1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been carrying a random EBay Chinese jump starter pack with me for over 18 months. I haven’t needed it yet but have jumped a half dozen bikes on the way of other people and it works great. Only good for one good boost and then needs recharged. Yes it also has a USB outlet but it’s a lightweight lipo designed for a short strong burst and not prolonged small charging drain.
    I’m also carrying a 20,000 mah power bank for device charging on the go.
    pceire32, going south and Romero like this.
  2. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    And congrats on making it to Terra del Fuego! That's a long ass ride. :D
    Turkeycreek, Romero and Ohio_Danimal like this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! It’s been a crazy journey and and lot more to go heading north. Four more countries coming I haven’t ridden yet. Paraguay, Brazil, Uruguay and Bolivia. Then back to the Peruvian Andes and north. 3F4C1F96-5919-4B47-A5C5-FFF15378D5E5.jpeg 1064F14E-8661-44DA-88CA-DBA41B873BB9.jpeg CD48E6F9-C25B-4173-8D91-BA4CB1ED2C8E.jpeg
  4. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Once again the IMS thread has the coolest riders en el Mundo!!
  5. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    pceire I'm confused about those specification numbers .
    I assume that is 700 Amperes of cranking capacity , but why do those 18000 milliamperes merit praise ? ,
    that is only 18 Amps , is that perhaps " 18 A/h ", Ampere hours of rated service ?

Whatever the case , I try not to drain the starter batteries on my bikes and get a new one as required or be within the reach of a booster cable :-)

6. djfoell

djfoell Old enough to know better. Young enough to try.

Oddometer:
    You are correct, 18,000 milliamp hours or 18 amp hours.

I have a couple of power banks. One has jumper cables, and I used it to start my 4Runner after the alternator died and left my wife with a dead battery on her way home from work. I left it connected to the truck and drove it a couple miles to get it home. Worked like a charm. I’ve also used both to charge cell phones. I charge the power bank on the bike while I ride, and then use it to charge my phone in my tent at night.

noshoes likes this.
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Are batteries safe? :evil
    Yinzer Moto and Davidprej like this.
  8. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are positives and negatives about battery safety :-)
  9. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you djfoell,
    I am not claiming any knowledge or electronic expertise at all, Sojoerd.
    I do claim that I can read. Everything I wrote concerning power & capacity came off the Anti Gravity XP10 box.

0BB408FD-B292-44C8-B02F-87295CCC407A.jpeg
    If you never need a jump start on your bike then this becomes a power bank that charges and/or runs any electronics you need. I have run tent lights, a small usb fan, recharged my cell phone all from this one unit. If none of these attributes seem worth it to anyone then don’t buy one, but I have had this pay for it self by jumping my bike in remote parts when I have done something stupid like leaving my ignition on and helped out quite a few friends and stranded motorists. I love these units they can do so much. But Each to His Own !:-)
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    I got the same product. Finally time to replace the battery. It gets a lot done.
    going south and pceire32 like this.
  11. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had the XP-10 for 3 or 4 yrs. I've used it to jump my bike, wife's, neighbors. My only complaint is charging phones or tablets. It goes to sleep and turns off after about 10 minutes. Anyone else have that issue?
    I'd rather carry only it, but now I have it for those once a yr jumps and another smaller power pack to recharge stuff.
    pceire32 likes this.
  12. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. ibgary

ibgary Long timer

Oddometer:
    Camping experience in (Zona de Silencio)/(Biosfar de Miapia)?
  14. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    It’s almost two months since that Washington Post article , almost ancient history .

Last week I made an exit to Texas at Colombia after coming north from Saltillo on Mex 57 as far as Monclova and then going east on Coah30/Mex 30 to pick up NL1 north .
    There was nothing noticeable about extra police and army presence along Mex 57 .Just the usual patrol convoys of the army as far as Monclova and I would have had no qualms about continuing through Allende to Piedras as a tourist. It is the bad guys they are after.

As for the gasoline availability along Mex 30 between Monclova and San Pedro de las Colonias there is no reason for concern if you have a decent size tank/ range . As always there are gas pumps aplenty in the tri-cities of Monclova . On Mex 30 Cuatro Cienegas is a requisite fill up point and then there is a dry stretch southward ( about 180 km long )until about 10km north of San Pedro .

East of Monclova the COAH 30 should be easy enough to bridge without “ barrel gas “ stops to
    attain the gas stations on NL 1 in Lampazos ( north toward Colombia) or Villaldama ( south towards Monterrey)

If ibgary is thinking about backroading over to Sierra Mojada from Cuatro Cienegas up through Ocampo and to the Zona D S , take note that some of the roads go through flats that can become flooded after heavy rain or snow melt.
    The road up from F I Madero ( Torreon) is paved .
  15. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Mexico is not safe if your a dumb ass, oil all over my rear wheel, did not look to see if it was shock or final drive, just wiped up a shot on my hand and go by the smell, yup dog oil, ahh, San Blas is full leaky dogs...
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    going south likes this.
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    So guess what? I remember almost running out of gas on that stretch quite a while back.. and did it again this time on different bike

The auxillary tank quit working leaving me with idiotic light coming at 105mi mark. It was a long ride to Cuatro Cienegas. Putting 10L into 9.5L rank at the end was priceless LoL but bike didn't miss a beat.
    SkizzMan, Cal and pceire32 like this.
  18. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had to sweat the fuel range on that stretch multiple times. Also remember going from Torreon to 4 Cienegas when it was 113f in April. Not much out there.
    pceire32 likes this.
  19. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    :doh
  20. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    But, I'd rather sniff dog piss than have a leaky final drive. Just sayin'
    OroDas, going south, Cal and 5 others like this.