Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    My only comment is that this seems like one of the smartest things anyone could do. Solo? No problem. Winter? You've got that covered w/ trailer. And there's tarmac all over the place these days, so no worries about finding a route there. Enjoy!
    knight, Sōul-ō and massiveuniball like this.
  2. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not stupid- that's the easy one. As for winter, I sure hope that isn't a problem in Baja since theMexipros are all telling me that I should be be mostly okay with a more mountainous ride in Feb. Can't say about the rest since all I know of Baja is a car trip down to Ensenada and back up.
    Sōul-ō likes this.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is actually the perfect timeframe for touring the Mexico mainland or Baja. Baja is way more fun off road IMO so I would suggest mainland. Trailer your bike to A. Prieta or El Paso or Ojinaga or Acuña or South Texas depending on weather and where you want to start. Having a truck and trailer waiting for you at the border is very nice when you're returning in the middle of winter. PM for route suggestions. You will have the time of your life riding in Mexico, te lo prometo. Saludos.
    severely, Sōul-ō, Quindio and 4 others like this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems some guys have all the luck of finding the crowds at Allende . Probably has to do with choice of crowding the MEXICAN festival dates when all the Paisanos head home for a short visit . Over the years I’ve not yet hit Allende on a busy day like that , biggest crowd I ever saw was about five cars ahead of me at the TVIP cancel Kiosk , and getting the new papers has never taken longer than 40 minutes. I just relax and don’t get upset about it.-part of the trip .
    I bet that on those particular busy days you would have a similar bunch-up at the border office AND a very long line of cars waiting to get processed into the US . I’ve been able to avoid Allende crowding by sheer chance by picking any time and day not noted for expecting such traffic crushes at Allende.
    The choice seems to be if you prefer waiting there or at the actual border .
    If time returning to USA is that critical then get cancellation done at Allende and then speed straight directly , full haste , northward through the Mexico exit without delay and bore :lol3 yourself into the lineup waiting for US customs .

Sr Brown , with five weeks and a preference for pavement with your current bike , solo , Mexico it is all an acceptable and totally sane proposal.

As this is only your second motorcycle tour I’d say go south in mainland Mexico and do a nice 5 week loop with all the variety of climate and terrain available there . Get down to Chiapas and turn around by different roads . ALL of it on paved roads
    Five weeks in Baja is pushing some sort of tolerance level . If you want to do a Baja dirt tour put that off for another year when you have had time to find the bike for that and maybe hookup with another rider to lessen the hazard of getting broken down , stranded or crashed in the desert boondocks .
    Sōul-ō, Quindio and jimmex like this.
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    1.) Zero percent stupid
    2.) Mexico has a well developed network of federal and state highways. Lots of pavement.
    3.) It gets cold in the higher elevations and it can snow. Or it can be sunny and just cool. Mexican weather forecasts are available on the web. Just stay informed. Lower altitudes - Beach time.
    4.) No. Bomb down I-25, take the Hatch exit, go over to Deming and pick up I-10. Go west to exit 5 then to Douglas AZ. Mexico is just down the block.
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Hey folks, I'm looking for suggestions for route and interesting sights

I "plan" ... to head out tomorrow morning.
    ( "plan" ... not a word I use frequently :doh )
    • START: I'm in San Pedro on Lake Atitlan in Guatemala now.
    • cross into MX @ La Mesilla - just because I've used it before, easy/typically not busy - but open to alternatives.
    • Route 180D and 145D would be the default north, but done that already
      as well as Route 200 along the Pacific coast ... I'd love something else...
      maybe see Sumidero Canyon? Good call?
    • TOUR: Teotihuacan (east of Mexico City) to see the ruins.
    • Route 105 to TOUR: Edward James Gardens (@Sjoerd Bakker says 105 is a nice route)
    • ON TO: San Miguel de Allende for Day of Dead - via Route 120 another @Sjoerd Bakker recommended route :deal
    • suggestions for route and sights on the north leg....
    • On to Larado to cross into TX see some friends and then head back to North Carolina.
    PS:
    If you ever come to San Pedro I suggest you look at this hotel: www.hotel-san-antonio.com
    they are NOT on booking.com so you have to send them an e-mail
    They are on the "waterfront party road" but down at the end so its quiet.
    They are on the far side of the road from the lake, but lake view.
    Nice rooms with desk & TV and (most) have small fridge. Community kitchen which is kept very clean,
    friendly staff and current rate (low season) is ~$8 USD/nite
  7. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will never argue with Sjoerd but 85 going to Xilitla was one of my favs. That said I didn't do the 105.
  8. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Damit... 85 looks very nice as well ... I'll be back again ;-) :drink
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:

I'd take 190 north through Chiapas. Because San Cristobal de las Casas. Cañon del Sumidero could be a nice detour too. Have you been to Veracruz? Solo Veracruz es bella, they say... Definitely worth a visit. If you are going toward Veracruz, stop at Tres Zapotes, an Olmec archaeological site. Have you seen Voladores de Papantla? It's north of Veracruz, but maybe takes you too much out of the way to Teotihuacan, if you must go there. Or instead, go to Zona Arqueológica de Cantona. Not as well known, but also a lot less crowded than Teotihuacan. Or you can go to both and compare... :D

There are 1000's of ways to skin the cat that is the Sierra Madre Oriental/Sierra Gorda/Huasteca/etc. There are no bad roads, and unlike the Sierra on the other side of the country, because this area was populated, let me rephrase that so my daughter doesn't give me the evil eye for poor choice of words - colonized - (there always was a significant population in the Sierra Madre Occidental too, they just didn't use carts and horses, so they didn't need roads) early on, there are lots of roads. MEX105, 85, 120 and many others that don't have a federal number that are just mind blowing. Just keep in mind that some of the minor roads could be not all paved. Some never were all paved, others were too hard to keep maintained, it was easier/faster to turn it back to gravel and fix that when the rains washed the road away. Make sure you have good tires and time to wander into some of the little towns along the way.

Gustavo
    knight, Turkeycreek, Cal and 2 others like this.
  10. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Gustavo:
    Thank you! I have been to Veracruz ... muy bella!

I've seen the ruins at Copan, Tulum, Tikal, Chichén Itzá and Palenque .... hell maybe I've seen enough ruins? :jack
    I don't HAVE to see Teotihuacan!
    if Cantona is a lot less crowded and nice then I'd be good with skipping getting close to Mexico City?

So Guate. --> Sumoto --> Cantona --> Edward James --> SMA kinda looks like this? Suggestions?
    upload_2019-10-22_18-39-35.png

Then things get BORINNG.... up to Larado........... I need to do something about that:
    upload_2019-10-22_18-49-2.png

any thoughts on how much time to all for Cantona & Edward James?

THANKS!
    Jim

Attached Files:

pceire32 likes this.
  11. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations on hotels (with safe parking) in Xilitla and San Miguel de Allende?
    pceire32 likes this.
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    In Xilitla, Hotel San Ignacio for quiet cheap and clean with nice views and location. Or Posada El Castillo for more $$

In SMA, Posada de las Monjas where everything is right
    Grynch and pceire32 like this.
  13. wanderc2c

wanderc2c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hotel San Ignacio has secure parking and a fabulous roof top seating area with great views, especially if the mountain peak is in view. You can see coffee growing all over the mountains. The last time we stayed there, the proprietor runs a tight ship. NO ALCOHOL. She would enter our rooms and turn off lights and fans if we were not there and wasn't too sure about giving us extra blankets. We have started staying at hotel Dolores . Clean, cute, secure parking (ask) , and a swimming pool. We loved the little breakfast restaurant past the north west corner of the square. Take a tour of the church if you can. They let you up on the roof.
    knight, SkizzMan and pceire32 like this.
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I thought of mentioning that Dońa Elena doesn’t permit alcohol on the premises. While that strikes many of us as a negative Hotel San Ignacio is a Mexican hotel where you can get a good nights sleep.
    Loadtoad101 and wanderc2c like this.
  15. wanderc2c

wanderc2c Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And the rooftop view really is spectacular, a great place to gather at the end of a great day in Xilitla for route planning. We found a bar not to far away
    pceire32 and SkizzMan like this.
  16. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your main focus is Las Pozas then just stay right across the street at Casa Caracol It has cement tepees for rent and small wooden cottages, also has food on site at a small resturant/bar
    severely, JRWooden and pceire32 like this.
  17. akaDigger

akaDigger Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doña Elena can be quite domineering. It can be quite cold at Hotel San Ignacio in winter. I've never had a heated room there. One winter, when my friend and I were there, he had the flu. She gave him three blankets and in her opinion, the fourth he requested would do no better than three, so request was denied. I was once scolded there for staying out too late (past midnight). But she did my laundry the next day. Elena speaks no English. If you don't understand what she is saying, she will happily repeat it... louder. I have stayed there five times. I love Elena and would stay again.
    jimmex, Mofrid, SkizzMan and 4 others like this.
  18. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Good summary. We are all her children.
    pceire32 and JRWooden like this.
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim, get out of that habit of going by routes that you have done before... because you have done them before . So you know Mesilla , now it is a good time to change things up .
    How about this : From Atitlan Lago go up to Huehue tenango, across to Coban then north through Sayaxche and at Libertad turn west on the great highway to El Ceibo where you cross into Mexico and continue on to Tenosique with the option of going through Emiliano Zapata or through Palenque where you could go south to San Cristobal or go west on Mex 186 to Villahermosa and then 180 or another chance or two to go south to the M ex 190 .
    It is not as if you don't have any options ! Look at the big map and stitch together some new -to- you roads . If you have ridden a road there are others that can be used to get to the same place .Don't revert to the mentality that you need to get from A to B as fast as possible using toll roads and be blind to all other ways you can connect A and B .Be independent and make your own decisions as to what road you take , These suggestions are just that ,you go out there and ride you and decide as you go .

And then the remark about " Then things get BORINNG.... up to Larado. (sic) " and you show the trucking route of Mex 57 -40-85 from SanJuan del Rio to the Laredo border , with a panicked -looking nip to SMA. Boring? - only if you are unimaginative and stick to those express roads, ignoring the scenery and "stuff " while looking longingly at the roads disappearing into the distant hills .
    Wake up,stop look around, walk around , look into every village , - unfold your paper map of Mexico and pick any of the other highways that wiggle their way north
    How about : SMA > Mex 51 north> Ojuelos de Jalisco >144 north>Mex 49 >Zacatecas> Mex 54 toward Saltillo > Mex 40 west to Coah 114 > north to Mex 57 > Monclova>Mex 31 east through Candela >NL 1 north to Colombia .
    Even on these routes there are connecting cross-highways that you could use
    If you have done that route and the Colombia and Laredo border crossings so many time that you are sick of them ( is that a possibility even ?) there are other crossings you could sample farther downstream and you could explore new and interesting roads getting there e.g how about the crossing on the Falcon Dam , or Cd Miguel Aleman or Cd Camargo .There are various paved state highways that get you there across interesting countryside .
    Boring is not a fair description of any road , it is a state of mind .
    As for the choice between Mex 105 and 85 as access roads to Xilitla , the 105 does not touch Xilitla or Mex 120 so in any case if on 105 you do need to hit the 85 and that is easily done by way of highway 102 from Huejutla(105) to Tamazunchale (85)

Attached Files:

ibgary, Cal and SkizzMan like this.
  20. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If considering traversing between San Cristobal and Palenque via 199 (either direction, obviously), I would dial up my spidey senses a notch on the section between San Cristobal and Ocosingo.