Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Thanks very much @Sjoerd Bakker !

I have several Mexico maps... but really would like the Guia Roji
    I've been to at least 15 places trying to get a copy
    (A 2017 edition exists I know, rumors or a 2019 version), but I can't find ANY edition ....

On my last crossing I did El Ceibo / Palanque which was very nice as were the ruins in Palanque.
    Thanks for the tips on the SMA --> USA route... no way I was going to slog up the truck route,
    I was just lacking inspiration ... thank you for providing a heaping helping ;-)

I am in Comitan now, going to head to Cañón del Sumidero ...
    Then perhaps head to the Cantonia Ruins and skip Teotihuacan on this trip.
    From Las Posas / SMA I'll be following one of your suggested routes - THANKS! :beer
  2. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    I rode it last year and had spidey senses dialed up based on (low level) warnings from locals...
    I know it's just a single data point and now the data is a year old, but I didn't see anything that even tripped the "alarm" !
    SkizzMan likes this.
  3. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Just returned from my continuing efforts to push a mostly dirt route through the Sierra Madre Occidental range.
    Starting in Agua Prieta , Sonora heading South through the Copper Canyon area , Durango , DGO and winding
    up on the Pac Coast near Tepic .
    My focus this ride was to explore a previously unridden ( AFAIK ) route from west of Guachochi , Chihuahua
    south through the towns of Baborigame , Guadalupe Y Calvo , Guanacevi and on to Durango , DGO.
    The crux being the decent and climb out of the Sinforosa Canyon . Here's some photos of the Sinforosa Canyon
    section .

[​IMG]

Early start , looking south

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Descending

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

El Rio

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the climb out .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looking back . Over the top of the highest point !

[​IMG]

6.500 ' ( 2000 meters ) descent to the river .

[​IMG]

Done and dusted :pynd.

If your the kinda rider that rides the Urique > Bato > Yoquivo >Guachochi route in a day and loves a challenge
    do this ride . Start early you will be riding through the Golden Triangle of Mexico :chace .

So I rode through to Guanacevi on dirt and then to Durango . I still need to figure out a dirt route from
    Guanacevi to Durango DGO and have yet to ride the last section from DGO down to the coast , but I have
    that route figured out ( thanks SR :beer) .

Max
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have always had a Guia Roji but wanted a new one and could never find one on the road in Mexico.....then it happened a large Pemex south of Puebla had a bunch of them for sale!
  5. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
  6. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    For all you adventurers currently riding in Mexico be aware of Cold Front #7 which is making its way down this weekend. Tamaulipas is already flooded. The Front is making its way down and will clash with a front of hot air coming from the South, producing great amounts of rain. In high areas, they are expecting temperatures to drop to -5c (23f).

For Thursday, October 24:
    Torrential rains in Oaxaca and Veracruz
    Heavy rains in Puebla, Guerrero and Chiapas
    Heavy rains in Coahuila, Tamaulipas, Michoacán and Tabasco

For Friday, October 25:
    Torrential rains in Chiapas and Tabasco
    Heavy rains in Tamaulipas, Veracruz, Puebla and Oaxaca
    Heavy rains in San Luis Potosí, Querétaro, Hidalgo and Guerrero

For Saturday, October 26:
    Heavy rains in Veracruz, Puebla, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Tabasco and Campeche
    Heavy rains in the State of Mexico and Tlaxcala

For Sunday, October 27:
    Heavy rains in Chiapas
    Heavy rains in Tabasco, Guerrero and Oaxaca

If you are in any of those areas, find a hotel and hunker down for a couple of days. You will be glad you did.

Saludos
    pceire32 and jimmex like this.
  7. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    That Sinforosa descent has got to be the coolest road in Mexico. I can't wait to do it. Did you run into many narcos? Were they nice?
    SkizzMan and pceire32 like this.
  8. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome photos!! Looks fun!!
    Assfault and pceire32 like this.
  9. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    @MAXVERT
    Awesome country, great pics. I want to see more and hear about it in Banamichi!
    MAXVERT and pceire32 like this.
  10. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Going into areas like that Mesa Tres Rios and South of Madera I always make a point of mentioning to the
    people in the area , gas attendants , hotel workers etc , where I'm headed looking for any clue to their
    feelings about those areas . Also I wave at many along the way gauging if they are tense at seeing me blasting by. Nope no Narcos , one bus driver even stopped to ask me if he was on the right road to Baborigame .

But of course you have , as I hear it , had some, shell we say "interesting" encounters with with some
    gentlemen who fit that description . :D

Max
    chilejack, pceire32 and jimmex like this.
  11. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    One of the reasons I decided NOT to ride the last section of my ride from DGO to Tepic . Also no rear tire left , and
    needed some time to get my big bike fitted out for Los Arcos and Riding around Mexico for the month of November .

Max
    chilejack, Animo, pceire32 and 2 others like this.
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    F4A06A92-C774-44D3-A0F4-079C88F26554.png -... Max.. it didn’t happen unless you can provide a map :lol3
    Is this dotted line to Rosalinda the route you describe as going down into Cumbres de Sinforosa ?
    It does not appear in any Guia Roji so I zoomed in on maps,me and found the detail you see above .
    Could yo give a full length picture of what your road was ?

Jim , for want of a Roji you should not keep yourself totally in the dark about roads . Haven’t you put maps.me on your smartphone yet ? Load all the segments of Mexico where you wish to ride and you will have a lot of very detailed maps to zoom in on . Then you can relate it to your paper maps
    SkizzMan likes this.
  13. Loadtoad101

Loadtoad101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While on that road did you pass any other vehecles?
  14. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    @Animo
    First: Thanks ... I think ;-)
    Im in Tuxla Gutierrez headed to SMA ... but don't know my Mexico Geography well enough to figure out if I'm screwed :doh
    I'll work on that after a beer...

Second:
    If you have a second... from where do you pull these forecasts?
    I should start doing that :baldy
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on! Head on down to the Parque de Marimba
  16. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    The report was from Conagua . Cold fronts are funny things in the tropics. The earlier in the year they arrive, the more rain they bring. Ventusky is showing the upcoming rain pattern pretty well. Your iPhone weather will just show you thunderstorms. Keep an eye on this map for up to date weather cells and their movement.

You are far south, so it looks like the torrential rain should come to you in the late afternoon tomorrow. You should have a chance to see the Sumidero canyon in the morning/early afternoon and see heavy rain Friday night.

I know you are heading North, but I'm not sure where. Saturday does not look all that bad if you are travelling to Oaxaca on the South/West coast but always expect late afternoon rain. Tabasco & Veracruz will have most of the rain all day if you travel north that way.
    Regardless, Friday and Saturday might not be great days to ride out of Chiapas.
    Starstruck likes this.
  17. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thank you @Animo
    I'm heading to San Miguel de Allende with the objective of being by next Thursday.
    I was planning to see Cantona and the Edward James Jardin on the way.... but not super-critical my plan is cast in silly-putty. :photog
    I'll see the canyon tomorrow and plan on staying here tomorrow night then "evaluate" my "plan" saturday morning
    I use both of those terms loosely.
    Fortunately it's low season the hotel is cheap and under-booked I think it's myself and only two other rooms occupied out of maybe ~30 rooms.

I sincerely appreciate your help! :beer
    Animo likes this.
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    If it is not raining mascotas ... I'll be there late tomorrow afternoon!
    Thanks for the tip!
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Marimba park is in Tuxtla Gutierrez
  20. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    thanks Cal!
    I'm in Tuxtla as well ...
    I didn't quite realize that the canyon "really" started in Chiapa de Corzo... :doh

but no problem ... I'm at the Chiapas Hotel Express... and while I'm sure there are cheaper places,
    It's a very nice room with desk, good wifi, good parking and free breakfast and friendly staff for ~$400 pesos.
    Cal likes this.