1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I can speak for the jail in Nuevo Laredo. It sucks, big time.
  2. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    Hello all my friends
    Just to promote this event that takes place every year (March) in Leon Guanajuato
    Have you had the chance to attend some time?
    Is the World Rally Championship. WRC

Take a look

Take another look...

wanderlone, SR, flei and 4 others like this.
  3. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    I have ridden all those roads on my Ktm and is like my extra mini Dakar...

Super fun
    pceire32 likes this.
  4. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    If this is in the wrong thread, I'm sorry. I've been following along sporadically for a year or so and have a couple questions.

Seriously considering an extended trip this winter to southern coastal Mexico for a couple months of being an expat from southern Michigan. My problem is trying to locate an apartment or studio for myself and two small dogs for a max of 60 days at a non-unreasonable sum. Trying to stay in the $400-$500 US per month with basic utilities and a minimum of furnishings. My cell service includes Mexico. Craigslist MX sucks, AirBnB and VRBO are nearly useless. I'm not looking for waterfront or tourist areas but would consider that too! I just want to chill out, enjoy a couple months of being retired there and practice/expand my Spanish lingua skills. Near a major airport would be a big plus for the wife to fly in/out between jobs.

Any hints, recommended websites or other ways to find a place to live?

Towns considered would be Oaxaca, Ixtapa, Acapulco or any smaller towns in those coastal areas. Merida (Yucatan) is a secondary option. PV or Mazatlan areas would work too. Baja isn't out of the question either! :lol3 Seriously, I'm very flexible at this time. Suggest a place! I just don't want to deal with snow this winter. Sipping margaritas or Pacificos looking at the warm ocean is my dream winter and I intend to make it happen.

I'm traveling with a decently equipped older Transit Connect set up for overnight camping solo with mutts. I have complete shot records for said dogs, know about the insurance requirements for the van and the tourist requirements for crossing the border. My passport is current and this isn't my first trip into Mexico. All the other trips have been fly and hotel it or cruise in however. I spent two weeks in the Yucatan with a rental car in February visiting Mayan ruins all over the Yucatan peninsula and enjoying the culture. It's a great country.
    Davidprej likes this.
  5. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to drive into Mexico, Presidio to Creel, in October. My passport expires in February 2020. I plan on spending about 10 days in country. Will I have any problem entering?
    SkizzMan likes this.
  6. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are partial to the Loreto area of Baja Sur!
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joe you should be okay as your stated travel time in Mexico will still fit in before your passport terminal date , and you are only going into northern states .
    Of course there is always a possibilty that some nit picker new Migracion employe would hie to an arcane rule that a passport needs to be valid for six months beyond a proposed exit date . But odds are against that I think . Go for it . I have been in and out of Mexico with a passport with less than such a six month cushion and got no static .
    Then get home and start renewing that passport .
  8. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    Re: passports. I think it’s required to have six months left before entering the foreign country.

"As a general rule, passports should have at least six months of validity when traveling internationally. Most countries will not permit a traveler to enter their country unless the passport is set to expire at least six months after the final day of travel. That means if your passport has less than six months remaining until the expiration date, you should renew it right away."

https://www.fastportpassport.com/blog/six-month-validity-passport-rule/

OOPS! Reading further:

"6 MONTHS VALIDITY PASSPORT RULE EXCEPTIONS
    Some countries are more relaxed about the 6-month passport validity rule. Canada and Mexico are the two most commonly traveled countries that now often enforce the passport validity rule (only 3 months validity needed for Canada and Mexico). Again, please be sure to check with each countries entry and exit travel requirements before you go as the requirements are subject to change. As a general rule, you should have at least six months validity on your passport before you travel."
    SkizzMan and going south like this.
  9. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am in the process of renewing my US passport (already had the photos refused, took them at Rite Aid who said they were acceptable, they were not, and had to send new ones.) last month the US passport service increased the expected processing time from 4-6 weeks to 6-8 weeks. I am already at 7 weeks and no sign yet. Also they say the passport card will take even longer then a passport. WTF ! :-)
  10. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You'll likely find the best deals by wandering around looking for "en renta" signs or by asking the locals. The better your Spanish, the less likely you are to pay a gringo tax.

Here's some other websites to check out:

If you Facebook, Facebook has lots of "for rent in XXX" groups for Mexico.
    knight, noshoes, going south and 2 others like this.
  11. sleazy rider

Oddometer:
    I'm fooked! lol My Spanish is only so-so. I can get by, but it'll definitely improve with a lot of exposure. Thanks for those links and tips. I've got a month or two to shop, so no great rush I think. Worst case, I live in the van down by the ocean for a week or month or so while apartment hunting.
  12. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Sjoerd, with you guide in hand I will begin my adventure by auto not motorcycle.:dunno
  13. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:

Reading what @sleazy rider said, I'd be most wondering about getting back into the USA.
    I visited 16 countries in 4 months two of them Communist, and the toughest to get into was the US, and I have a US passport...
    Just something to think about... the 6 month 3 month thing...
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The dirty little secret that Customs and Border Patrol won't tell you is that if you are a US citizen arriving at the border by land they won't keep you out if you don't have a passport. You will need valid photo ID and an expired passport is not a problem. The actual intent of a passport is that it is your government's credentials to present to the foreign country when you visit. The passport requirement to re-enter came after the 9/11 attacks.
    Airlines and cruise lines enforce this now by not allowing you to leave the US without a passport. You can enter Mexico by land with no passport though.
    Don't obsess about it but if it's that close, get it renewed now because the wait times keep getting longer.
    It is actually faster to renew in a US Consulate in Mexico than in the US proper.
    Dirt2007 likes this.
  15. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another idea I would share is “House Sit Mexico.” It is a website where people are seeking someone(s) to come house/pet sit while they travel. We just stayed in a condo in Puerto Vallarta for 4 weeks, no charge. Just had to tend a cat.
    Worth a look?
    knight, SkizzMan and sleazy rider like this.
  16. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would look at Zihuatanejo over Ixtapa even though they are sister cities. A lot more year round expats in Zihua. Ixtapa is really just a resort town. I’ve been going down almost thirty years and even though we stay in Ixtapa (inherited a time share) we prefer hanging out in Zihua. I don’t know if there are any year round ex-pats in Ixtapa.
  17. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cross at Santa Teresa, NM, in the afternoon and then drive the 3 hours to Chihuahua before nightfall and stay there. Works well for me!
  18. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    And carry lots of high-quality photocopies (and or pictures) of everything. After our little MVA, (with injuries) all the various (State Police, Insurance Rep/ Insurance Company, etc.) authorities wanted a copy of all my documents. Had I not had high-quality copies, the originals would have gone off to the office and might have been misplaced, which would have left me SOL for the next person, who, at that time could have also questioned the fact I have the documents in the first place.

They did carefully compare each copy with the original, and once satisfied that both the original and copy was legit, they kept the copy and returned the original.
    I had five copies of my DL, Passport, Canadian and Mexican Insurance, TVIP, and the supporting documents shown below.

Critical to my Mexican insurance (ACE via MexAdventure.com), and freedom was also a copy of my home province insurance what clearly shown my MC insurance in Canada was still valid. The State Police and Mexican Insurance company both called the Canadian Insurance Compay to confirm my at home MC coverage was valid, as the Mexican Insurance we are null and void had I not have valid insurance back home.

I also backed up all the digital copies of all our documents to the cloud. This was very important and my son's girlfriend, who joined us very late in our trip while still in Mexico, had a dental emergency when we arrived in Flagstaff Az and ended up in Emergency for most of Sunday morning. See her hospital ID is still on her right wrist below.

It was an amazing trip, that was also full of unexpected little life challenges, however, without the correct documentation, that trip could have ended up me very expensive and very uncomfortable :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SkizzMan, Davidprej, Motorius and 2 others like this.
  19. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe not pictures. At my last pass through Ojinaga the would not accept my photos of the documents. They insisted that the copies had to be made by a copier or equivalent device. Fortunately the copier is right there so I could get copies easily.
    Raconnol likes this.
  20. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yes, self storage near the airport.

Had good luck here: https://www.publicstorage.com/self-storage-nv-las-vegas/1492

Also used Storamerica there. Moved simply because the rates went up considerably. :KLR

Things to ask - size and type of door, inside or outside access (Storamerica was inside and a bit tricky to get a full sized bike into but got it), access hours.

Ran stabilizer and seafoam before parking. Disconnected the battery as the electronics would draw when off. Always started...sometimes as long as 9-12 months.

Check your tires for punctures when you park. Coming back to a flat is no fun.

Low tire pressure can be common. Be prepared.
    Davidprej and Motorius like this.