Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    pceire32 likes this.
  2. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn't see that you got a serious answer to your serious question. Maybe some of the more experienced MX riders will chime in, but I haven't seen that a nice new shiny bike would make a difference during the day. And it seems everyone locks their bike up at night, regardless.
    NSFW likes this.
  3. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I was passed by a brand new Maserati SUV, followed by a brand new BMW X6M. I think they were friends racing. I was driving at 130kmph. They were so fast I felt like I was doing 40.

A 2020 1200gsa is not going to raise an eyebrow, for the exception of people saying, “How did you get here? Where are you going? Chido weigh. Wow”.
    Grynch and codebot like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    In GTO.

Either a way early release or sweet find leftover.

Lady at the bar opened a fridge...and there she was.

20201019_201754.jpg
    hgulledge, Chup, Ohio_Danimal and 5 others like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I've gone thru alot of those. No idea what it really is.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Bacanora would work fine as a disinfectant spray. We joked about mixing it with nopal cactus juice to made a hand sanitizing gel when we couldn't get any at the store.
    Cal and Grynch like this.
  7. Green-ee

Green-ee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We have traveled a lot in Mexico on a large bike that attracts attention but has very little value compared to your BMW. Most hotels and restaurants will allow and some time encourage you to park the bike near the entrance or some place where staff can see the motorcycle. The only problem I had in 6 years was a rear carrier bag was opened and gone through - nothing but tired rain suits and they took nothing. Otherwise people look at the bike but don't ever seem to touch it.
    My biggest fear is traffic. It moves fast and aggressively. I can be riding at 85mph, scan the mirrors every 30 seconds and still be surprised by a vehicle passing me that I didn't see 29 seconds ago. Check the mirrors before changing lanes much more frequently than usual.
    Mexico is an outstanding nation to ride a motorcycle in. Have fun!
  8. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago I guided a rider south through Mexico. He let some guy talk him into wearing his old crappy riding gear so he wouldn’t stand out. I just laughed. With most Mexicans riding 125–150cc bikes there’s not a whole heck of a lot you can do to blend in so I wouldn’t bother. The attention your bike gets will be 99.99% positive. At least. Just be vigilant to preventing snatch-and-grab theft by not hanging your helmet on your mirror during a bathroom break, for example.

Consider Colombia Bridge POE instead of Laredo. It’s easy-peasy with less cartel activity.

BTW, that rider wore his good gear next time down.
    pceire32, Cal, severely and 2 others like this.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    No special rights. Special circumstances by individual.
    pceire32 likes this.
  10. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I always thought the strip of mármol in the cobblestone meant it was like a two way Irish Road. One lane with a stripe down the middle.
    Grynch likes this.
  11. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m on my sweet r1200gs, by myself. Every time I ride in a town I see beautiful women as pillions with guys riding their Italika.

I’m telling ya, we need to ride Italikas.
  12. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luck of the Irish.

Riding Taxco in the rain.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  13. Mexicali

Mexicali Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A variety of tires work well, but I prefer Anakee Wilds.
    pceire32, jonz and SkizzMan like this.
  14. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any big bike will attract attention. Just be mindful of your surroundings and carry on. Saludos and enjoy your trip home.
    pceire32 likes this.
  15. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    These are my new favorite big bike off pavement tire. Particularly the front which lasts a good number of miles. I still use the rear as well but with 160 hp on tap, it's done by 3000 miles. Or even less
    pceire32, Mexicali and SkizzMan like this.
  16. FTL900

FTL900 White and nerdy

Oddometer:
    Two of us are headed that way for a quick weekend November 13-16... slabbing I-15 from Vegas to (Tecate to) Ensenada, next day to San Felipe, next day to Mexicali, and then back through Arzizona to get home. All asphalt, no dirt on an FJR1300 and Tracer 900.

We have mex insurance for both bikes. I know we need to stop as soon as we cross (Tecate) for the FMM. Mexico website says title and registration are required for vehicles, but it seems like I've heard that registration is sufficient. I don't want to carry the title with the motorcycle while travelling. Is current registration sufficient?
  17. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Yes. Title OR registration works as proof of ownership.
    FTL900 likes this.
  18. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Be sure you have your US insurance card - for some reason they want to see that.
    FTL900 likes this.
  19. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    @FTL900
    You need that paperwork for the TVIP, (Temporary Vehicle Importation Permit) which isn't needed where you're going. BC is in the Hassle Free Zone.
    chilejack likes this.
  20. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode from Tucson to Puerto Penasco, not stopped in Lukeville, but heading to Libertad, stopped by SAT, check point, first time ever, they checked my registration, matching my ID on frame, AND my US Passport. Two other road side with local gend'arms and new uniform National police, only wanted to see if my fat ass could pop a wheelie. This was a day BEFORE an incident in Lobos. Again one road side just before Libertad, then off to Kino,
    I couldn't figure out why my boots wouldn't fit
    Smiles

Attached Files:

Animo and noshoes like this.