Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
  2. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
  3. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    My thoughts>
    It is a mess. Warring cartels fighting for territory, smuggling routes and 'ownership' of local politicians and judges.
    The Sinaloa Cartel under el Chapo Guzman had much of of the country locked down and had little need for shootouts.
    With el Chapo in the ADX in Florence, Colorado his sons and lieutenants are fighting each other and have lost control to the newer, more violent players.
    How it will shake out we don't know. Will one group gain dominance and end the internecine wars or will it continue?
    The worrisome thing is that the overall environment of lawlessness gives independent wannabe bad guys license to act freely against innocent people.
  4. ConcreteDr

ConcreteDr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question.

Sometime in mid to late October 4 of us will be riding down to San Jose our current plan is to have our Wives fly down and spend a few days fishing and relaxing.

We would then all fly back together and at some point in mid November we would fly back down and ride the bikes back.

What kind of paper work nightmare are we looking at ??
  5. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Absolutely none. If you are talking about San Jose del Cabo you don't need a TIP (temporary import) as all of baja is part of the free zone. If in mainland you would need one, but even then the TIP is good for 6 months, so you would have plenty of time to get the bikes.

Just pick up your FMM which is mandatory for any foreigner entering Mexico regardless of the location/duration...as well as Mexican Auto Insurance for the bikes. Other than that, the most important mandatory items to focus on are fish tacos and cervezas.
    pceire32, ConcreteDr and jimmex like this.
  6. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make sure that they give you 180 days on your FMM.
    eakins, pceire32, Animo and 1 other person like this.
  7. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience flying north out of baja says your tourist card may get collected. If so, you get to buy another one on the next flight south.
    ConcreteDr likes this.
  8. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Good news:
    "SCT Michoacán reports that starting tomorrow Saturday at 11 in the morning the rehabilitated stretch of the Freeway XXI XXI will open, restoring the circulation between Michoacán in the municipality of Gabriel Zamora (New Italy) towards Lázaro Cardenas and Zihuatanejo."
    toll.jpg
    pceire32, Gustavo, Grynch and 4 others like this.
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    You "buy" it anyway when you fly in, it is included in the airfare taxes and fees. If you enter Mexico at a land crossing, up to 7 days is free and over that, you have to pay the fee (IIRC, currently MXN$575).

Gustavo
    pceire32 and Animo like this.
  10. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    My experience when flying in/out of Baja is your tourist card WILL get collected. I tried talking them out of it but no luck. OTOH, I was flying with the FMM issued by the airline while I had an open FMM I had which had been issued for 6 months when I entered Baja on my motorcycle. I always use my passport card to get my FMM when entering Mexico by land so I don't have a stamp in my passport booklet. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time until they track all entries and exits on a computer as you're supposed to turn in all FMM's when leaving Mexico even if there is time left on it. I keep paying attention to that subject in this thread so hopefully I'm not the one that gets fined (or worse) for not having turned in my FMM when leaving the country.
  11. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup!

My last aero trip originated in LTO after crossing south on the dirt. Glad I had my tourist card tucked in the passport. And as noted above, going back south its part of the ticket, something you get to fill out in flight.

Returning them northbound is a supreme hassle on land. Have yet to do that and have had no problems going back into Baja over many years.
    duggram likes this.
  12. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    I've crossed back into the US twice in the last week. Both times, there was a CBP officer directly on the borderline, asking if I had a passport. When I answered yes, they waved me thru to the booths. . I wonder what happens if I didn't have my passport. :dunno
  13. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    They had the guy out doing that last year at Naco but he was demanding to see the passports. They stopped for a while but now they just ask if you have one. The guy said it was to speed things up. I refrained from telling him that if he opened the never open second lane in Naco the line would go twice as fast.
    noshoes likes this.
  14. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to ride a Vstrom from San Antonio to San MIguel Alliende for a friend of mine. He has a condo down there and was on a motorcycle trip when the pandemic hit. He crossed to SanDiego and left his bike at a friend's place and flew home. He was hoping another friend would be able to get it back down for him and had the bike shipped to place in San Antonio where the guy works, but it hasn't worked out for him. I was hoping to fly to TX take a leisurely ride down, then fly home. My wife was all for it until she remembered covid and started looking up info and got all worried. I would probably be somewhere down there right now on a great adventure, but sweating my ass off.
    currenv likes this.
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

More clouds. The North American Monsoon is due to arrive in 3 weeks. The rains will be welcome.
    Until the desert temperatures in Sonora and Chihuahua are 100° and above. If you are riding watch the heat.
    Grynch, Ohio_Danimal, Animo and 4 others like this.
  16. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    So you cancelled the trip because of COVID? While vaccines are limited in Mexico, if you are vaccinated, your risk is minimal. If you make sure you keep your social distance and wear a mask when you interact with locals that may not be vaccinated, the risk you pose to them is diminished too.

Before you start planning again, where is this V-Strom registered? Is it a Mexican registered bike?

Gustavo
    Animo likes this.
  17. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Plated in Mexico.

I was fine with it (even the mandatory test for the return trip) but I could tell my wife would be a nervous wreck. She wore a mask when she came along to the store with me. I haven't worn one for about a month and sort of wanted to go back and sit in the car.

I've had a bunch of other stuff I've had to do. Planning and fitting it was going to be tough, but with her worried and/or pissed, it didn't seem worth it.
  18. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    SR, Rhode trip, GSABest and 10 others like this.
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-6-9_22-38-56.png
    eakins, pceire32 and Oddfellow like this.
  20. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer: