Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Mexico never really closed the border to US tourists. Even during the worse months of the pandemic, you could get across, someone made the calculus that tourist money was more important than public health when the US had significantly more cases than Mexico did. Now that we are way ahead in vaccinations (and they are making progress too), it's even less likely that it'll get closed. Being a US citizen, you will probably not have a problem returning from Mexico, even if this latest variant causes a real spike in cases.

What happens south of Mexico between now and October depends on how badly this Delta variant hits those countries and how much help they get procuring vaccines (I suppose those two are related - more vaccines, less likely that the Delta variant will hit them hard). Currently, Guatemala and Honduras are not great, but surprisingly in better shape as far as cases as a percentage of population than Costa Rica and Panama, even though both Costa Rica and Panama are way ahead in vaccinations. Most likely neither Costa Rica or Panama have vaccinated enough people to start making a difference in infection rates.

Are you going to ride? The question I would ask myself (as I did last year when the opportunity to travel arose) is whether I would want to be riding a motorcycle in places where hospitals could be overrun and over-stressed with COVID patients and getting medical help (even if unrelated to COVID, say your bike fell on you in a parking lot :muutt) becomes a problem. The problem with planning months in advance during this pandemic is that today it may be OK, but not so much in October, or maybe it's OK in October when you leave but then gets bad in December or January, as this is a very long trip. I am not saying I wouldn't go, but I would certainly make plans for what happens if things get to a point that I decide it's better to cut the trip short. Also, it's always advisable to have good health insurance coverage and med-evac, this is probably not a good time to see if you can manage w/o it. :kurt

Buen viaje,

Gustavo
    pceire32, Animo and Turkeycreek like this.
  2. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The word is that the army and public health workers will return to here to Banamichi to administer the vaccine. They were here a while back and gave people over 60 shots of Astra Z then returned for shot number 2. They will give the shots to 18 years old and up. The hope is that they will have the Astra Zeneca again not the less effective Chinese shots.
    I don't know how widespread vaccinations are in Sonora or other states but this is a good thing.
  3. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Go for it, things are open in Mexico and Central America for the most part, I would keep your S. American plans wide open as travel has been severely limited with no end on restrictions/ opening of borders in sight.

Going to Mexico during the pandemic was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made.
    jimmex, Cal, ScotsFire and 1 other person like this.
  4. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Going to Mexico during the pandemic was easily one of the best decisions I have ever made."
    Not going to Mexico earlier this year was a very poor decision on my part.
    jimmex, pceire32, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  5. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    The beaches and Malecon were closed again last week , here in La Paz BCS
    Beer sales end at 5 PM
    pceire32 likes this.
  6. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    A little evidence to prove my point....this is how life has been going. On a beach in Mexico.
    060 Zihuatanejo.jpg
    Arte, chilejack, roadcapDen and 10 others like this.
  7. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    Pueblos Unidos did some more flexing to show the cartels that they are not welcome, roaming Patzcuaro in 40 or so vans and trucks full of armed civilians. If you recall they setup roadblocks and lite vehicles on fires last month. Unfortunate as Patzcuaro is generally a pretty safe town. Nothing happened, but things are a bit unstable there so be aware.
    codebot likes this.
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    upload_2021-7-19_14-41-42.png

El Rio Sonora looking up stream from the Banamichi Bridge.

Always good to see it flowing.
    Assfault, Ohio_Danimal, Cal and 8 others like this.
  9. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
  10. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer

Oddometer:
    princess jamaica and noshoes like this.
  11. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The big takeaway here is that the Guardia Nacionale can and does ask for your immigration and TVIP documents as part of their mandate. Something local cops nor the Federales did in the past.
    Animo, randypower and noshoes like this.
  12. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I definitely had federales ask for mine in the past. Perhaps they were corrupt, but it was never a problem.
  13. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    From my understanding is that the government combined the former local and federal agencies to make up GN. For Example: I do not see Federal Caminos in the state of Guerrero anymore. I do not see guys with black T shirts with PGE PFE , PFP ..ect...or PG what the f"#ck,conducting searches on the street.

We have had a lot of problems in the past with those assholes with the black t shirts.

I think the Guardia National is a step in the right direction. They are a lot more profesional.
    Cal, jimmex and Animo like this.
  14. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped watching that video the other day the moment he said, “You don’t want to hit topes at 60mph…”

Topes are only found in urban areas where the speed limit is 40kmph (25mph). If he’s driving at 60mph in an urban area he deserves to have his car destroyed by a tope.
    Hill Climber likes this.
  15. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too, have been asked for my FMM by Federales at a check point in the past. Wasn't a problem..
  16. rpilottx

rpilottx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Presently, a very rough plan is to leave STL in mid October and work my way down through Mexico finding somewhere to study Spanish for a month or so. I have done it in Xela, Guatemala in the past and Guatemala may be the destination again. If I spend 2-3 months working on my Spanish (my brain just does not like foreign languages), it would be December before I would continue south past Panama (if I decide to go past the canal).

I own three bikes and presently plan on my 2011 Versys 650. It has 20000 miles on it but is already nicely outfitter for travel. And I figure it is only worth $2500-3000. And I think Medjet is well worth it. Can anyone recommend good health insurance for Mexico and Central America.
  17. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Topes are only found in urban areas where the speed limit is 40kmph" Not always. We hit one between San Cristóbal and Palenque so hard that my wife's MP3 player in her shirt pocket was launched skyward never to be found again. As is usually the case the tope was in the shadow of a tree. No paint, no sign, and no population.
    GSABest, Natgeo14, Cal and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    But in the Chiapas mountains there is so much population that virtually the entire road system can be considered as being “ urban” . There are bus stop markers of sorts and tiny hamlets all along , perhaps hidden behind trees ,and lots of people walking beside the roads at all hours . Unless it is on a clearly demarcated “ Autopista” or toll express road it would pay to keep the speed down close to the city limit . And it gives more time to absorb the scenery .
    Animo, Cal, chilejack and 1 other person like this.
  19. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    If you see habitation ( or a railroad crossing), get ready for topes.
    Turkeycreek, noshoes, Animo and 3 others like this.
  20. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have not hit at least a couple topes at over 60mph you have not ridden Mexico
    GSABest, Turkeycreek, jonz and 10 others like this.