Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. bdesj

bdesj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great news on the TVIP front, thanks! I still need some clarification though. TVIP terminates with FMM, granted. So I fly out and in the past they have always taken my FMM (or at least the little stub that represents it) at the airport. If leaving a vehicle, do I just tell them that I still need my visa receipt and then present that to immigration when I fly back for the bike rather than requesting a new one? Or does the TVIP still keep going until the expiration date on the ORIGINAL FMM even if I have returned that on a previous (emergency) fly-out, then I cancel at the border when I turn in the "second entrance" FMM? The important thing though is that I will be able to leave the bike without getting in hot water with INM or customs- loss of a $400 deposit I would certainly prefer to avoid, but not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

WIll be riding a wee-strom, TC. With electric gloves, insulated pants, down jacket, and double visor. I might have to rent a truck to get me as far as Las Vegas, will have to see what the weather looks like at departure time. I do love mountains, but understand that winter is winter, have to take what I get in that respect. Also, Copper Canyon is out anyway. When considering a trip there for next spring (before we found out about the shut down) I mentioned the idea to my wife and she gave me a massive stink-eye. Turns out I had already implicitly promised her that we'll make that trip together, at least the first time. Mrs definitely can't go with me this time around since she will be holding down the fort at home.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    It seems you are well prepared for cold weather.
    Mexican Immigration and the Aduana/Banjercito do not have computer systems that talk to one another. Clearing your vehicle permit is completely separate from turning in your FMM and getting your passport stamped.

If you are really nervous just take a domestic flight to Tijuana, walk across the Cross Border Express bridge then take a cab or Uber to the airport in San Diego to fly home. Both domestic flights, no FMM questions
    Cal and bdesj like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    It's getting to be that time of year...where is my tasty beer in Mexico?

Cerveceria Artesenal San Pancho
    Calle América Latina #80 Located near corner of Calle América Latina, Egipto, 63729 San Francisco, Nay., Mexico
    +52 322 135 0062
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/StZBvfx6bXFmhuk98
    SkizzMan, micahbf and roadcapDen like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    These folks did just fine do that, park and leave at times.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/living-2-lives-one-on-an-f650-and-the-other-in-the-real-world.938792/
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not correct. You can fly out and back and ride the bike back. My buddy Mitch just did this exact thing, he left the bike in Mazatlan for 4 months flew home and then flew back...no hay problemas!
    chilejack, SkizzMan and cyclopathic like this.
  6. SpiritAtBay

SpiritAtBay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    come to tx hill country - you'll quickly learn to go S L O W and S T E A D Y thru water crossings
    SkizzMan likes this.
  7. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm nostalgic.

I've resigned myself to posting how Mexico made me feel on my journey. It was months ago. But it burns every day in my mind.

This evening's thoughts...

Tonight I dream of Michoacan. One of my favourite ( yeah I'm Canadian) places in Mexico. When I was there the weather was awful. Mostly rainy with occasional sunny breaks. Enough breaks though to see what she really was. An ADV friend guiding me, I ended up in a great hotel. Met some amazing people. Many nights I wandered in her wonder. Just sitting on a bench observing late at night.. Never tiring of the beauty. Never tiring of how safe she felt; but just weary enough of how things could turn if they wanted to. But yet they never did. It was in my head. But it certainly wasn't in hers.

Morelia...I love how you looked...I loved you treated me. Pátzcuaro...amazing. thank you Horatio and your family. (He's not on here but I know he can hear me...trust me).

Riding into her...riding out of her... special. Michoacan. Amazing. I want to be back. The people were cognizant, amazing, curious. The place...she was beautiful and calm. I made her more intense than she was. That was my fault.

The experience...one of my absolute favourites. Can't wait to go back.

Michoacán...this is a song that I remember playing in my head when I was riding in you...riding on you. Riding with you.

I can't wait to go back...some day we'll reunite. Please don't change until then. But if you do, you will always be my:

EmmEff, EvilClown, Romero and 7 others like this.
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... make an opening in your colander for next year:-)
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    He’ll have to strain to do it
    radmann10, Mofrid, EvilClown and 7 others like this.
  10. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Booooo....
    Cal, SkizzMan and pceire32 like this.
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good one , :jack

Boo on auto complete and my failure to Czech the spellings :rofl
    SkizzMan and pceire32 like this.
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    While you guys were draining your noodles, look what showed up at Los Arcos

[​IMG]
    Motorius, cyclopathic, eakins and 2 others like this.
  13. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:

Beautiful

Find this film and it will put you in Michoacán.

upload_2019-10-19_21-33-23.jpeg
    Westbay, akaDigger, chilejack and 5 others like this.
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Sonoran girl Mari Felix.
    Westbay, pceire32 and Romero like this.
  15. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    Great actress, also Pedro. The director Emilio Fernandez used to carry a revolver around on his person. From time to time he used it. It was said if he shot a person, they probably deserved it.

My business partner in our film production company worked under John Huston and did Under the Volcano, told me that story.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emilio_Fernández
    akaDigger, pceire32, SkizzMan and 2 others like this.
  16. micahbf

micahbf Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where do folks stay on top of Mexican news (ideally in English)?
  17. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I subscribe to Mexico News Daily

https://my.mexiconewsdaily.com
    JRWooden, SkizzMan and Davidprej like this.
  18. Oddfellow

Oddfellow Beasty Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    JRWooden likes this.
  19. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Mexican newspaper websites. The Hermosillo paper is elimparcial.com. They have editions for other cities, inc CDMX
    Chrome browser has a translate feature
  20. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Wait, what? You said you have about six weeks, right? You could easily do a (OK, not very long) trip up to Creel explore around there, down to Batopilas, Basaseachic, etc. then head south through Guachochi to Parral, down to Durango and on and on. I'd start there, since it does tend to get colder in winter. On the way back you can pick the eastern Sierras and explore there. If you look at Por la Libre in my sig, my wife and I did a 5 week trip that took us all the way to Merida and back.

Depending on when you leave, you may need the electric gear until you get to central Mexico. After that, you need a well vented jacket... Winter is THE time to go ride in Mexico, just watch out for cold fronts (frente frio) that tend to bring real winter weather to places that don't seem like they have any. This is especially true in the western mountains, where you could run into snow and ice in the passes and "the dark side" of the mountains (north facing sections that don't get any direct sun light during the day when the sun is low on the southern horizon. You could be running down a completely dry El Espinazo and run into an icy section if there was a recent winter storm. DAMHIK... :knary).

As mentioned above, you can leave the bike and come back to get it, regardless of whether they replaced the FMM form you came in with originally. Nobody will care about that as long as you show both when you leave with the bike. FWIW, the year I broke my leg, I left the bike in Mexico for 4 months. Came back in a truck to pick it up. The nice lady at the border was only interested in verifying the bike had the right VIN before she cancelled the permit.

If you come by Las Vegas in the middle of the week (usually not there on weekends) and you need help with something or just want to have dinner, send me a PM.

Gustavo
    FTL900 likes this.