Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That means you took the north by pass road and the Marimba park is on 190 right in the middle of town, a little far for a walk or even a taxi. I worked with Habitat Chiapas and used to love going there to listen to the music and watch the great dancers.
    SkizzMan and chilejack like this.
  2. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    The boat tours depart from Embarcadero cahuare, or Chiapa de Corzo, it's not that far away, about 20min. But, you are closer to the miradores, which is a great ride. Choices, choices. :thumb
    Cal likes this.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    @Cal @Animo

Damn... Choices Choices is right ...

My first choice was to book the hotel for tomorrow night ;-)

From reading the boats cost $200/$250 pesos ... I'll ride over in the AM and get one from one of those two places - I have them located...
    then when I get back ... I'll go to the overlooks (also located)
    then to the parque ... if not pouring rain :vardy

Thanks Guys!

for some reason I'd always "assumed" Habitat was USA-only...
    by next year my Spanish should be good enough to go immerse myself on a Mx-Habitat project ...
    that would be way-cool! :rayof
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I heard GR is no longer and they were never that great of detail anyway.
    Animo and akaDigger like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I find this user interface much better.
    https://osmand.net/

Fully routable and easy to use.

The free version allows 10 maps, the + version is a few $ and unlimited downloads of maps and .gpx imports.

Both maps.me and Osmand use the same Open Street Maps (OSM).

Also available free as basemaps for Garmins here
    http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Of course you can also use wifi and download offline regions in your phones Google Maps too.
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Yep . One truck full of folks coming up the north side. One coming down the south side.
  7. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    I'm not certain, but was told by Sanborn (Mexican insurance company - not the department store chain) that the company had reformed.
    They also told me that the Sanborn dept. stores carried the maps.... that part I know is wrong becuase I've been to 3 different stores ... :doh
    so ... I'm kinda clueless there....

@Sjoerd Bakker - yes I have Maps.Me, OSMAnd, and Google maps all with the cached off-line data downloaded, and (in mexico) switch between the Garmin provided maps and the OSM mapset that I loaded ... depending on which seems to have the detail I want ...

but for whatever reason I kinda just like looking at a paper map when I'm in phase 1 of route planning....
    but ... I'm old ;-) :gerg
  8. bdesj

bdesj Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like paper maps too, don't have any way to read pixels on the road. Guia Roji does have a website- just checked to be sure it's still up, but did not delve into it this time. And it won't do you much good while already in MX, but Amazon lists used older atlases starting at a reasonable price. Newer editions are outrageously priced.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Their website is still up and they show a 2017 version. I didn't try to order it. Older editions are around on Mercado Libre (Mex craigslist

Their detail was ok but they had several errors that persisted for years uncorrected. Mislocated intersections of major roads and showing roads that have been paved for 10 years as still gravel.

I found it useful and wish that a guest had not walked off with it. (2011 version)
    Sanborns had a good selection of maps last time I looked.
  10. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found my GR map book at a bookstore in Monterrey...
    Cal likes this.
  11. Sōul-ō

Sōul-ō sick and tired I stand alone Supporter

Oddometer:
    First of all thanks for all the support on my previous post in this thread.

...and it begins
    Hall pass from work, check
    Hall pass from wifey, check

I'm brainstorming. I'm trying to work out a way to get some family time by flying the wife and kids to meet me somewhere for a holiday in the middle of this trip. Right now I'm thinking about riding from Dallas TX to Belize for Christmas/New Years' Eve, flying the fam into/out of Belize.

Another option: My buddy may rent a bike for the trip. He has a business facility inspection in Guadalajara, so we'd have to go through there.

Again no real plan yet...
    Technically, I'm off from Nov 20 to Jan 10.

Launch point; I'll probably leave the East Dallas TX area and camp the first night on Padre Island National Sea Shore. I'm currently thinking about going to Belize via a couple of cool places in Mexico.

Dates: Here's the itinerary I'm currently working on
    Start: Nov 29; I can probably move this earlier if I need to, but Thanksgiving with the wifey's fam in Dallas would be a good thing.
    Stop: to Dec 24; I'll need be back in the Dallas Area for Christmas Eve/Day --OR-- I'll fly the family somewhere to join me for Christmas/New Years' Eve, and then this date is irrelevent.

The more I think about flying the family down, the more I like that idea...​

Aside from routing, I have other questions.

Routing; Open, but I like the idea of Riding to Belize, not sure why. Wifey and kids would LOVE the holiday on a beach, so it has to be swimmable beaches.
    Camping; should I bring camping gear (is it easy and safe to find camping in Mexico), or should I just scrub that idea and use hotels instead of taking up precious cargo space with camp gear?
    Maps; I'm reading this thread. I get the best maps are hard to come by. I need maps...
    GPS; I normally use my phone, I do have a bad elf Bluetooth GPS/GLONASS receiver that pairs with the phone, so I'll get good gps data on the iPhone. Good enough or buy a dedicated GPS?
    I'm planning the trip on Furkot and I primarily use Scenic 2 for nav on an iPhone X.
    I do have an inReach for tracking/messaging.​
    Reference material, aside from the obvious unfathomable depth of knowledge you guys have, and the fact that you're on here supporting the folks in the middle of their trips, what reference materials are there to explain permits/insurance/how to handle a shakedown/etiquette, etc... I do travel a lot for work. I've been to Central and South America quite a bit. I'm familiar with the basics of border crossings, but I usually fly. I've never crossed a southern border with a vehicle.

Gear, I've got the basics. I just ordered the Adventure Designs tool kit and micro compressor with the tubeless patch kit. What gear did you guys wish you had that you didn't bring. (something you discovered while on the road). Keep in mind that this is my second motorcycle tour in my life. I'm inexperienced but mechanically competent and self-reliant. I want to be fully geared out but not the "gadget guy."

Sorry for the long post. There's a lot going on in my head right now, and I guess I'm using all of you to help me organize my thoughts. Feel free to PM me if I'm taking up too much bandwidth in this thread.

Thanks for all the support. I'm so beside myself this opportunity has materialized.

Davidprej likes this.
  12. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
  13. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Senor Brown , do investigate the feasibility of FLYING your family into BELIZE. Yes Belize does have an airport but find out if there are actually any connecting flights to your location in the USA. Everytime I cross the border of Mexico and Belize I find that there are people crossing both ways who are going to or coming from the Cancun International Airport . Cancun for some reason seems to be the best way for getting out of Belize if flying is the mode .
    I get the impression that the BZ airport does most of its business flying tourists to the Cayes and around Belize . I have never seen a bigger jet passenger plane there . You might better plan the family get together near Cancun .

Yes scrub the camping idea, hotels are plentiful and very affordable and the nights are very long to be sitting around at a tent .

With a tire repair kit ,a compressor and a basic set of wrenches and sockets to tighten any of the bike's fasteners which might come adrift you will have all the tools you need. Be sure to bring whatever special size wrenches you might need to remove the wheels , brake pads and oil filter. Perhaps bring a spare oil filter and set of brake pads if the length of the trip is going to exceed their expected service life. Start with new tires and your whole trip should be covered .
    This is of course assuming that your bike is familiar to you and you know it is not prone to repeat failures of known weak points .
    For you as a second time touring rider going into Mexico for the first time the map does not need to be very detailed , it is only a general planning tool and you will have fine detail enough on your phone using e.g. the maps.me .
    I think you could easily travel with only the AAA map of Mexico to figure out where you are going and then zoom into maps.me for the detail , like city streets and exact locations of hotels .
    You really do not need GPS to baby sit you with a continuing stream of verbal directions to turn right and left and straight ahead .
    GPS ,I am convinced , creates a lot of lost people .When they depend constantly on instructions they fail to develop their own mental maps and a sense of direction finding . Then if the GPS quits they have no clue as to how to get back to wherever they came from .
    If you get stuck out in the unknown like that you can always find your way out by looking at maps.me when standing out along the roadside
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first 2 trips into Mexico were with these maps and I took a compass also. No GPS I survived:lol3 I will admit that my life is much easier now with the GPS, one day I'll start using the maps.me app but for now I seem to do okay.:ricky
    chilejack and Animo like this.
  15. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brown, I'll be along the same general route leaving in March. Wife will fly to Cancun. Looking forward to your reports.
    I've done many long trips, but haven't been into Mexico in almost 20 yrs. Last time I crossed all I needed was my military I.D. and drivers license. Guess that's different now.
  16. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:

We have many Northern Mexico experts on this forum, I'm not one of them, but I can help with the South.

Belize is a fun, beautiful Country in the mainland. I will admit I am spoiled, but the beaches leave a lot to be desired, even in the Cayes. You will not find nice "swimmable beaches".

If you are looking for nice beaches I would recommend Cancun, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen or Tulum. Plus flying in and out of Cancun instead of Belize will save you tons of money. If you want to visit Belize you can easily do that from Quintana Roo. The Belize border is a 3.5hrs ride from Playa del Carmen.

A GPS is nice to have but not necessary. You will find the best maps are with google maps on your phone anyways.

A compressor with a tubeless patch kit is definitely a must-have, regardless of where you ride.

Camping gear is unnecessary, we have many, many well priced comfortable hotels across Mexico, I doubt you would ever camp.
  17. massiveuniball

massiveuniball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree. Camping unnecessary except in some of the beach locales but not worth carrying your gear. And even though I had guía roji maps, Google maps worked great almost all the time.

And visit the Calakmul ruins! I loved it.
    Animo likes this.
  18. Asphalt Rat

Asphalt Rat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi There, if any of you are coming to Mexico via Aguascalientes, we have a place to stay, it's kind of B&B without the breakfast, we just get breakfast meals close by, anyways I'm not sure if here is where I'm supposed to announce our place. Our place is in Aguascalientes, you can find more info at: http://amigomoto.asphaltrats.net/index.php

Attached Files:

OroDas, Davidprej, ibgary and 5 others like this.
  19. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    mythical San Nicolas?
    pceire32, Turkeycreek and Cal like this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha in my early years of riding that route I often thought I was on the wrong road because I could never find that town!:lol3