Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tony, the chiropractor, took his mother in law out for lunch yesterday, in Taxco, where she is from. He told me it is the first time, that people can remember, that the church is closed.

" brought my mother-in-law to the Zócalo. She hasn't been here in seven months because of f#&$##g covid ,damn she is really happy and excited to get out of the house"

*Edit* Tony still has his practice in Cuernavaca, but lives in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania with his wife, he fly's back and forth every six weeks, (pre-covid), he also does adjustments in Taxco.

IMG_20201018_211158_01.jpg IMG_20201018_211210_01.jpg IMG_20201018_211803_01.jpg IMG_20201018_211949_01.jpg $12 USD Filet Mignon at El Atrio.
    IMG_20201018_211939_01.jpg
    Open air market
    IMG_20201018_211925_01.jpg
    Norty01, knight, nsfw and 9 others like this.
  2. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
  3. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Visit Taxco! (When the borders open)
    IMG_20201019_081431_01.jpg
    Norty01, flei, Cal and 3 others like this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    For the new visitors to Taxco a helpful hint on riding the fun but convoluted and sometimes steeeeeep streets and hairpins in downtown : you can not get lost if you remember that the streets with a ribbon of light coloured cobbles down the center as shown in two of the posted photos , then you are on one of the main arteries that connect to the Mex 95 running through the city. Ride around willy nilly (light bike recommended! ; it is easier than walking many km to one of the high look out points) , explore wherever you like and eventually you will come across one of those lines , then just follow it and downhill you will eventually hit the Mex 95 and can get your self oriented again to wherever you want to go .
    Grynch, Animo, Dirt2007 and 2 others like this.
  5. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    jimmex, EvilClown and SkizzMan like this.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
  7. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The US, Mexican Border has never been closed. I personally have returned to Texas from Morelia and return 4 times since COVID hit and have never been denied entry into either country!
    jimmex likes this.
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Mexicans, even those with valid visas, cannot enter the USA. Some exceptions but very few.
    Grynch and Animo like this.
  9. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the Mexican medical personnel in Juarez could not cross to El Paso every day, there would not be a hospital in El Paso that was fully staffed. Again, the border is not closed and never has been. Same with truck drivers from Mexico driving I35 up from NL!
  10. Mexicali

Mexicali Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking for riders who are interested in doing a 3 day / 2 night trip to Northern Baja in late October/early November. Would like to have at least two other riders; there is safety in numbers.
    Day 1: Tecate to Laguna Hanson to Rancho Mike. Spend the night at Rancho Mike. (170 KM dirt, about 100 KM tarmac)

Day 2: Rancho Mike to Ensenada. Spend the night in Ensenada. (40 KM dirt, about 180 KM tarmac)

Day 3: Back to the USA.

I know these routes. Most of the dirt consists of 1car lane wide road, only medium difficulty in a couple of places. I've been over these roads multiple times on a big adventure bike.

Let me know if you are interested.
    20180528_131439.jpg
    20180528_130547.jpg
  11. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    What tires do you like for Baja dirt?
  13. Order_Unknown

Order_Unknown Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all contributing to this thread...

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be returning to my home in Antigua, Guatemala. While I was stuck in the US these past 8 months, I bought a 2020 BMW R1250 GSA. Been touring the US for the past three months. But now it's time to go home... I'll be doing a sprint (7ish days) through Mexico to Guatemala. ("there's no place like home, there's no place like home...")

I spent a year in Mexico in 2017. I lived in 10 different places, all over the country. I'm fluent in Spanish, and never had a single problem. But I've never ridden a motorcycle in Mexico, and this thread has eased any concern I had over that. So, thanks!

I suppose the only lingering question on my mind is whether my new 2020 BMW will draw too much attention? Should I seek to mitigate that at all?

The plan now is to enter through Laredo, then down through Monterrey, Guanajuato, DF, Oaxaca and then on to Tapachula to get my Covid test prior to entering Guatemala.

Any additional advice appreciated :)
    roadcapDen likes this.
  14. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Nope,right out of the water.Bleed them first.
    codebot likes this.
  15. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    better than a sheep dip! :jack
    Cal likes this.
  16. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m not sure what you mean. Is it if your 2020gs is going to attract girls and they’ll fall to your feet in awe?

Sorry, I think you’ll need an Italika for that.
    jonz, SkizzMan and Cal like this.
  17. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    W
    We were sprayed coming into Hermosillo on Mex 2 in July. Ain't dead yet. :lol3
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Probably less scary that the stuff they spray you with at some state borders, like at GN entering BCS.
  19. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    No Mexican nationals/workers are being allowed to cross here in Douglas,AZ. The only workers coming across are US citizens that live in Agua Prieta.
  20. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    I thought that stuff tasted pretty good. :lol3