Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. wanderlone

wanderlone Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Place to go before or after the ferry at Topolobampo Sinaloa.

Last time I was in Los Mochis the satellite map looked like there was a cool track to a beach through the mountains. Mechanical issues made me unable to explore but I always wished I had gotten to see what was there. For no reason I did some googling today and found a video and a track of what is there. Looks like it would make a great stop off before the ferry or before or after a CC trip. Maybe old news to some but I have never seen reports from here before.

Attached Files:

Arte, SR and SkizzMan like this.
  2. chilejack

chilejack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it’s like christmas , Max!
  3. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Duct tape? Hmmmmm

I was thinking safety pins myself. With all the hardware in people’s faces nowadays who would notice?
    MAXVERT and SkizzMan like this.
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Duct tape?
  5. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    MAXVERT and Loadtoad101 like this.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg JRW , you asked for a little advice , no can do , but a lot of advice is easier :-)

Trice supplied an informative link to a website that appears to be totally dedicated to the Anzalduas bridge .

But wait , there's MORE !

Anzalduas is fine if one is rushed ( shame on you !) and in a desperate bind over shaving time and distance to Monterrey.
    Anzalduas is efficient and it avoids downtown traffic while putting you through an agglomeration of maquiladoras to then dump you onto Mex 40 at the extreme west end of greater Reynosa .
    It is useful if perhaps if you start the processing there at an early hour and don't care a hoot about seeing how Mexican the Centro is .
    If you are late and want to seek a hotel you are limited to American ($$$$$ ) big box chain hotels on that western bit of Mex 40 or you can tuck the tail between the legs and retreat to Texas .
    . For touristic value Anzalduas is lacking and I find it to be akin to an elevated cattle chute .
    The type of hotels I see listed in the link are all of the big chain ,big box business-class international chains style . Nothing wrong with them ,if that is what you insist upon , BUT they charge the same high prices as those chains do on the USA side of the border. Remember, there are scores of other hotels which do not show up at all on those vaunted hotel-finding sites .

There is a very good alternative in the OTHER bridge from Hidalgo TX into city Center REYNOSA , It is OPEN 24/7 to provide you with the FMM and TVIP in the big building to east side of that bridge with plenty of clear directional signs to get you there in a matter of about 800m after you make a left turn onto the street as you get off the bridge terminal . You can enter the big parking lot at the front (east side ) of the building which is shown in the map as that narrow long grey unit below "Carril SENTRI". The bridge on the left is for entering Mexico and will be easy flowing , the one on the right carries traffic into USA and will always involve slow and standstill traffic .If heading back into USA on a bike give it a go and blast past as much of the line-up as you can .
    There are excellent hotels right in the CENTRO of Reynosa within a block or three of that bridge and tourist processing office . You could do like I do repeatedly -both before I leave Mexico or cross into Reynosa -and check in at Hotel Isel either before or after getting / cancelling the FMM - TVIP .
    On the map I put the blue dot right on top of that Hotel Isel which faces the Casa de la Cultura , a block NE of the PLaza Central .
    You could even delay that paperwork until the next morning .Later in the evening those tourist service desks will be very NOT- busy .
    Without the drang to get yer ass out of town you will then be relaxed and get that work done correctly and can check all your answers and not leave stuff behind .
    In the the morning you can choose between going west to China on Mex 40 or south on MX 97 to pick up Mex 101/180 to Tampico or Cd Victoria .

I practice this same process when I cross over at MATAMOROS , at any hour I get there . You can get a nice hotel in downtown MATAMOROS and get your paperwork done without anxiety or rushing .
    As my target hotel I aim for Hotel 6th Avenida at 502 calle 6 , a straight ride south through downtown ,very simple to find from the bridge# II out of Brownsville .( At about $25 it is classy and money better spent than in TX or the Big Boxes on Mex 40 )From Matamoros of course you would go south on Mex 101/180 , same as in the case of Mex 97 from Reynosa .
    Redwing59, Westbay, JRWooden and 3 others like this.
  7. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Excellent post, Sjoerd. It’s so difficult to get riders to cross and spend the night in Mexico due to the old “cross early and get as far from the Border as you can, as fast as you can” mentality. The Border may not be what it once was but it still offers a good experience for the traveler.

I assume there’s secure parking available behind that garage door at Hotel Isel?

I used Anzalduas twice last year to exit México and found very heavy traffic unlike the early years after it opened. Was no longer worth routing around town, IMO.
    severely likes this.
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hotel Isel has It's corner lot enclosed by a high steel mesh security fence with a gate closed and locked at night . It has a security customer door for anytime access to the parking and there is full time closed circuit TV oversight of that lot.

Likewise in Matamoros the Hotel Sexta Avenida has its own secure off street parking lot .
    chilejack and SkizzMan like this.
  9. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, there are also big stretches of beach that you can ride on south of Mazatlan.
  10. CaveJohnson

CaveJohnson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The tool kit on the Africa Twin is hilariously inadequate for working on anything with wheels, but it's stored in a super nifty box under the fuel tank that's accessible from outside the bike with a couple of screws, and just happens to be big enough to fit a few bills, the original documents for the bike, and any cards I don't want to carry around every day. I've been keeping 500 pesos or so in there as an emergency fund while on my way through Mexico, and withdrawing small amounts of cash as I need them. Barring a catastrophic emergency in the next couple of days, I'll have made it through Mexico on a budget of about $300 excluding fuel costs.
    noshoes likes this.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Max, for added security send me the list for safe keeping.
  12. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thank you kind sir I was not associating the towns / bridges / landmarks correctly :doh
    There's been too much dust in the air in my little corner of the world lately ....
    I'm looking forward to getting back on the road :beer
    pceire32 likes this.
  13. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heads up kids! Migration just south of TJ set up a checkpoint checking for Passports and FMM yesterday. People on the Talk Baja & Rosarito Living Facebook pages showed pics of being stopped. So yeah the old days of I've never need it before or you son't need it for Baja are long gone.

Fmm inspection.jpg
    Grynch, Motorius, going south and 2 others like this.
  14. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    If you ride with a Sargent saddle they have a neat little compartment underneath that is great for valuables & documents!

It is so easy & cheap to be legal in Mexico ! On other threads I am always hearing how many years people have crossed over without any paperwork and are bragging about it.

New day ! New Era ! :-)
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is what I was going to say. I believe many Americans and Canadians think they are some how privileged and above the law of Mexico.
  16. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's all fun and games until the shit hits the fan :trp
    Arte, flei, pceire32 and 7 others like this.
  17. MapleRoad

MapleRoad Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    But aren't Mexican jails similar to the resorts in Cancun and PV?
    pceire32 likes this.
  18. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Only in that they’re all-inclusive
  19. CrazyBrad

CrazyBrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody crossing into Mexico at either the Laredo or Brownsville borders on either Sept 1st or 2nd?
    pceire32 likes this.
  20. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    """"I'll have made it through Mexico on a budget of about $300 excluding fuel costs.""

:hmmmmm AND? ....that was spread over how many days .. .. or weeks ?:lol3
    and the fuel cost came to... ?? or were you huachicolering along the way :jack?
    noshoes, pceire32 and Davidprej like this.