1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    From El Imparcial this morning (google translate)

CITY OF MEXICO.- Today, heavy rains are expected in areas of Nayarit, Jalisco, Colima and Michoacán ; very strong in Coahuila, Nuevo León, San Luis Potosí, Zacatecas, Durango, Sinaloa and Guerrero ; heavy rains in Tamaulipas, Aguascalientes, Guanajuato, State of Mexico, Veracruz, Oaxaca and Chiapas ; intervals of showers in Querétaro, Hidalgo, Puebla, Tlaxcala, Morelos, Tabasco and Campeche , and isolated rains in Mexico City, Yucatan and Quintana Roo.
    akaDigger and pceire32 like this.
  2. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Damn I was planning on leaving DGO in the morning to ride a two hundred mile dirt route SW
    to the coast right into the path of that tropical
    storm. This stuff is hard enough when it's dry but can become impassable when wet.
    I have been able to ride most of my dirt route from AP to Durango including the mind blowing section
    from Guachochi Baborigame Guadalupe y Calvo
    and through to Guanacevi . The descent and climb out of the Sinforoso canyon was serious.
    I'll post some pics when I get some better wifi.

Max
    jimmex, Cal, SR and 2 others like this.
  3. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    For this trip, time isn't why I had to nix the Sierra Tarahumara. it's cause I apparently promised my wife that we'll go there together, at least the first time. Not that I actually remember making such a promise, but facts is facts, right? And that still leaves the espinazo, Huasteca Potosino, Oaxaca, Sumidero (all new to me) along with welcome reruns of Zacatecas, Guanajuato, Morelia, CdMx, Puebla, and many more. Plus a nearly mandatory visit to my inlaws in GDL, so no reason to rock the boat. Don't worry- my dance card runneth over even without the barrancas! And Cinderella can't go because somebody has to manage the house and keep bringing in a paycheck, haha! On a more serious note though, my folks really do need her around if I'm going to be out roaming, and I'm grateful that she cares enough for them to do it and that they trust her completely.

I was mistaken about not being able to fly out, thank you and the others who straightened my out on that bit.

Now THAT is some good news :-)

Will definitely shoot you a PM for dinner meetup if I go through LV midweek. For some reason though, I thought you were in Jalisco.
    pceire32 and chilejack like this.
  5. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there a aduana at the border in Piedras Negras? IF so, at which crossing?

In the past I have used Allende. Trying to tip toe through foul weather between home and central Texas this weekend MAY find me at the border in late afternoon or early evening. If circumstances warrant, it would be a better idea to stay in PN for the evening rather than push on. An added benefit would be to do my paperwork (TVIP&FMM) that evening if there is an aduana in town.
    pceire32 likes this.
  6. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Are you going to make the Banamichi meet up this year.
  7. akaDigger

Oddometer:
    ¿quien sabe?
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kimo Sabe
    Mofrid, chilejack and Cal like this.
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are going to cross the border at Piedras Negras and coming through Allende then why are you even asking about aduana. In PN ?

GET Your FMM AND TVIP AMD SECURITY DEPOSIT all looked after and cancelled at the customs terminal on Mex 57 at the southwest corner of ALLENDE , Coahuila.
    At that km 53 terminal
    they have service 24/7 and NO waiting is involved.. On the other hand the aduana at the downtown bridge in PN may not be as easy as you think , they may not even be open as late as you envision for FMM and TVIP service .
    The bigger trucking bridge 1km south does have the services but they are not set up for traffic or persons coming in and then making a U turn back into PN. It is in a fenced off compound
    and you will need to navigate around in the city to get from your hotel and back , NOT a time saver. image.png

Good plan to hotel it in PN . There are some really nice hotels at good prices along the Mex 57 route to the city Center such as Motel 57.

Attached Files:

10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    I’ve been stuck in a 45min loop of cars at Allende before as it serves two border communities
    akaDigger likes this.
  11. akaDigger

Oddometer:
    Moot point now anyway. Plans have evolved.

The only reason I even asked was the memory of two hours at the Allende aduana. Did my paperwork there three times in the past. Other times probably twenty five minutes. Last time, three days before Dia de los Muertos, the place was a mad house. Same scenario this year only on a weekend. Everyone I spoke with on queue were Americans of Mexican ancestry going to the places of their origin to be with family and pay respect to their passed ancestors.

So you see, if PN was easier, it could be a time saver.
  12. micahbf

micahbf Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How booked up do things get for Dia de los Muertos? I’m thinking if I play my cards right I could be in San Miguel de Allende for it, but I’m wondering if it’s the kind of thing I need to book lodging in advance for.
  13. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    eddyturn likes this.
  14. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    chilejack and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  15. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My experience there last year...it was quite busy. Prices did go up. But always a place to be found. Recommend Air BnB for San Miguel....
  16. micahbf

micahbf Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    By the way, I’m staying at some knock-off in Parral ;)

9F01ED12-6BAF-4C79-B5CE-1F5AAA7E27F6.jpeg
    chilejack and Turkeycreek like this.
  17. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Banjercito publishes the official comprehensive list of their border modules on their website:

https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/atta...IO_OFICINAS_FRONTERIZAS_WEB___JULIO__2019.pdf

To my knowledge the consulates listed at the bottom will only issue permits, not cancel them

NB: sites that link this pdf (including this post) will not automatically update as Banjercito updates the list. Some links are to years-old pdf files. Best to open the pdf directly off the Banjercito page. Then you might find handy updates such as this....
    7D30C6E2-9979-4389-9E00-D37C6F98E543.jpeg
    akaDigger and bdesj like this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have.
    Mofrid and pceire32 like this.
  19. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    They do have arches
    pceire32 likes this.
  20. Sōul-ō

Sōul-ō sick and tired I stand alone Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone,

A possible opportunity is revealing itself. Rapidly approaching is a very rare opportunity to take 5ish weeks off work. The dates would likely be mid-Nov through mid-Jan. There's nothing I can do about the dates; I'll have to play whatever dates I get dealt. I live in Denver CO, USA, and I'm looking for a ride to do during this timeframe. The timing isn't ideal, I know, but I'd hate to miss an opportunity like this. My first thought is to plan a ride to Cabo San Lucas after trailering to somewhere near the border...

Currently, I have a 2018 KTM Super Adventure S (I don't like riding it on dirt). I also have a truck and trailer and can relocate the bike out of Denver to a better place to start a ride. (It's possible that I would acquire a more dirt oriented bike for a baja ride, maybe a KTM 690 or 790, or even a husky 501.)

Here are my questions:
    1. Solo. I'd be solo, and this would be my second ever tour on a motorcycle. On a scale of 10, how stupid am I to think about doing this solo?
      1. My only other motorcycle trip was a 1500 mile jaunt around CO and UT, all tarmac.
    2. Tarmac. I don't like wrestling with this 1290 in the dirt. Is it possible/worthwhile to do this on 100% tarmac?
      1. I've been considering adding Dual Sport bike to my garage for months, replacing a 250 dirt bike. There are a few good deals to be had this time of year, so I might buy more dedicated DS machine, but that leaves very little time to set it up/shake it down... (this would change the tarmac preference to dirt)
    3. Climate. I wish it wasn't winter, but there's nothing I can do about that. On a scale of 10, how stupid is it to do this in Dec?
    4. Routes. I know this is the Mexico thread, but are there other rides, (Not Mexico) I should be considering this time of year?
    Thanks in advance for the discussion. I'm off to search for answers.
    pceire32 and Davidprej like this.