Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    The remnants of what was once Hurricane Nora seem to have bypassed us. Just a few overcast and very humid days with brief periods of rain. The ranchers were hoping for more rain but everything is good. Hurricane season is far from over.
    kantuckid, pceire32 and Animo like this.
  2. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m happy to hear you did ok. Nora ripped up the west coast to shreds. I imagined flash floods in your area, like in Nogales.
    pceire32 likes this.
  3. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen any pix of Salma here for a while, so.....

Salma Hayek.jpg
    Grynch, McFoil, chilejack and 8 others like this.
  4. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    pceire32, noshoes, akaDigger and 2 others like this.
  5. Animo

Oddometer:
    Oaxaca also just cancelled all festivities events. El Grito (Independence day) is called off and most likely Day of the Dead in October.
    pceire32 likes this.
  6. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, You can search on The New York Times w/o a subscription for covid vaccination rates/numbers and covid positivity info state by state by county, country by country, worldwide. Not that I do so much but it's there for all to see. You have to wade through the politics to read it though... :-)
    pceire32 and McFoil like this.
  7. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    No Independence Day parade here
    pceire32 likes this.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    This just in - Mexico is safer than many US states. At least if you are a woman...

Gustavo
    akaDigger, kennyanc, pceire32 and 7 others like this.
  9. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big earthquake, 7.0 near Acapulco about 40 mins ago, significant shocks here in Morelia and reported in Mexico City. May be a lots of damage there as the Mexico news stations can not communicate with the coast. Any Inmates there, I wish them well!
    pceire32 likes this.
  10. Animo

Oddometer:
    pceire32 likes this.
  11. RW66

RW66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in the south part of cdmx and the earthquake last night felt a lot like walking on a boat while it is moving. We are on the 4th floor and felt a lot of movement and the electricity went off but the place has a backup generator. Not any damage here where we are but it was quit an experience.
    Cal, OroDas, noshoes and 3 others like this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dreaming of the border opening. The small towns of Saskatchewan will have to do!
    SAM_3046.JPG SAM_3051.JPG SAM_3032.JPG
  13. Animo

Oddometer:
    Hwy 175 is closed again due to landslides, pacific coast to Oaxaca City.

94EEC2FC-7DC3-4B8A-A7BC-4697A33C0849.jpeg

EC2247C3-E6D0-480B-8FFF-674470735B4C.jpeg

It’s been one heck of a summer, weather wise.
  14. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of these days I want to do the ride on 175 from Veracruz all the way to the Pacific again. That was one of the best rides ever in Mexico. It will apparently have to wait.
  15. Animo

Oddometer:
    It’ll be repaired by this weekend. It’s a major artery, I doubt it’ll be closed for long. By far my favorite road in Mexico.
    Cal, jimmex and pceire32 like this.
  16. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Repairs to storm damage on 175 in Oaxaca can take a long, long time. The road will be made passable but caution should be used rounding corners. Washouts are poorly marked - some times the whole lane may be washed away. It's not a road I would take after dark.
    ScotsFire and pceire32 like this.
  17. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Orale
    pceire32 likes this.
  18. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The last time I was that far south, I started in Tehuacan, and found a mountain road that joined up with 175 near Tuxtepec.
    It took two days at a brisk pace to make it to Huatulco.
    Animo, jimmex and pceire32 like this.
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stormdog , that road description reads suspiciously as being Mex 182( aka Oax 182 on some maps ) , because from Tehuacan to get to Tuxtepec and mex175 there you need to go EAST a long way across beautiful mountain terrain . Mex182 is a wonderful route well worth exploring . And that leaves me amazed that you managed to get to Huatulco in ONLY TWO days . It would take me three or four or more . The 182 by itself takes a day , especially if it is rainy and foggy on the east facing descents .
    Like any mountain road this 182 is prone to landslides . In April 2006 as I was going east I encountered sporadic rain and lingering fog in the forests and was glad that oncoming traffic was almost non-existent .The reason for that absence soon became apparent when I came upon a very recent landslide where a big buldozer was busy moving soil off a 300m section .There was a single lane already sort of cleared where the flagman suggested I pass through . It was a muddy mess but I managed it , only once keeling over .Lucky that there were a few guys in a pickup truck following me and they helped me get the GS back up on two wheels .
    As to Green-ee's remark about a road he wouldn't take in the dark , it is a moot point . In my opinion "never ride at night " should apply to any and every road we take on these sort of rides beyond our home base - be it dirt road , paved two-lane or express toll road .What is the point of riding anywhere new in a strange country at night when you cannot see beyond the patch lit by the headlight ?
    texas_aggie, ScotsFire, Cal and 2 others like this.
  20. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "As to Green-ee's remark about a road he wouldn't take in the dark , it is a moot point . In my opinion "never ride at night " should apply to any and every road we take on these sort of rides beyond our home base - be it dirt road , paved two-lane or express toll road .What is the point of riding anywhere new in a strange country at night when you cannot see beyond the patch lit by the headlight ?"
    When I first began riding/driving in Mexico I marveled at all the traffic on the roads at night. These people are nuts! I thought. But as time passed I saw that practically everyone did survive their after dark ride/drive and that the highways weren't lined with wrecks from the preceding night. I prefer riding during the daylight hours but for an early start or a late return I'll ride or drive at night. You're missing out on the total experience of being in another country if you limit your riding to daylight hours only.
    jonz and pceire32 like this.