Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you think it is stuck closed Ride without the thermostat
    Nice looking Pozole
    In Morelia The Hotel Fenix 1 block from the Plaza de Armas is 200 pesos good Moto parking rooms a little tired but did I mention it was 200 pesos
    Animo, noshoes, SkizzMan and 2 others like this.
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Morelia is a beautiful city.
    Grynch and Cal like this.
  3. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    radiator cap
    Cal and WileyRTW like this.
  4. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I did make sure to seat the properly today, it looked like it was correct when I took it off but that is on my list of possibilities as I see it will cause the coolant to boil at a lower temp.
  5. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Excellent, that is my kind of place! And thanks I will check the thermo 1 more time for good measure, even if it's working I will replace it in Morelia, but now I know how to proceed.

It has been high on my list since 2011, as was Michoacan in general, have not seen much of it yet but it has not disappointed.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You say coyly that you have had small problems the last days .

WHAT problems exactly ? Does it keep losing coolant ? And WHERE FROM does the coolant emanate ?

Here are two paragraphs from my Clymer KLR manual.
    1AD5D7AA-0487-4A04-9523-E9204F5326CD.jpeg

0E5972D0-A74C-4247-B8E3-21D68EE20D92.jpeg

Notice the second one in the list ( b. water in system ; no coolant mix )

Straight water could cause corrosion problems and lack of lubrication to the water pump seal , leading to failure . Radiator coolant/ anti-freeze is sold in Mexico already diluted ready for use , put some in.

Do not start pulling things apart until you disqualify all the easier diagnoses of your KLR’s problem. Before the advent of fuel injection on cars the slightest problem seemed to prompt the armchair mechanics to pull off the air filter at roadside and start monkeying with the carb ,just because it had a lot of adjustable screws in easy reach .At least they felt that they were doing SOMETHING to fix it .

If the fan RUNS it cannot be an electric motor seizure or fuse failure, but you might still have intermittent lack of current if there are corroded wire connectors . Inspect and clean connectors and tighten if needed .Also check the pump relay wire connectors.

You can see the fan rotating and feel the air coming out the left side grill. With a COLD engine and with no parts removed you can reach your finger into the fan left side and twirl the blade to feel that it moves freely , beyond the lumpy feel of its magnets.

Unless the hoses are so old that they are disintegrating inside they are unlikely to be your problem.

A “ broken” thermostat would be unlikely , it is just the spring that might not open at quite the right temperature .Removing the thermostat would be unlikely to cause problems other than insufficient engine heat , but it likewise will NOT solve external leaking problems

Since the thermostat is very accessible ( right side of cylinder head)you might have a look at it but then you would need to first drain the coolant and afterward to refill and bleed the cooling system .

If you have the radiator cap off there should be cold coolant at the filler neck and with the engine running the water would be expected to warm up , expand and begin overflowing because there is no pressure keeping it confined to the plastic reservoir.

When the engine runs the water pump is also turning so there should be coolant movement visible because there is a bypass bleed on that thermostat .

It might be that the previous owner was a klutz mechanic and did not properly install and tighten the nut holding the pump impeller on its shaft ( i, j , k )

It can be imagined that if the nut fell off and the impeller also came loose then it MIGHT not be pumping . IF you establish that you really have a pump that it IS NOT pumping you could go so far as to remove ONLY the outer water pump cover to check the impeller nut.
    What does the blown out coolant look like - water or antifreeze or containing specks ? Maybe the previous owner had a small coolant leak and dumped in one of the “ leak stop” remedies and plugged the radiator passages partially .

Taking the water pump apart is a basic job of undoing bolts and separating joints . Rebuilding it all is NOT simple because you need new gaskets , oem pump seal, O- rings and a torque wrench .

( If you go for the whole waterpump rebuild the entire right side engine is open so you should also at same time take out and clean the OIL PUMP SCREEN , and if it is a high km odometer replace the shifter lever-detent leaf spring, $5 part which saves you $300 in labour should it break later. )
    WileyRTW, Animo and pceire32 like this.
  7. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I will PM you in a few days when the festivities die down, these guys only care about my KLR if its taking me around Mexico. I will post the final resolution here for educational purposes, but probably better offline in the interim.

Parked in front of the Hotel BelMar in Mazatlan after several of you recommended it, this sweet bike pulled up for a delivery, clean as a whistle!
    IMG_20201027_173452082.jpg
    Animo, Cal and pceire32 like this.
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo of the street in front of the Belmar. Curious to know if any of the restaurants and bars had any customers as this is my favorite area.
    Grynch likes this.
  9. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I don't recall but think it was a weekday which def makes a difference, but a majority of restaurants are open and did have people though some might only be 1 table of people in an empty restaurant, while others were full. This pic was probably taken around 6:30 without many people, but later at night more people came out to enjoy the malecon. I was probably the only guest staying back in the economy section of the hotel without the beach views, as I saw no guests during my brief stay, but their restaurant was fairly busy at night so I assume there were more guests, but maybe those were just random people eating there. Not a bad time to go honestly, as you can avoid the masses and enjoy yourself. I had a schedule to keep due to Dia de muertos , otherwise I would have stayed a couple of days.

IMG_20201027_174444801.jpg
    Animo, Cal and noshoes like this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Belmar restaurant is not really a restaurant it is just a hang out for the young kids drinking ballenas etc... Did they not let you park inside the big court yard? The walkers on the Malacon, were they masked up?
  11. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Belmar this, Belmar that

Nobody talks about the fact that The Belmar has one of the most interesting elevator systems to be found.*
    Grynch likes this.
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  13. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I await this discussion because the elevators are pretty scary and old, haha. I normally stay on La Planta Baja right by the pool
    Tricepilot likes this.
  14. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Ah yes people were only drinking, just thought it was the time of night, so that makes sense. The larger cafes on the strip in that area were busier than the actual restaurants. I drove the entire strip since it had been awhile and there was decent activity throughout.

They had me go around the building to the large gate to park in the garage which was empty. Luckily I was on the 1st floor, they prob saw the weight of my bags and didn't want me to risk whatever this elevator debacle is.

Malecon was a mixed bag, plenty of people without masks and I never saw any real enforcement, might have been 50/50 on mask wearers. Everyone had them, but often around their necks, or in their hands, to wear only when needed.

I have been wearing mine anytime outside even though often not needed, I am a guest here, and want to respect those who are bothered by non wearers. Sayulita, and Barra de Navidad were way more relaxed, one guy in Sayulita put it to me as they live like covid doesn't exist here. Was told originally they setup a roadblock sending everyone back, and suddenly relaxed to where you only need one to enter the OXXO. I don't recall now, but I feel like if the street venders were even wearing them they were only on the chins, not covering mouths and noses. I will try and pay more attention now.

Patzcuaro is a bit stricter, but that may just be for the influx of people here for dia de muertos. Most people have had masks the past few days I have been here. The plaza is barricaded off today and they check your temp and give you hand sanitizer before entering or leaving. They also have health officials of some sort walking around in that area asking people to wear masks if they see you without, though I saw a guy say he was eating, shrug his shoulders and ignore the request to "put it on and pull it down each bite" as he walked away from the officials. I tried to take the boat to isla Janitzio for the celebrations today, but it seems they closed it, most likely due to covid, but with my gringo spanish I was probably at the salida, so who knows.
    IMG_20201101_154330366_HDR.jpg
    Cal and Animo like this.
  15. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    wiley RTW
    Thanks for your reports some of us are living through you especially Canadians who cant drive into the States to get to Mexico!
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    No, you actually nailed it. The sign basically said a little less than 5 USD for the lake tour but no stop on Isla Janitzio. My guess: something to do with "crowd gathering".
  17. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I was born 20 minutes from Canada, you can basically walk across if you head into the forest. If the snow hasnt fallen yet, you know what to do!

I wasnt going to do a trip report as I dont want to encourage people to disregard mexicos request for essential travel only, but now that I am in places I hadn't previously visited where it is new and exciting, and have received similar thanks I decided last night to try and put one together. I will let you guys know if I get around to it.

I am sure they will make the best of it, but there are going to be a lot of upset people tonight, judging from the line of cars going to the boat dock this info was not readily available, but I suppose the party in town will just be better now.
    roadcapDen, Cal and Animo like this.
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photos from an old ride report.

(1) Isla Janitzio, (2) the Fishermen, and (3) The Cemetary.

I know it isn't much, but that cemetery pic there on Isla Janitzio is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, sites of celebration of Dia de Los Muertos in Mexico. Look it up for yourself.
    Animo and WileyRTW like this.
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    $1000 +/- U.S.D. is what that Italika costs in Mexico.......always another option.
    pceire32 likes this.
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-11-1_17-31-37.png
    pceire32, Animo, chilejack and 3 others like this.