Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    And their wood fired pizza - well, you know where this is going...
    chilejack likes this.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Mad Scientist of Canada himself, Sjoerd Bakker, returned for another visit to Casa Tricepilot today

[​IMG]
  3. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a pretty nice shirt he is wearing are those paint spots?
    pceire32 and Tricepilot like this.
  4. Gringo Viejo

Gringo Viejo No fumar escargot.....

Oddometer:
    Brilliant responses, and topical as well, as many of begin our seasonal migration into Mexico. I recall faintly, as alcohol might have been involved, a discussion at Turkey Creek's Hotel in Banamichi last November after many of us negotiated, mostly successfully, the "Green Slime Vado" on the way South to Banamichi. The Green Slime Vado appears without warning throughout Mexico, but enjoys Sonora especially. As explained to me, as I recall faintly but accurately, your motorcycle's reaction when confronted with this situation is based on two main factors: The Friction Coefficient and the Slip Ratio. The lower the Friction Coefficient of the pavement, the worse...ie Ice and Green Slime are near Zero, while asphalt at a MotoGP race is closer to 1.0. The Slip Ratio is the ratio of the wheel velocity freely rolling to the wheel velocity under torque. In other, much simpler terms: if you accelerate or brake sharply (thereby increasing the Slip Ratio) in pavement with a low Friction Coefficient (ie green slime vado) you will go down!!! I'm thinking that millions were spent on that research that Gustavo and chilijack explained so succinctly.....keep it steady.....Watching that vid, you knew he was going down!!! However, we've all done something stupider....heck, I hit a cow last April!!
    Tricepilot, pceire32 and Animo like this.
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Excellent GV.
    Sunlight powers the growth of the slime. The famous Rio Bacanuchi slime has gotten worse since the trees were trimmed and the pavement canted more to the south and east. It has taken down many excellent riders and even posers like me.
    Assfault, pceire32 and chilejack like this.
  6. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey
    If you are coming down the Baja and see a oncoming vechicle with their flashers on

Slow down

As it might be a signal that there is livestock or donkeys etc. on or near the road ahead of you

Last week ,I had to come to a complete stop to avoid a couple of horses that bolted across the hwy in front of me

Me has ayudado mucho to the oncoming driver that slowed me down in time
    princess jamaica likes this.
  7. MufflerBearings

MufflerBearings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone here crossed back from Mexicali into Calexico at the recently revised West (downtown) point of entry? I was familiar with the procedure at the old POE (squeeze through a couple of openings in the concrete barriers, cross lanes of waiting cars into the moto-only booth), but I haven't crossed via moto at the revised POE.

I'll be returning via Mexicali this weekend, and I'll be crossing on a street bike with a passenger and very wide side cases (the bike's; not the passenger's). Any wisdom on the procedure at the revised POE?
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... shirt ... paint spots ?

Nah , just bleach spots left over from trying to clean up food stains caused by sloppy eating and spilled taco sauce .
    :D
    Thanks again Trice for the fun conversation , the barbecue and the test drive on your new bike .
    Cal, chilejack, Assfault and 2 others like this.
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Chemical splashback spots from when he was cleaning a circuit board on a flux capacitor prototype for motorcycles
    Turkeycreek, Cal and chilejack like this.
  10. whizzerwheel

whizzerwheel Easily distracted Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also noticed he's cinched his belt up one notch...maybe cut back on the poutine? ;-)
    chilejack likes this.
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    One month away from the Banamichi Meet-up

Pop over to the Meet-Up thread for updates
    pceire32, Tricepilot and chilejack like this.
  12. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Very spendy , nice restaurant and some of the rooms have little wood stoves . Nice in December when it's
    freezing in the morning and I've got the Princess on the back of the bike .

Yep Skizz the staff does have an attitude problem .

Max
    SkizzMan and pceire32 like this.
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cannot stand that place (Best Western Creel) for anything, food, drinks, lodging, it sucks.
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    When I was there in the bar with you you were not paying any attention to your surroundings. You seemed to have a singular focus elsewhere.
    Motorius, pceire32 and jimmex like this.
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Elsewhere as in most probably that roasted chicken joint out on the highway.

:dukegirl
    pceire32 and jimmex like this.
  16. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    People still go to the BW? I just checked, it has been 12 years since the last time I went there (it was on the Trailer Queens ride). It wasn't good back then either... :nah

Gustavo
    pceire32 likes this.
  17. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Not chicken :icy
    pceire32 likes this.
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Get on the positive vibe train.

Unless an earthquake shut it down, your jam in Creel is way off the main drag and is known as Hotel Pueblo Viejo. Not really a stand alone hotel per se, but a string of cozy cabins. The property is for sure unique. Each cabin is unusual and distinct in a manner apart from the others, and each is constructed in sort of a frontier cabin timber style, each with its own whimsical touches.

The hotel is on the gentle up slope out of town to the East, and gives you the feel of a hundred years ago. Bonus is the golden light at the end of the day, as the sun sets to the West, its rays slowly envelope the fortunate up slope scene to the East properly, as if by an artist guided by celestial design. The effect is a buttery golden/warm light aura that can be felt. I would hope that everyone is touched by this at least at the subconscious level. It is subtle and never talked about enough.

For me, a major delight in Mexico is and always will be The Light, as it rises in the morning and then withdraws later, in this instance, slowly lowering the curtain on the rock walls in this artful canyon region in Mexico. This is a true treasure to find in traversing this area. I'll go so far as to say, the late afternoon light there is a magic unto its own. So many great memories and great feelings. All good and warm.

As for the hotel, find what I'm talking about here: Av. Profortara s/n, Zona Dorada, 33200 Creel.
  19. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    She was very engaging. :sweeti
    Turkeycreek, pceire32 and Tricepilot like this.
  20. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :chace
    pceire32 likes this.