Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Lately I’ve not encountered any lines, or anyone at all, at Colombia Migración/Banjercito. I’ve had to ring the bell for the Migración officer the last two visits. On a weekday you should get through there in 15-30 minutes max. And MEX2 is in better shape as they get it built up for increasing traffic.

If you want to avoid the SuperSlab MEX80 libre you could take HWY 1 through Anáhuac to the Monterrey Periferico 40 libre (I did last week) but it’s about as boring a two-lane as you’ll ever ride. On the 690 I’d just stick to 2/85 Libres.
    Animo and Oddfellow like this.
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    ???¿¿"""Then maybe Zacatecas Saturday? Cruise into SMA Sunday?"""?????

I hope that was a slip up and you meant SAN LUIS POTOSÍ. not ZAC . ZAC ?

If you have three days then of course tone it down and take the three - going south on Mex 57 and hang a right after SLP SLP at San Luis de la Paz onto 110 , to Dolores Hidalgo and south on 51 to SMA
  3. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah that would be almost as big a stretch wouldn't it? Trying to tick off places I want to go but haven't been yet. I was thinking cut out early Friday and get to Nuevo Laredo, then Zacatecas but that's still over a 400 mile day. Be a nice easy ride into SMA the next day though! If you were going to take 3 days/ 2 nights to get to SMA from Austin what stops would yo take?
  4. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you JD
    SkizzMan likes this.
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oddfellow , Keep it realistic , don't try to cover extra distance just because you manage to squeeze in another day off work . You will just be adding another day with a cramped schedule of riding in order to tick off some extra point on your map . Get off that kick of how good you are in the USA of riding 700 or 2000 miles in a day, I am not impressed .You are going riding in Mexico, on Mexican roads on Mexican time . None of that iron butt mentality is warranted . If you are going to aim for a"destination" in a restricted time frame then pick a route that fits comfortably at legal speeds with lots of allowance for relaxed tourist distractions , don't try to cram in the entire country .

Austin to SMA by the more direct route of Mex 57 through SLP,SLP which I gave as an example , comes to 1261km which is a very full TWO days of touristic riding , and even moreso if you do any sort of touristic sight seeing and wandering around in cities and villages .
    Your idea of going by way of Zacatecas adds another 200km and leaves you with the last day ride to SMA of 360km - if you took the fast way which puts you through San Luis Potosi , the city !.If you took an alternate scenic route you would add more km and more hours and the " nice easy ride into SMA the next day " which you envision turns into another nail biter to get to SMA before dark .

What stops would I take ? Oh , I guess I would ride around Nvo Laredo for a while to get a feel of the place , ride south on Mex 85, look around the back streets if Vallecillos , tour in just about any town and village along the way . If they have a little mountain I would ride up to the high overlook point above said towns for the views .In Monterrey I regularly make a point of going into the southern suburbs' mountain side rich neighbourhoods just to be nosy and for the great views over the city . Even after umpteen tours through those places I still find it fun and interesting to note the changes over the years . But that is my style of travel .

What do YOU want to experience ?, and where have you already visited ? If these are all new routes to you then slow it down,take your time , explore .
    Have you been through the Cumbres de Monterrey yet ? If not then take a few extra hours and go south past Monterrey then turn west across those mountains on Highway 20 and you will wind up on Mex 57 south of Saltillo to resume your run to SMA.
    Explore downtown Matehuala and ride west to the mine village of La Paz .Somebody will suggest going to Real de 14 which is fine but it adds a full day - which you can not spare . Any tourist stop can quickly consume a lot of time and knock your plan totally out of tune .
    Be a tourist , not a pony express courier kind of rider .
    pceire32, Oddfellow and Motorius like this.
  6. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips Sjoerd. I definitely plan on being in tourist mode once I get close to SMA and then a couple of days later Guanajuato. Finishing the week off in Santiago. Unfortunately I don’t have time to take a leisurely route down so pony express it is to start.
    Fortunately I have ridden in the Cumbres de Monterrey and I have seen Galeana, Iturbide and spent a day in Real de 14. Love that part of the world.
    Most of the big day is just getting the hell out of Texas. It will be boring but hey the reward is I end up with a week in the Central Highlands!
    severely, noshoes, SkizzMan and 2 others like this.
  7. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'll jump back in here, as everything has gone to Hades.

I had been planning to take my new-to-me NT700V down to Mexico. It seemed the perfect compromise: Good luggage space (with a top box) and tubless, pluggable tires. Better ground clearance than the ST1300 and half-again the gas mileage. Shaft drive, of course.

And of course, the plan fell apart - as I broke a clutch cable/levers with two-inch risers. My wrench is working to fab up a clutch cable and waiting on a new lever set.

My wrench is seasonal and will be leaving in two weeks. I have other places calling me in a week.

Leaves the Kawasaki Versys X-300.

I'm concerned in that it's got a chain, spoked wheels, tube tires, lower luggage capacity. As a plus, it was rigged to ride to Alaska. It's a current model and so parts will be, hopefully, available.

Think it's acceptable? If I take it, I'll ship it to Las Vegas, rather than ride it down. Store it, as planned, and launch, probably in November.

The Alaska trip, before the border SNAFU, was a disappointment in that the Versys was basically overloaded and top-heavy. This time I'll be pitching the camping gear; but tools and rain gear remain. Not sure, until I do a trial pack...but. Tire spoons and tubes, a waste of space and weight?
    severely and SkizzMan like this.
  8. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    CaseyJones likes this.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Just get on down here
    CaseyJones likes this.
  10. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out my new Mexico ride! It is a 110cc clone of a Honda Cub. It has 7 horsepower and 4 speeds, but no clutch, and it cruises at 90 km/h, when loaded with my 90 kgs. It is fun to ride in the city and on 2 lane country roads.

The only thing I don't like is that the gears shift in the opposite direction of any other motorcycle I have owned. Down is up and up is down. It is very hard to unlearn how to shift gears!
    20190901_132753.jpg
    Riding around in the campo east of Mazatlan.
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    perfect for Mazatlan! Is it really a Husky?
  12. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Take the 300, it's everything you need in Mexico. Make SURE your chain/sprockets/brakes/wheel bearings/tires are perfect and checked out BEFORE you leave. Most flats I've seen are because of too low a tire pressure {pinch flat}, just keep your tire pressures above 25 psi and you shouldn't have problems. If you're super paranoid you could use the tape sealant on the rims and run tubeless. The first time I went to Mexico I took the damn kitchen sink also WITH camping gear so you aren't alone in worrying. Good luck, ride safely amigo.
    CaseyJones and Motorius like this.
  13. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    The 300 is as perfect as can be for a bike with 4000 (total) miles.

Chain is lubed and tires are new a thousand miles ago.

I have an air pump and way to power it.
    severely and Turkeycreek like this.
  14. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is very fun to ride in Maz. The ultimate filtering up machine at stop lights.

Nope, not a Husky. I just like Husqvarna and didn't like the original graphics, so threw the Husky stickers on. It is Dinamo, which are typically Honda clones. The Italicas are typically Yamaha clones.
    https://www.dinamotos.mx/modelo/733

Honda still sells the Cub in Mexico for just a little more than the clone. They call it the Wave 110, but I like the more classic styling of he Dinamo.
    https://www.honda.mx/motos/modelos/index.php?categoria=motonetas&modelo=wave-110s
    SkizzMan likes this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll ride it if we meet up in Maz. haha I knew it was not a husky lol 4.3 liters of fuel wow
  16. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure anytime. It is plated and insured. Just try to remember when shifting, up is down and down is up?
    Cal likes this.
  17. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:

What’s an XR650L go for down there? Just curious...
  18. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    GP shift on a Club clone. Awesome!

I have one GP shift bike and after a long day of riding I'll occasionally shift the wrong
    direction and I know people think I'm being a squid as it bounces off the limiter.
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Make sure all wear parts (chain, brake pads, tires, battery etc) are new to newer and it will be just fine.

Q: What's the best motorcycle for Mexico?
    A: The one you have ready to ride
  20. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Who knows? I have seen very few. The Honda Mexico website doesn't list them for sale. I few weeks ago I was at the Honda dealership in Mazatlan and asked about pricing for the new XL450. They told me that 95% of the dealers don't sell them, but there are 3 or 4 "premium?" dealers in Mexico the do sell them. Maybe they also sell the XL650?
    Motorius likes this.