1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Cal you are my hero. Couple of years ago I met Rick Bayless in the kitchen at Topolobampo in Chicago. He couldn't come to anyone's table or he would get swamped. The whole thing lasted maybe 2 minutes.

Would love to try your Cochinita Pibil. :dukegirl You're making it authentic right down to the banana leaf wrap.

Here's two oldies from way earlier in this thread:

From the movie:

Cal likes this.
  2. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :imaposer

I'll pony up Sjoerd's tab
    Oddfellow and Cal like this.
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Cal, Wish I could have visited in June. I'd love to see your banana trees.

Vicky*, our manager at Los Arcos is a Chilanga. When her mom comes up to visit she makes fantastic pork dishes. She brings all the spices we don't get in Sonora. I don't know if she will be coming a for Christmas this year.

*AKA The brains of this outfit
    jimmex, noshoes, Animo and 2 others like this.
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha, all though I do have a peanut butter bush, it smells like peanut butter when you rub the leaves!
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am glad you asked, that is a baby lobster, my wife was grossed out too, and she insisted that Tony throw it back in the sea. but the other gal who pre ordered, said, " Are you crazy! That is food, do not throw it out!"

It is a little too much for me also, that is where I draw the line.

To each his/her own.
    pceire32 likes this.
  6. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anytime, your in Acapulco.
    pceire32 and Tricepilot like this.
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    It is a baby lobster.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

- Mark Twain
    hansi, Davidprej and pceire32 like this.
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Fun Fact about Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens. He died in 1910 in my tiny home town of Redding, Ct. He lived in Hartford and other places but Redding was where his candle went out. That quote above is one of his great ones.
    Grynch, jimmex, Davidprej and 2 others like this.
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation, Grynch . I, and others it seems ,would not have guessed . Good thing I asked .It is indeed a maggot , the larval stage of an invertebrate . **I'll agree with you and your wife's assessment .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had to look up what "carpaccio " is and found out it is thin slices of raw meat camouflaged with a sauce of some sort.
    RAW meat to me is a deal breaker; as Trice knows I like meat well done , it has to be really- really dead , crunchy is okay too, not something that looks like transplantable tissue with blood still oozing . I have no desire or need to experience "hamburger disease " or food poisoning from raw seafood .
    But after a bit more reading on the topic I am suspicious of the explanation that it is a “ baby lobster”. It appears that the larval stage of lobsters are free floating scavengers in the upper surface waters , and a picture of American lobsters at that stage looks unlike the maggot in the oyster on the plate . 10479CB9-B954-496C-9E05-9D4173342571.jpeg
    What kind of parasite could it be ?
    What is worse than finding a fat worm in your apple ? Finding half a fat worm in your apple. No doubt it has some animal protein value but that is not the point of eating apple , is it ?
    Grynch likes this.
  10. McFoil

McFoil Filthy Pig

Oddometer:
    Another fun fact. The Mississippi River required a two fathom depth of draft for the riverboats to safely clear. They generally had a man on the bow tossing a weighted rope measuring the depths and calling out, “mark twain” or two fathoms.
  11. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha, no slow libre, make him take the Autopista there:lol3
    jimmex, pceire32, Tricepilot and 2 others like this.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Camino Real is in the background on the right, in my first photo of Puerto Marquez.
    jimmex and pceire32 like this.
  13. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    pceire32 likes this.
  14. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cal , even after 8 years I still remember your cochinita pibil ... outstanding :clap:clap:clap
  15. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    I am looking for a safe destination in lapaz or Cabo to ship a few bikes to and ride back. Anyone ever done this? Suggestions?
    Thanks
  16. MJS

MJS Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you plan to ship? Air, sea, overland? From where (Utah)? Pitbikes or? Number of bikes? Registered to individual owners or a common owner.

Other than traveling by ferry from the mainland to La Paz, it's not usual to ship into Cabo / LaPaz. You could use an overland carrier from Mexicali or TJ if you bring the bikes into MX. Commercial importation into MX brings additional issues.

The other option might be to find a private party to drive the bikes to Cabo or La Paz for you. Arrange to get you and the bikes there at the same time.

Also consider that it might be easier to ride the bikes southbound and ship north. A rider on a bike will have no problem crossing the border southbound where as bikes on a trailer will be checked for registration. No issue going northbound with a trailer or pickup load of bikes.

More info would be helpful. You can PM me if you want to keep the details private.
    Pitster likes this.
  17. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Speaking of the ferry, is that taking moto passengers currently, no different than pre-covid?
  18. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
  19. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Thank PM sent
  20. Pitster

Pitster miniac

Oddometer:
    Traveling on ktm 790r and 690 adventure bikes, looking for the best off-road routes from Mexicali to La Paz.

Prefer two track, light single track and excellent beach camping locations. Appreciate any insight you may offer. Thanks
    SkizzMan likes this.