Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim, i don't know how much time you are allotting to this trip, but I recommend at least 3 days in Zac. Cooler King and I have been there twice ( I think the first was a year after I bought those rear brake pads from you for my GS) and I am ready to go again. Stay in old Zac. I liked Hotel Meson de la Merced. Be sure to visit the Quince Letras bar. I liked the Pedro Coronel and the La Bufa museums as well as a tour of the mine. Elevation is 8000' so you may ge a bit short-winded. At least visit the Quince Real to see the aqueduct and the transformation from bull ring to hotel. From PV ride up through Maskota and San Sebastian, maybe hit Tequila. From GDL take either of the back routes north, bypassing Aguascalientes and the cuota (IMHO)
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    I’ll second Chilijack’s recommendations on Museo Rafael Coronel (great mask collection) and Quince Letras bar (pay the old man to play some ballads).

If you take Hwy 23 north to ZAC try the meat dishes at Los Jorges as you enter Teul. Then maybe a trago or two at this bar on the main plaza. Especially if you need to pee (you’ll see)
    6DA31545-A62D-4149-8E4F-2382E8A98D68.jpeg C8B2386D-0D9B-409D-8165-CE953834E232.jpeg
    going south likes this.
  3. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Ah. This gets complicated.

First week of September, I'm going home. To the Great Lakes region...one final visit. Some unfinished business, and this will probably be the last time I see it.

I'd planned to stash my ride in Las Vegas before that, probably this week...fly home, and pack up my ST for six weeks in Ohio, Pennsylvania and New York. Hoping to see the fall colors in the Adirondacks - I have a history there.

Last week of August I have business locally, two days' worth - medical appointments made far in advance. So...I'd love to double up, but it's not looking like it would work. Although that might change.

You've chosen to go further south than Vegas to store your bike - is it because of a contact, or do you know something of the winter weather that I'll have to learn the hard way?
  4. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Getting $ is not a problem. There are ATM's everywhere. Your US debit cards should work (most places.) Traveling on the bike I always stash some cash, distributed throughout my gear. Just in case...
    Truly, Mexico is a great country to travel in. The people are very friendly, more so than most of the US. Use common sense, avoid places you feel uncomfortable, don't behave like an ass... you will have a great trip!
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have always stored in Tempe, storage is a 5 minute drive 15.00 cab ride from the airport. Have friends in various parts of Arizona.
    noshoes and CaseyJones like this.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    going south and Davidprej like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    No winter issues.

Both Phoenix and Vegas are ideal for stash a bike, fly and ride in the winter scenarios.

Either one will work. I know many choose to use Vegas as that base as Vegas has the best flight prices and in the summer you can get up into the high California mtns quicker vs Phoenix. Several ADV riders keep a permanent extra bike in Vegas for western/Mexico use.

Vegas provides easy winter access to So Cal & Baja riding too...plus if your lucky you can pay off the trip right then and there.
  8. chilejack

Oddometer:
    And there is a nightclub in the depths of the mine! About 1500' below the surface iirc.
    going south likes this.
  9. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    That's the thinking. There's a direct flight out of our regional airport to Vegas and back...cheaper than the gas I'd use even on an MC. Seriously.

Okay. Vegas is ON, baby! Guess I get a late-August break from routine as I stash my NC700 down there.
  10. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where would one "stash" a bike in Vegas...or other similar places I assume near an airport? Storage facility?
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  11. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Every place has pluses and minuses, depends on where you start from and where you want to go.

As @eakins mentioned, Vegas has better access to a variety of riding - Sierras, SW Utah, AZ, but it's not that close, it's still ~200 miles in every direction before you get to any decent riding (unless you are interested strictly in off-roading, then there are a lot of options near by). It's OK for longer trips, but not ideal for day trips. Also, it's basically a day's ride to the Mexican border, so an extra vacation day each way. As you mentioned, you can get flights to LAS from just about anywhere and they can be cheap at the right times, so that's a big plus,

Phoenix is a relatively big airport, closer to Mexican border and has some decent day rides around it. Not a lot, but enough to keep you busy on occasional visits.

I used to keep a bike in Las Cruces, NM. Some good riding near by, but it is an hour away from nearest airport (ELP) and limited flight options. OTOH, it's right on the border and parking there was free. :D

My bike is currently in Las Vegas, because I come here for work, so it's a convenient place to park the bike and start from. Oh, it's hotter than hell in the summer. I basically don't ride the bike from June through middle of September unless I'm taking a long trip to someplace cooler.

Gustavo
    Cal and Davidprej like this.
  12. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Don't know.

A storage unit if I can find one reasonable. Not a big one; the smallest size. Just deep enough to wheel a bike in.

If that doesn't work, I can approach Honda dealers, and others if the Honda agency(s) don't want to play...about putting it in multimonth storage. Depending on the shop, it can be about the same price as a storage unit.

I guess if nothing works out, I could leave it in covered long-term airport parking - but then I can expect the cases to be broken into, and maybe it just getting towed off as abandoned. Or I can pawn it or ride it back home. Not the first trip or project that failed.
  13. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the great tips for hotels and things to do in Zac. I'm planning on riding SR's route ( long winding dirt ) from DGO to Fresnillo in
    October and am looking forward to my first stay
    In Zac .

As far as carrying cash or using credit cards while traveling in Mexico Viejo. I like to cross with $ 2000 Gringo's and the equivalent in pesos.

Max
    going south and Cal like this.
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Max ..." with $ 2000 Gringo's and the equivalent in pesos. "
    That to me suggests you are going to carry 72000 pesos roughly , worth of cash (US 2000 X 18 X 2) ?
    Overkill, waaaaay too much cash on hand to worry about . What are you planning to buy !!?
    Even if you meant only USD 2000 it is too much , just make sure no crooks read your post and figure out who/where you are .
    About $400 US out of an ATM every now and then does well enough for this traveller . So I pay a few bucks each time , that makes virtually no difference to total trip cost - and I don't need to disassemble the bike luggage to find the squirelled -away loot at inconvenient locations .
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know who Max is......so ....he is bigger and faster than I, plus if I run short I can get a loan.
    Jedi2Rider, noshoes and chilejack like this.
  16. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have used CubeSmart in Las Vegas. Stayed at a Motel 6 within walking distance.

[​IMG]

We like CubeSmart because they have boxes and shipping supplies and will hold our boxes for pick up and receive them from UPS for no extra charge.

[​IMG]

CubeSmarts also have a manager that lives on site. Very good for security compared to a lot of places with no one there most of the time.

[​IMG]

That's October 14th when we were dropping them off. When we went back January 6th...It was cold!

[​IMG]
    CaseyJones and Cal like this.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    a 5x10 works well
  18. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Yo dude the Mexicans need to worry about me robbing them
    A lot of cash will get you out of a lot of trouble
    pronto . Any way I ride with Jonz and he's the
    MAN
    Just remember everything you know is wrong.
    Only then will the mysteries reveal themselves.
    From the sacred Nass valley OM Shanti OM

Max
    going south, noshoes, Animo and 2 others like this.
  19. chilejack

Oddometer:
    How much cash and where to carry it is always a bit of a dilemma. I had a good spot for extra cards and csh on my GS but what if the bike's stolen? Hiding it in your luggage is problematic if you are staying in hotel rooms. If you carry it on you there is a slim chance of being mugged, so no really secure answer. The back pad area of your riding jacket might work unless the jacket is stolen. I have stashed excess funds in my dirty clothes bag under the underwear and smelly socks which should deter further investigation. I usually carry 4-5 days of clean underwear, socks and t-shirts after which, I hit the local lavanderia. On one trip I decidd to use a particular debit card for the duration. I used it at the Banjercito and then at the ATM in Naco. Several days farther south I needed cash and couldn't find the debit card so I cancelled it and a missing credit card. There were no mysterious transactions reported so I decided they must have fallen out of my wallet while gassing up. 3 weeks after I got home I found the missing cards in the pocket of my tank bag where I had cleverly hidden them away. It's this damned CRS syndrome!
    Redwing59, jonz, going south and 5 others like this.
  20. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Yeah. CRS.

Old-Timer's Disease.

Which is not the same as Weisenheimer's Disease. I know, because I have that, too...
    Cal likes this.