Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Per a Telcel rep at the largest Mexico City downtown corporate location & repair center.

TelCel SIM "chips" are good for up to 1 year w/o adding $ to the account before the phone # drops off and it does not work.
    Up to 1 year after your last payment to the account.

So hold on to your SIMs if you'll be back within a year.

I paid 150peso for 30days, 2.5gb of data with the latest amigo sin limite offerings.

2.5gb was plenty of data to use out and about while switching to wifi at hotels etc
    pceire32 and noshoes like this.
  2. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    I crossed last week at Eagle Pass / Piedras Negras. I've seen and heard too many reports in the past month of issues in Nuevo Laredo to be comfortable crossing there. Piedras Negras was easy - good roads, okay traffic, relatively hassle free paperwork.

Vinnie
    jimmex likes this.
  3. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been in & out of Mexico since early 80’s & have always felt safe. I don’t speak Spanish. Pass through TJ quite often & have a dentist in TJ who when I visit I walk around TJ. Park my bike on US side for a day & walk the bridge. Never had a problem.

It is all relative !

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/05/us/us-shootings-july-fourth-weekend/index.html

400 shootings, 150 people dead two days ago in one July 4th weekend in USA !
    :grim

I suppose if I was Mexican I would say “Clean your own house before you criticize mine .”

I live in Santa Monica CA but do not feel safe walking on the broadwalk on Venice beach now due to the homeless encampments who have taken over the beach a lot whom are mentally ill.

6A900EF6-0EA4-42C4-B15D-3967F9178F1C.jpeg

No longer feel safe around my apartment either since the homeless have moved in under the freeway bridge less then a block from me & prowl the neighborhood at night. Stole my brand new car cover from our yard. I saw it in the homeless encampment a couple of days later & stole it back. (It was marked by me, “front & back”)

6D828BFF-EF99-4165-85C9-D5F34032EFCA.jpeg
    Chased a women away yesterday who was going through our mailboxes & when I confronted her, she took all the mail & flyers & threw them across our garden & threatened me. She was obviously mentally ill. I now have a weapon close to my front door.

I am in no way saying your fears are not real or the violence is not real but we need to recognize the amount of unwarranted violence on both sides of the border & own the growing violence in the US ! We have the ability to do something about that but…………..? :cry

I am not poking the bear or meaning to upset anyone, just putting a little perspective on the violent world we live in on both sides of the border.

Keep safe & cool everyone !:knary
    Arte, b00sted, Ohio_Danimal and 13 others like this.
  4. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Green-ee said...”””...we are planning to return in January entering through N.Laredo and sticking to toll roads at least until Mazatlan. “”
    And which toll roads will you use to then travel farther?
    Will that be on bikes or in an armoured car? Please reconsider the toll-roads-only approach . Don’t be so ready to cave in to the fear of “ cartel violence.” It is such a waste of scenery to fast track straight to a coastal resort .
    Why is Mazatlan considered as being in some way safer ? It has had its own issues . The Sinaloa Cartel sees it as a part of their drug route to Baja where they also go for their vacation properties .
    Take your own advice and give your head a shake .
    Funny that your uneventful March 2020 passage through Nuevo Laredo to the Yucatan coincided with a period of uptick in violence there ( or did you not know that at the time ?) .
    Just because a location is away from the border means little . It is a question of staying aware of the situation in any area you will visit. And then behaving in accordance. Stay alert , stay off the roads after sunset , mind our own business.
    Travel the variety of less busy toll - free roads and absorb the culture and scenery of which there is plenty en route to Mazatlan
    Hill Climber and Cal like this.
  5. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being the dutch uncle again... That's ok - allow me to expound - it's going to take a few minutes.
    Fortunately I'm free to travel as I choose. Toll roads, when they are available are easier on my heavily laden motorcycle (in the avatar Mex 175 between Oaxaca and the coast). The top case, a 54 liter (+/-) Givi is a concern on rough roads as it bounces on rough roads. We ride two up, I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that goes with me on all of these trips. A wife means additional luggage - which I gladly pack on the bike - all 110 pounds of it. Typically we stay for a few days (it will be a few weeks in Mazatlan because we like it there) and take side / day trips without all the luggage. We explore back roads and visit friends and points of interest on these side trips.
    We have traveled plenty of libre roads fully loaded and have been in all but a few of the Mexican states. I can't ride in sport mode or really enjoy the road while we are fully freighted as the motorcycle is unwieldy with all the weight. Despite having tires rated for the weight we carry we've spoiled two new rear tires in Mexico - so my concerns about weight are valid. The Givi top case has yet to fall off.
    We probably don't travel like many in this forum do - ours is a heavy road bike with limited ground clearance. It weighs 690 pounds (again, my choice)
    I disagree with your opinion about border towns and Sinaloa. We've been going to Sinaloa since 1999. Our then 13 year old daughter attended a public rural school while we camped in Sinaloa. She made friends there and occasionally stayed overnight in a nearby town. There was drug cartel violence then as well. We've made friends with a couple of federales, drank with them too. We do ride at night at times - always watching for animals. I ride at night more in Mexico than in Maine because of the deer and out of neccesity
    In case you missed it this will be our sixth "trip of a lifetime" - motorcycling in Mexico these are month long trips of 3,000 - 5,000 miles. We're pretty well versed on the dos and don'ts. We've ridden the roads between Mazatlan and N. Laredo many times. Before the motorcycle we toured Mexico by RV nine times, again month long minimum visits.
    We prefer nice hotels with pools and air conditioners - not just to keep the wife happy but to keep me happy. How we travel, the roads we take, and how we spend the night is a personal choice based upon observation, past experience, how much money we have, and how we like to relax and enjoy life.
    ntadvr, SeanF, OroDas and 10 others like this.
  6. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Rainy season here. Temps are down, humidity is up. (I prefer a dry 105° with 20% humidity over 90° with 80%.) So be aware that rivers are flowing, the arroyos can flood across the roads and leave debris.
    Ride safe
    eakins, Ohio_Danimal, Animo and 5 others like this.
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those of you with differing opinions and experiences allow me to suggest this:

Round Cube.jpg
  8. codebot

codebot Neophyte RTA (Round The Americas).

Oddometer:
    However, that cylindrical object was designed for something. It's either a dowel intended for a round hole or perhaps a roller bearing for a square hole. An increasingly common problem is that once a truth is known, people stubbornly stick to their own point of view ignoring every bit of evidence to the contrary.

To bring this back on topic. Safety in Mexico is not simply black and white. One persons misfortune can get amplified a thousand times greater than thousands of other uneventful trips. Therefore skewing many folks point of view to the negative. Of course, that is merely my point of view.
  9. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    shiryas, SeanF, Loadtoad101 and 10 others like this.
  10. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer:imaposer
    Loadtoad101, pceire32 and knight like this.
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The majority of the 130 million plus people living in Mexico have never been the victim of a major crime. (Stolen bicycles and hubcaps maybe.) Mexicans are concerned about the levels of violence but with the exception of a few areas with different mafias fighting for control of territory where the violence can be brutal and intense life is good. The issue for a majority of people (polling at over 50%) is that seemingly nothing is being done to end it.
    If Mexico was truly unsafe many more people would be looking to get out.
    The advice is the same as always: Pay attention, stay away from sketchy people and situations and behave in a manner that brings appreciation for tourists and riders.
  12. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Of course my point of view is always the one that sees all sides clearly with no presuppositions or biases.
  13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the things I love about riding in Mexico is that the average dipshit doesn't do it and never will. Sheer bliss to be able to go riding in a place that has a natural filter for undesirable people. Works for me.:ricky
    ntadvr, Slowphil, SeanF and 16 others like this.
  14. pceire32

pceire32 Irish Supporter

Oddometer:
    :imaposer
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    A few sneak in but it's OK
    codebot and pceire32 like this.
  16. codebot

codebot Neophyte RTA (Round The Americas).

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:imaposer:imaposer

I saw that clip a while ago and I still feel her pain. :baldy

I work with software and I am always amazed at how talented our QA department can be at wreaking my day.
  17. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I am thinking of heading south in October but was wondering about crossing the border. Is the land border open going south? And anyone know about countries further south toward Panama? I lived in El Paso for 22 years and have done several trips to Copper Canyon and never had a problem but I left the border two years ago and would like an update.

Present rough plan is to ride to Guatemala in October and spend several months in intensive Spanish school before Panama and perhaps South America. With the current Covid situation, am I dreaming?
  18. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Stop the destruction of the USPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Panama, near Costa Rica. Things change, and will continue to change with new developments with Covid. The land borders of both Costa Rica and Panama are open, with restrictions placed by each country. Panama requires a negative Covid test w/i 48 hours of arrival at the border. Costa Rica requires that you buy health insurance to cover you for any treatment/hospitalization while in Costa Rica. That's true today. Ask again when you have more specific dates.

That is, of course, on top of all the normal importation/exportation of self and vehicle in tourist status for either country.
    knight, noshoes, pceire32 and 2 others like this.
  19. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Even with the restrictions and requirements, it’s good to see borders opening.
    pceire32 and Animo like this.
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I posted some info to the Banamichi Meet-up thread HERE
    It is happening in November.