Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Hotel Cascada Inn has plenty of rooms and very secure parking, gates locked at night . It's clean and has free breakfast . I've stayed there for years ( 15 ) .
    I should be through there next week .

Max
    wanderc2c and pceire32 like this.
  2. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can’t hardly find a safer parking spot then at the Belmar, also great location. Rooms though, not so much
    If you stay there, there is a kind of secret set of stairs with roof access that has a view of the sunset
    Mofrid, wanderc2c and pceire32 like this.
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Max Is that hotel not in Creel?
    wanderc2c and pceire32 like this.
  4. pceire32

pceire32 Irish

Oddometer:
    I spent a week at the Belmar in the ‘80’s it’s the oldest hotel in Mazatlan. It was built in the 1920’s by a very rich miner Louis Bradbury. The used to have Boa Constrictors roaming freely in the hotel to keep down the rodent population. The Governor of Sinaloa Rodolfo Loaiza was murdered in 1944 in the Belmar ballroom during Carnival. If you stay there you will have shared some very famous company, including, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Rock Hudson, Walt Disney, Tyrone Power, Lucille Ball, Errol Flynn(room 35) & Gregory Peck & a lot more.
    The whole area around the hotel & the hotel has under gone major renovation over the last few years. I visited it regularly since a good friend of mine lives around the corner from it.
    There are also some nice Air B&B’s in the downtown area. No matter where you stay you can be downtown in a matter of minutes. Mazatlan has a great Tourist air conditioned (somewhat) buses that run along the sea front between Gold Zone tourist area and downtown, great easy transportation, besides local buses & the millions of Pulmonias & taxis. :-)
    noshoes, wanderc2c, SkizzMan and 3 others like this.
  5. wanderc2c

wanderc2c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank You! I will look into that motel!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  6. wanderc2c

wanderc2c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! That is fun history!
  7. wanderc2c

wanderc2c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Max. I will look at that motel too!
  8. wanderc2c

wanderc2c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was also requesting motel ideas for Creel!
  9. Thunder Tuna

Thunder Tuna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A buddy and I are planning to dip into Baja this winter (probably in January) as part of our midlife crisis / trip of a lifetime adventure. We've each got a truck, a toyhauler, a dirt bike and an ADV bike. We're planning to drive down to Bahia Concepcion, stopping to explore along the way, probably spend a total of 3 weeks in Mexico, but flexible to spend more time there if we really like it. Will be our first time in Baja. Is this a terrible idea? I'm not terribly worried about the safety aspect, though we'll try to be safe. I am wondering if the Mexican insurance on 4 vehicles is going to kill us on cost...while we aren't broke, we're also trying not to get there. Any other advice is most welcome.
    Motorius likes this.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a fair number of hotels in Creel, some new one shows up and an existing one may pack it in at unpredictable times.
    Pick one , walk in at any one that might seem to appeal to your taste or the level of luxury below which you will not deign to stoop. :D
    They don’t really need to have an affiliation with any big name chain or travel club .
    I like simple and basic and economical and will not cry foul if the bed has a lump or the hinge on the toilet door is tarnished .
    I have stayed several times at Hotel Karachi , last time in 2012. It is a nice rustic log cabin style building with ample parking at its rear. The rooms are cozy with gas heaters (‘12) and a wood burning stove in the lobby for cold winter days.
    Hotel Korachi is located on the street along the WEST side of the railway and is west across from the town plaza and a bit south of the rr station . You can figure that out .It is adventure travel after all .
    Korachi has no disco nightclub bar service or fancy restaurant to distract from its core purpose which is lodging for travellers
    wanderc2c likes this.
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thunder Tuna -you forgot the kitchen sinks .

And stop with that “ trip of a lifetime “ and “ mid life” spiel .
    Really , if you want to keep the costs down leave all that STUFF parked at home , or at least in a storage yard in the USA.
    As your intro to BAJA make a decision on which vehicle could serve as the one and only transport mode.
    Then come back in a later year and try the other mode. Stay in inexpensive hotels and wander point to point . With a” toy hauler” you would wind up stuck at a particular point because your “ stuff” is tied up there .
    . Or you play like a Mayflower trucker and try to find a new spot for base all over again and unload , do multi machine maintenance etc etc and worry about the stuff getting pilfered while you are away .
    The Bahia de Concepcion area is okay but would be sort of limiting if that was all you wind up seeing for weeks . Start with an adventure bike tour .Come back in later years and do dirt
    stuff from a single base if that is your preferred mode
    Bahia de C on 27 Sept ‘19 65EE7E49-8D13-4A06-921F-EBAA4FEB19CE.jpeg 8EE806FD-2B8A-455E-BE0A-6FC89CD529EA.jpeg
    Coast south of Loreto
    Animo, VTbeemer, Davidprej and 3 others like this.
  12. Thunder Tuna

Thunder Tuna Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well you couldn't be more wrong - both of our rigs have kitchen sinks, so we most certainly did not forget the kitchen sinks. :)

And it is a trip of a lifetime. We're taking 3-6 months off of our normal lives to use our toyhaulers as base camps just as you describe, making our way down from PNW to Utah, Arizona, California. The Baja part is just a part of it.

We won't just go straight to Bahia Concepcion, that's just the ultimate goal and turn around point. We'll make stops all along the way down.

However, if it appears it'll be too costly due to insurance or other issues, we might consolidate into one rig for the Baja part of the trip.
    pceire32 likes this.
  13. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    What type of insurance are you looking for? Full coverage, theft, etc or liability only?Most Mexico policies require FMM's and TVIP's. Buena suerte.
  14. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s only “ a trip in a life time” till you have done it the first time. Then it is “ how I spend my winters”
    Take all your stuff this time.
    Insurance is a big expense, unless you roll the dice and get liability only that is linked to your drivers license so anything you ride/ drive is covered.
    MAXVERT likes this.
  15. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just as a point of reference, when you say insurance in MX is a big expense, more expensive than in the U.S.? Could we cancel U.S. insurance, buy MX and break even? I rode into MX once, but only for a week it wasn't worth looking into cancelling U.S. ins.
  16. cwc

cwc . Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you go to page one of this thread you'll find a wealth of info. I use Mexadventure and they will give you an online quote and are very helpful if you call them.
    You may find out that just taking one bike to Baja and staying in motels is less expensive than insurance, fees, gas etc required to take the truck there.
  17. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I took our truck and trailer as far south as the border with Baja Sur a few years ago, and I think a month of full coverage for both was in the high hundreds
    Davidprej likes this.
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay:lol3 Don’t forget to bring Drano ( TMR) and empty the holding tanks ONLY at designated dump stations , not at some roadside pullout.

:dirtdog:jack
    But as cwc reaffirmed , minimize the motor home dependency, go into Baja on A bike and use the money not spent on insurance to support the hotel visits- and save .
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    No one has touched on the TVIP for the rigs and bikes. Are the bikes registered and licensed for the road? You said dirt bike and Adv bikes. You can only get 1 permit under your name. Are the Adv bikes and trucks registered under your wifes name also? This would allow you to bring in both if she is coming with you. You could leave the road bikes in the US and take just the dirt bikes because they would be listed under the truck TVIP
  20. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Go to bajabound.com and get some quotes.

No TVIP required for Baja.
    Davidprej and Cal like this.