years ago in the big paving push. The work held up pretty well and most is in good shape. We will see what the coming rainy season does

The Meet-Up is November 8, 9, 10 this year. It would be great to have you here.
    All the info is here on the 2019 Meet-Up Thread.
    Assfault likes this.
  15. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both Chris and I enjoyed hearing this story...
    Now we all need the TurkeyGrindo Banámichi machete sticker! :)

Rick

[​IMG]
  16. Shearpin

Shearpin n00b

Oddometer:
    Bugger - was planning on crossing Piedras Negras in the next few days but recent news isn’t good.

Day 1 my family and I are trying to get down to Saltillo, and if not Monclava. What are thoughts on the ground for this route on our way south to Guatemala?

Henry
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cross at Del Rio/Acuña pretty frequently and know people who cross almost every month there. Its just down the road from Piedras Negras. Monclova is my first day stop from where I live so Ive stayed there many times. Same for Saltillo, a very nice medium size city. I am not aware of any unusual security threats on this well traveled route but things can change quickly. Is there some specific concern?
  18. Shearpin

Shearpin n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply - just read of some recent cartel activity in Piedras Negras. Trying to decide between south from their or Laredo to Monterry.

Pre-crossing nerves I guess. Haven’t been into Mexico for a number of years, but always loved it...
    knight likes this.
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recent activity in PN - as in when and what ? Don't get too obsessed with that sort of news , those things come and go .A day after a shoot out it can be back to near normal . There is always some sort of "cartel activity " even if it does not hit the news reports .Stay informed as to what the situation may be on the day you cross , as in seeing military convoys blocking off certain parts of town - so don't go there .
    In April I crossed into Nvo Laredo on a Monday at around 5pm and had a nice relaxing night sleeping at hotel Galaxy , went for a big meal at Taqueria Arandas up the street and did a couple of hours touring around in the city next morning .Not anything worrying to be seen .Left Mexico in May at Cd Acuna after spending the night there at Motel Alaska . Again peaceful and quiet although the cop cars were roaming around in the night . I toured town in the morning as it began to rain .

If your target is SALTILLO the routefrom Nvo Laredo south on Mex 85 & 40 through MonterrEy is actually as easy as the Mex 57 route south from PN or Agua Prieta , certainly no longer . Just mind the road signage and route directing you west onto Mex 40 to Saltillo once you hit Monterrey

rant-ish remarks coming :augie
    What is causing all the problems is idiot ignorant brain damaged morons seeking drugs to inflict further brain damage on themselves and buying the stuff from ignorant uncivilized brain defective morons with a penchant for unlimited violence .
    Dry up the market and it should diminish until they refocus on another scheme for making money without actually working for it , like shorty .The buyers know to whom I refer( or maybe they cant anymore)

Hope I'm not being too harsh :lol3
    Morons can sometimes be likeable types on their good days . Except when they are tapping into live gasoline pipelines . It's a failure of basic education and instruction on civilized behaviour . Hate crimes - because they hate not having all the money .
  20. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Turkeycreek likes this.