Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is important to talk about the back story on what happened, so that people know it was not a random killing. It is not different than when talking about gang violence in the US, it is awful that people are dying but it is not random. The one person who canceled on your ride did not understand that.
    kantuckid, Davidprej and ibgary like this.
  2. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were young kids I saw in bibs, not elders by any measure.
    This is a simple conversation on my part not after something here other than that. I damned certain don't want a "religious discussion" either?Nor did I bring up anything political?
    If I suggested something horrible was justified, hardly the case here on my part and wrong too.
    Seems I've been "quieted"?
    So lets go back to "Is Mexico Safe, w/o a discussion relevant to the name of the thread, is that what this is here? And no, I'm not in an argumentative mood either. Not at all. I ask a couple of questions and it went off somewhere else IMO.

SR's breakfast has way too much sauce for me, not that I don't like red & green sauce. What's the green "stuff" in the glass? Health drink?
    Davidprej likes this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    ibgary likes this.
  4. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always assumed the kids in coveralls selling candy were Mennonite
    Now back to your previously scheduled thread
    going south, Mofrid, Cal and 3 others like this.
  5. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps they are. I was just curious if there were "Mormon-esque" people elsewhere in Mexico, didn't consider Mennonites.
    In my native Kansas we had Mennonite communities, Yoder, KS as an e.g. of a whole area full of them for many years and I never saw brown overalls there? Nor where I live now and they have a church & school less than 20 miles from my house along with many businesses not far away, mostly construction related stuff. These ones wear clothes similar to others here and KS. No handmade clothes, beards, straw hats, stc., as tip offs. FWIW, They do use telephones here but avoid the world wide web unlike the Amish we have here. I'll stop on religion NOW!:nod
    Like said, back to regularly scheduled thread.
    Davidprej likes this.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Kentruck,
    Just to be clear, I'm happy to talk about the politics and policy issues on both sides of the border just not on this forum.
    pceire32, chilejack and kantuckid like this.
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like San Carlos
  8. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never post here, but I sure enjoy reading here. Thanks all!
    pceire32 and Loadtoad101 like this.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    some of the scariest umbrellas in Mexico are in San Carlos
    jazzer, going south and Davidprej like this.
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    In 2013 SR and I stopped for lunch at a little Mennonite burger shack along the highway. Quite possibly the only hamburger I’ve ever eaten where all the ingredients came from right there. They also sold various cheeses and other products

4C463677-F4C2-47AB-B28F-DC705D5FB7D2.jpeg 51191C38-EF40-4567-A76F-1BCACC74453A.jpeg
    noshoes, Grynch, OroDas and 11 others like this.
  11. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Near me the Mennonites sell metal roofing to the Amish contractors and themselves. They also run a retail store selling Amish cheeses and much more, including items from and too we "English".
    Enterprising bunch, both of them. Mexico and Kentucky= cheaper land I suppose.
    pceire32 and SkizzMan like this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just pulled into Dilley Texas around 8 P..M. I went across the street from the Super 8 to the Pancho Garcia cafe, I have heard that this is Moto Hanks go to cafe. The staff was huddled around some tables, in a somber mood. I think I was the only costumer in there. It appears business is slow around Dilley... Not sure if it has something to do with recent events in Mexico... The rest of Texas appears to be in boom times. Update tomorrow after we cross the border.
  13. infinityjellyd

infinityjellyd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Apparently not. Or rather likely that the number is so small that it's a non-issue, much like when the CDC or WHO declare a place free of polio or measles or malaria or whatever. It's never 100.0%.

That's my guess, the article doesn't specify. It did note that there has been an active campaign to vaccinate which likely helps prevent transmission between (unvaccinated) feral and (vaccinated) domestic dogs.

In any case, it's good to hear. Had a buddy riding through remote Oaxaca last year on his way up to stay with me. Got a text that he was bitten by an aggressive dog in some rural neighborhood. Was understandably worried. Went to local medic but they didn't have the vaccine. We debated by text what to do and ultimately he play Colombo and went investigating...talking to neighbors, local shop owner, etc. about that dog. No one was worried and no remembered any case of rabies in the community, so he figured it was okay. That said, the following 3 weeks was full of paranoia as he questioned ever itch, fatigue, rash, sore throat, and the like as if it were the beginning of the end.

He survived.:D
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    As any of us who have traveled Mexico have seen there and often, the "Mexican dog" mostly fending for itself and often skinny, so on. I guess it's mostly in wild animals around me in KY.
  15. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It appears the immigration office in Nuevo Laredo has changed regime. My wife went into the office to get her tourist card this morning, which we know she does not need. It appears young college graduates are running the show now. She has dual citizenship, they looked her up in the computer, and had all the info already. They knew that we got the temporary permit in Sacramento, and that our final destination is Acapulco. It appears they were trying to trip her up just in case the facts did not jive. They were doing there job, which is a good thing. They then asked where the car was, and if we put the sticker in the window. They also asked to see both passports, and sent her off with a receipt which we have never seen before. Since I have my Mexican temporary resident card, I did not need to go in.

It is a statistic receipt? The official said show that to any official if necessary ,it is proof that my wife has dual citizenship. Always something new in Mexico.
    IMG_20191114_161542.jpg IMG_20191114_161655.jpg IMG_20191114_161632.jpg

With the car packed full of crap, ( my wife calls my Moto parts that), we were off and running. There is security everywhere.
    At the second checkpoint a few kilometers out of town, the officials pulled us to the right, I think they thought they had a big Pargo on the line. I pulled out my residency card, and he looked kind of bummed out, he did not even bother checking my wife's passports, he then waved us on.

85 D is smooth, but there is not a shoulder. A lot of construction is going on. Three and a half hours later we are in Saltillo eating Chile relleno.

IMG_20191114_104310.jpg IMG_20191114_104321.jpg
    New Brembo factory
    IMG_20191114_121504.jpg

The 85 D toll road, that leads from Laredo to Monterey is good and safe. There are no more crusty old men running the immigration and temporary permit program. There were many volunteer students, who seemed genuinely happy to help with paper work, and there were copy machines available. Nice experience. Left San Francisco Tuesday Morning, arrived in Saltillo 11:30 A.M. Pacific Standard Time on Thursday.

P.S. I know I am breaking the rules as far as reporting from a cage, but I figure if I have Moto parts with me I am free from the Mods.
    FTL900, Mofrid, Gustavo and 6 others like this.
  16. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why did y'all go all the way to Laredo to cross?
    Cal likes this.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    And you realize by posting that paper we all know your wife's age:D
    Grynch likes this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    @samalama and the very lovey Kate in Banamichi this morning before heading to Sahuaripa and Copper Canyon.

[​IMG]
    samalama, chilejack and jimmex like this.
  19. micahbf

micahbf Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    An interesting factoid I learned today: I had always assumed Italika was a Chinese brand, but they’re headquartered, designed and manufactured in Mexico.
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    They were originally assembled in Mexico of Chinese parts. I have been told that they are making some components in Mexico now. They are also selling an Italian designed rotax powered 650cc bike called the Vort-x