Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good riddance.
    SkizzMan, Tricepilot and noshoes like this.
  2. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not me, then again, I don't concern myself with Drug Cartels in Mexico or along the border. They have been doing this since 2009, and I am not really sure why they are doing it, what are they hoping to achieve? How does not disclosing the person behind a lawsuit, and closing down the publication help to achieve any of their goals?
  3. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by reliable?
    I think reporters like Chivas are trying to put out the truth, put like all media, it can be corrupted. You have to read between the lines.
  4. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is bad. No matter what your stance is, we have this thing called : Freedom of the press.
  5. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whether one believes what's printed or not, it's your choice whether to read it or not. It is a source of information that may or may not pertain to ones intentions to travel to a particular area or not. In this day and age, it's up to the individual to fact check reported or talked about situations that may apply to their lives rather than simply dismiss what's reported.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    It seemed a bit supermarket tabloid most of the time. But as the saying goes, even a blind squirrel sometimes finds a nut.
    I won't miss it. Other sources are out there with less hysteria
  7. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have fact checked a few articles in regards to the state of Guerrero. When I have asked the locals. All were proved to be valid.
  8. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's funny..
    I'd be interested in the other sources links.
  9. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Lots of area specific FB and other social media expat groups talking about what is going on - do a search. There are about 2 million US and Canadian expats living in Mexico.

And Mexican newspapers do cover this stuff because it serves the cartels need it for publicity/spreading fear. They don't did deep though. Circumspection is a good idea.

Hermosillo is el Imparcial (other city editions too)
    La Reforma and La Jornada are more national papers.

Many browsers can translate for you.

And Mexican news papers can help with your Spanish.
    Ohio_Danimal, pceire32 and Grynch like this.
  10. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I should have left the word ‘reliable’ out of my question as the intent of it was to get feedback on inmates sourcing info from BB.
    pceire32 and Grynch like this.
  11. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more than likely reason being the executions of reporters...
    I make my decisions on based on reading between the lines and understanding the motive of all reporting. Somewhere in the middle is the possible truth.
    In any regard, I still travel occasionally to and from Mexico by both moto and car as I enjoy so many aspects of the country and it's people. I also have relatives there who keep me up to speed on the going's on. Any hot spots I've determined are spots where I won't stop for lunch, visit an ATM machine or spend the night. That's not fear, that's just heads up and prudent thinking. Lots of places in Canada and the U.S. I treat with the same mentality.
    pceire32 and noshoes like this.
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Reporters in Mexico walk a very fine line. Straight reporting such as - Armed men arrived, shot up other armed men, 10 dead plus one policeman wounded. Signs left on the bridge claim it was cartel x. - won't get a reporter killed. Asking questions about the bosses and their political connections and their finances will. Sadly, it is the later that will help break the cartels.
  13. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I selfishly love BB, stay the F out tourists, Cabo and Cancun are semi ok, the rest of Mexico is off limits!!!!

and by semi ok, I mean I am not a fan so go nuts there.
  14. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somewhere buried back in the pages of this thread I mentioned a "new favorite lock" for road trips, the Ottolock (homage to Milton Otto?). For me this was a lock for helmets and jackets. Not to defeat the determined thief. Something to use for brief runs to the check in counter, going inside stores, maybe a run to an overlook where other people are around. If you're like me, you probably know someone who has had something stolen off the bike somewhere. Maybe you have.

This morning during my coffee and YouTube wake up ritual, I ran across the below video from one of the channels I subscribe to and love - The Lock Picking Lawyer. This guy has I think over a 1,000 videos and quite frankly his content is really cool. I love his even keeled delivery. I love the comments section of his videos! His channel introduced me to the hobby of what's called Locksport. That's the hobby of lock picking (traditional bar and hook, like in the movies) and lock defeating (cutters, torches, even guns). There are clear acrylic training locks on Amazon. Many common locks can be opened in seconds with a tension bar and a pin hook by the average Joe. But this guy can do it on very exotic locks. There's a reason the LPL has over two million subs.

I'll still carry and use the Ottolock on motorcycle road trips and moto camping, to deter the casual (and tooless) walk away clepto. And I will continue, even after watching this video. Like the LPL says, it's better than nothing! See for yourself how the Lock Picking Lawyer goes after the Ottolock. Beware looking at his other lock videos on his channel - you'll be addicted!

15. LogHouseBikers

LogHouseBikers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I traveled Mexico I encountered plenty of these. Some I paid, some not. Aren't the toll plaza's being used this way ones that have been closed/abandoned by the toll-way owners/government? Seems it is not taking from the government if they aren't collecting anything there...
  16. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. This is organized crime driving the legit toll workers from their jobs in order to steal from travelers. That’s why the govt has mobilized the GN to combat this problem.
    Grynch and Cal like this.
  17. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just entered Mexico via Colombia Bridge on an FMM. Official said the Mexican border is open to tourists
    Grynch and Cal like this.
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    These cretins in the news are taking over actually functioning toll plazas . The toll roads are not officially parts of government program. Many of the toll highways have been privatized , i.e. their building and operation is let out under contract to a private company and the collected money is supposedly used for upkeep of the facilities and wages for the workers, liability insurance for you during your passage and payment to the government for the privilege of the contract and dividends for legally recognized shareholders . If the toll taking authority is not actively collecting tolls then use of the road may be considered to be “ free” .
    But if a band of thugs is hired by some criminal organization to by force replace the legal toll takers and to extort payment from the road’s users it is NOT the same as paying the toll to the rightful agency, ergo it is THEFT from road users . The illicitly collected money is not used for anything like upkeep of the roads which might benefit the users ( you and me included) it flows to the big criminal group to fund their greed and nasty habits .
    Would you consider it acceptable to ride into a gasoline station ,pay for the value of a tank of gas ,at a discount rate, but then not be supplied with any gasoline ?
    The money offered by these organizing big - time thugs makes it attractive to desperate and lazy people alike to sign up for those “ jobs” and they quickly forget about what their mamasitas might have taught them about being good people ( assuming the mamasita was not on the cartel payroll too:hmmmmm) ( How to explain scores of people running with open pails to collect gasoline spouting from a severed pipeline !!!)
    SkizzMan and Cal like this.
  19. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    You were travelling in 2018 right? Thats when hurricane Willa destroyed the Acaponeta toll booth and it looked like it was abandoned for about a year after that. This and the toll booth south of Culiacan are the only 2 booths I can think of that were abandoned. I have talked with the Indigenes people manning a few of the booths in Sonora and they have told me it was related to land claims so it may be different in various parts of the country. In Sonora they have never taken over the newer city by passes.
    SkizzMan likes this.
  20. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Headed your way tomorrow. See you Thursday
    SkizzMan likes this.