Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I remember names and faces. I just don't know which ones go together any more.
  2. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear ya! I often take trips with my wife, so that doubles up everything because we try to split cash and cards around between us. In the midst of last year's Colombia romp we spent a few frantic moments digging through bags in hotel rooms trying to find those "cleverly hidden" cards, got home and found little stashes of Colombian, US, and Brazilian currency all over the place. Next time I hit the road I think I'll just keep it to one wallet and one (shallow) luggage stash. Slight chance of theivery with the huge side effect of indignity over being suckered or much larger possiblity of CRS without the additional pain? Hmmmm.... dilemas. I already know I'm a pendejo, might as well just go with the best chances of not losing anything and accept that I'll have to eat it for the additional psychological loss in the event of a theft.
  3. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    I stash my cash in Mexican ATM’s. Secure and readily available wherever I go. Use only bank lobby ATM’s to retrieve it. No fees with my Schwab debit card. Carry the day’s allowance in my drop wallet along with my drop phone. I don’t stash cash on my bike and I don’t hide an extra key on it, either. Neither do I carry a fake ID. All my DL’s are real :augie
    Redwing59, Grynch, Cal and 5 others like this.
  4. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do they have power for a trickle charger?
  5. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could check with them, I think some units have lights. We have Shorai batteries so it's never been a concern.
    Davidprej likes this.
  6. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Using Occam's Razor Supporter

Oddometer:
    We should build a "is mexico safe" clubhouse/storage garage in Nogales. Land is cheap along the border, everyone is scared to live there.
    knight, going south, Motorius and 2 others like this.
  7. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Almost certainly not. Few of these places have power hookups. There's generally no need, for the typical customer, and leaving them out saves money and reduces fire risk.

My experience with winter storage is, if a battery is in good condition, it can survive 3-4 months of storage. If not...better to know it before going into Mexican backcountry, rather than during a trip. A new battery is probably cheaper than a primo storage unit with utilities.
    Rhode trip, chilejack and Davidprej like this.
  8. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    Build one in Douglas and I'll put the batteries on/off the chargers.
    I"ll even take em out for a ride once and awhile, just to keep oil in the heads. :lol3
  9. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    ATMs are widely available; however, on my first trip into Mexico (Sept. 2014), I crossed at Nogales and drove to the nearest HSBC ATM. HSBC is also my bank in Canada.
    I withdrew a decent amount of cash, which turned out to be an interesting amount of Mexican currency. As I was admiring this wad of cash, the ATM ate my ATM card.
    The US/Canada ATM standard of Card before Cash was not in effect, and the result my ATM card was gone for the rest of the 3-week ride.

I did attempt to get the bank staff to retrieve the card, but I was told, no can do because the ATM cards do not come with any personal information.
    My info was available in Canada, but not in Mexico. The HSBC staff was very nice to talk to, however, even when I suggested that we chat with my HSBC Bank in Canada to confirm my identity and with my passport in hand, I was still SOL. HSBC in Canada was willing to give me a new card. However, I needed to be in Canada or the US to activate it. Having an HSBC bank in Mexico turned out to not be as helpful as I had hoped.

I still had my Visa and Mastercard, and they worked just fine for the rest of the trip. However, lesson learned, and every trip back to Mexico, I have been very careful about picking out my card from the ATM ASAP.

Upon my return to Canada, I did ask my HSBC branch for another ATM card as a backup. No can do, they said, but we can sign up your wife to have access to your account and give her a card. No can do, I said... One of the keys to this second marriage working so well for almost 20 years is separate bank accounts. :)

Rick
    jimmex, knight, going south and 3 others like this.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good lesson learned Rick, and that also applies to grasping the cash and taking it out immediately after it protrudes from the slot .I found that out in Morocco in 2006. Inside that bank they said they could do nothing but also that it would work out and to hang on to my receipt from the ATM .Sure enough it did all come straight after four months and a bit of communication with BMO .
    More recently this past winter in Comalcalco an ATM did the transaction and printed a receipt but did NOT produce any cash . The bank was open and I immediately took the receipt inside to report the problem I was asked to come back in two hours when the noon " controla " of the ATM would be made . After a walk around centro and a short wait at the bank I was presented with my cash and an apology for the machine's failure

D o not dawdle when the machine goes through its paces . If the money is left in the slot beyond a certain number of seconds the machine will retract it ,on the assumption that you forgot it and to discourage thieves from snatching it , or "giving" it to the next client. And ALWAYS save the printed transaction slip
    from the ATM , even if it is for a negated withdrawal .
    As for replacement cards -why not close the account and start a new one =new card ? It sounds so simple that there must be a catch .
  11. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    HSBC Policy is One ATM Card per customer, with access to as many accounts as you like. Although you must choose one Chequing, and one Saving account as the default accounts for non-HSBC to ATMs to Access.
  12. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t need to build anything. Shipping containers are cheap!
    whizzerwheel and SkizzMan like this.
  13. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    AFAIK those bikes are carbed, do you have any problems with ethanol plugging the pilot jets? Do you use Seafoam (etc)? Two years ago my DR650 sat for 29 days and the pilot was gummed up. :bluduh
    Rhode trip and Davidprej like this.
  14. Rhode trip

Rhode trip guided by voices Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run the carbs dry before parking them. I think 3 to 4 months is typical for us to leave them in a storage locker. So far, they have started right up every time. It's the ones at home that seem to get neglected and left with gas in the carbs and clog up.
    noshoes likes this.
  15. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :beer
  16. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks all!
    I was going to skip GDL, but not now, @chilejack I don't have much time, I'm requested in Seattle, with moto.
    WX in San Blas, now, no rain, blue sky's, hot and swampy...
    Thanks again,
    chilejack and noshoes like this.
  17. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's interesting they didn't give your card back, did you know your account number on the card?

I spaced out at an ATM in La Paz, Bolivia, can't recall the bank at the moment, and left my card in the machine. Had that oh shit moment, went back the next day and explained I left my card in the machine. I have a habit of memorizing all my card numbers so I recited the card number to the woman (in proper Spanish:D), she opened her desk and took the card out and handed it to me. Dodged a bullet. Another time, after a 16 hour day in the saddle covering high passes in the Andes, rain and mud etc. I arrived in Huancayo, Peru and by the time I ditched my gear and cleaned all the mud off of me it was almost 11PM. Anxious to get money so I can eat I went to the ATM for cash and just walked away and left my card. I didn't realize it until the next day after I had ridden to Ayacucho. I skyped Citibank and told them. Since it was a gold card they fed Ex'd a new card to me. I wondered if it would get to me given my location but sure enough in 3 days it showed up at the hostal. A friend of mine recommended using the gold card for travel b/c of all the benefits (no f/x and related fees) it came with. No regrets.

PS - I wanted to ask if anyone knew what months are considered ideal weather for riding in Copper Canyon?
    going south, Tricepilot and Davidprej like this.
  18. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Using Occam's Razor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very kind of you noshoes....is there an airport near Douglas that we can fly Southwest or American into? ;-) Maybe Bisbee International Airport...
    noshoes and Davidprej like this.
  19. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    EP or Tucson, Uber from there. :rofl
    whizzerwheel and Davidprej like this.
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    We have an air strip here in Banamichi. Let us know your ETA so we can chase the cows off the runway.