Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Riding in extreme heat, in temperatures above 93*F, is not to be taken lightly. Hydration, protection from excessive fluid loss, protection from the sun... This is an excellent article about riding in heat: https://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf
    pceire32 and Rhode trip like this.
  2. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Especially if you have ridden down from the North and not yet acclimated.....very different from what the locals are dealing with.
    Cal and pceire32 like this.
  3. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It took me 5 attempts to ride to the Yucatan - coming from Maine in February. We would get as far as Puebla or at best Palanque and it was just too hot. Hot to the point where I felt I could pass out. I almost did in the Maxitunel. Finally the planets aligned and we made it in 2020 - due to cool and cloudy weather.
    It's a heck of a shock coming from the frozen north to temperatures approaching 100 in less than a week's time.
    OroDas and pceire32 like this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Went to a new cenote - La Noria

20210623_163738.jpg 20210623_163542.jpg 20210623_163625.jpg 20210623_163905.jpg
    Arte, OroDas, GringoRider and 12 others like this.
  5. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Hi Eakins,

Re; not being able to get TIPs for 3 vehicles (car. Trailer, and moto) that are all in the same name, yes, I agree. In my case, I would only need a TIP to cover the car and trailer. Since the moto I would be hauling is a Mexican bike legally plated in Guanajuato, no TIP needed. It's moot now, however, since the forecast looks reasonable and I've to leave the CRV and trailer at home and do a fly-and-ride instead.

But thanks for trying to keep me out of trouble!

Vinnie
    eakins, jimmex and pceire32 like this.
  6. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    :ricky
    pceire32 likes this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    On to Isla Mujeres

20210626_132154.jpg 20210626_134944.jpg 20210626_135828.jpg 20210626_193734.jpg
    Arte, GringoRider, knight and 6 others like this.
  8. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    104 degrees F today in my town in Oregon.
    Dinner on the restaurant deck. The kid at the next table was wearing a hoodie.
    Oh yeah it’s a dry heat
  9. hansi

hansi Teurer Abenteurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    State of Jefferson? Where? It's 109 right now in CJ......
  10. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    jimmex and pceire32 like this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    pceire32 likes this.
  16. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bake Sale!
    pceire32, eakins and noshoes like this.
  17. Kiko

Kiko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this article is in reference to HWY 85, the libramiento (free road) and not 85D, the autopista where 1000's of cars and trucks travel daily without problems. The libra is mostly commercial traffic. Most advriders stick to the autopista and have no problems.

Doc, a Mexican national who used to post on this thread would say this: "No dejes camino Real por vereda" which means don't leave the main road for a path. YMMV
    Animo likes this.
  18. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I believe it is a bit of both....last week there was an article about roadblocks on the arco norte (outside Mex city) where 40 people were robbed....in the end it is simply a matter of wrong place wrong time, as many of us here stick to the toll roads, many of us also do the best we can at avoiding them.

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/thieves-rob-40-drivers-with-roadblock-on-highway-in-tlaxcala/
    GringoRider, pceire32 and Cal like this.
  19. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have not been on this sub forum in a while. I rode down threw Juarez months ago and spent time in Chiapas and then further south. I’m planning on heading north again and am wondering what the general consensus is on changes in safety in recent months?

I tend to believe that Mexico is a wonderful country and the narcos don’t want to kill me. With that being said, I did pass through an active battle in Juarez with cartel in full knee pads and automatic rifles. Then I had a suburban full of military aged men chase me down southwest of villa ahumada When I got off 45 on 19 and traveled half a day on smaller side roads. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable again in the far north of the country getting off the beaten path as those are the drug routes.

i have also felt less safe in Mexico vs pretty much any other country from Colombia north to Mexico. I’m curious as to the general consensus on changes in safety in the last 6 months.
    MikeS, pceire32 and codebot like this.
  20. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Truth be told travel in Mexico is rarely "safe" - how unsafe for folks like us is the question. I've never felt comfortable in any border town and quickly move on. Crime is on the uptick in the United States as well - Covid and the reactions to Covid have caused far-reaching problems with money and social issues, and there's Amlo's hugs not bullets policy.
    I'd fare poorly in a sledgehammer fight - but we are planning to return in January entering through N.Laredo and sticking to toll roads at least until Mazatlan. Our last visit was cut short by Covid scares in March of 2020 - that trip - from N.Laredo to Cancun had zero safety issues.
    noshoes likes this.