Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't stop at stoplights?
  2. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ill stop if there is traffic coming, but i treat them like stop signs if its nighttime. I just dont like sitting there for 2 minutes. If its daytime and traffic in front of me, ill stop 30 yards back and creep along slowly with an exit in mind. Dude, chicago has gone absolutely bonkers in the last few months. We need the national guard. I got pulled over the other night as i drive an audi r8 and the cops like to see it. I informed the cop i was carrying and after speaking with me he thanked me for carrying a gun as "we need all the help we can get". The simply have stopped enforcing laws and now that crime has been decriminalization (stealing allowed from stores and banning of cash bail) there is a real sense of lawlessness that i see on a daily basis. Ask me 2 years ago and i would have said its a safe city in the good areas. Now? I tell people to stay away. Makes me really sad.
    Mofrid and Green-ee like this.
  3. JuddS

Oddometer:
    *crime has been decriminalized.
    kvango likes this.
  4. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We’re all free do ride as we wish, of course. We don’t dodge bullets, when we ride we dodge taxis and double trailer trucks. To each their own.
  5. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    pceire32 and Cal like this.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup 2021, and still have the strom
  7. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    no more Honda? Weestrom still in Phoenix? I rode up to Silverton, CO last week to meet up with Alexis, who is doing the TAT. He is crossing Nevada now, on the way to Oregon.
    pceire32, Cal and noshoes like this.
  8. OroDas

OroDas El Uy uy uy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, Ordorica years ago was fun to watch when I was out and near a tv cause I don't have one. As for the news, they shouldn't be called the news but the "handpicked bad news that fits their specific agenda". News? There are billions of good news . Saludos mis internos ‍:)
    randypower and pceire32 like this.
  9. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wiley well clarifies the point ; the open roads of rural Mexico at night are the main focus of the advice to not ride at night , advice directed particularly at visitors new to Mexico who may be tempted to ride at high speed as they may do around 'home " on their familiar roads where they have no interest in scenery . Animo provides a good summary for those reasons .
    Even I do occasionally ride in the evening in some of the cities,low speed ,low risk .But if I find myself on the open highway after dark I consider it a failure for not having stopped earlier . Por ejemplo - in 2011 or there abouts on a ride in the Copper Canyon country with my friend from Georgia we visited La Sinforosa overlooks in the afternoon and I misjudged the time it would take to go to Creel from Guachochi . The sun set and we were left with 30 minutes of dark riding .We came upon an old logging truck labouring along with only the rear license plate light and one headlight ,hauling tree trunks stacked crossways . I overtook the truck first and noticed a dead animal in the left lane after the pass. None of my arm waving was seen by my friend and as he swung out to pass he hit the perro muerto . He bounced around a bit but saved it , the Capo Nord none the worse for wear . It could have gone totally wrong . In daylight this perished pooch would have never been an issue .
    There are still such decrepit logging vehicles on the road , if you venture beyond the wealthier corners of the country .
    If night photograpphy of city life is the aim it is a simple matter of checking in at a hotel near the Plaza and WALKING to the cultural events . The
    drinkers among you will be saved the trouble of finding a designated driver to get you and bike back to your room .
    If observing the black sky and the starry night is the point then there are rural hotels enough where you can get off the road and star gaze for hours .
  10. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Oooh, nice new V85TT in Centenario livery. Muy bonita tu moto nueva. :beer (this is IMS, need to get the M part into the moto discussion... :lol3)

Finally they gave it tubeless wheels. How do you like it? :ricky

Gustavo
    Cal and pceire32 like this.
  11. JuddS

Oddometer:
    @Sjoerd Bakker You make a very good point about people without significant riding experience in Mexico. I'd agree that its a totally different beast that riding in the USA at night. Without decades of riding experience in Mexico, i would not advocate for anyone riding at night. I certainly wouldn't tell a gringo who is new to riding in Mexico to head out at night in an area they don't know.

I also liked the description above about the guy above hitting a dog while passing a logging truck at night. They say that when a place crashes, its often because 2 or 3 things all happen at once. For example, tired pilot, bad weather and an engine failure all occur at the same time.

I find that when riding my close call situations typically involve a few things going wrong at the same time. For example, a few nights ago i had a close call on the highway at around midnight. I was tired, passing a semi on a curve (never a good idea) and then hit a construction zone where there was multilevel pavement. My tire made it over the break in pavement, but it made my bike jump a bit as the line was parallel to my path.
    pceire32 likes this.
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Si Senor me gusta la Moto Guzzi pero no hay muchas tiendas para servicio en Mexico:D
    MAXVERT, Gustavo, pceire32 and 2 others like this.
  13. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I left on my trip with the intent of avoiding night riding. For the first year and a half (six months wandering Mexico) I pretty much succeeded, even working towards being settled in with bike and gear secure an hour before sunset. It allowed a much more relaxed daily pace and left me hours to explore each city and village.
    Somewhere in South America though that changed. As I stayed longer in particular cities (Lima, Mendoza, Bariloche amongst others) I met members of area motorcycle clubs and was immediately given membership along with the required parties and such. Each of these groups did a weekly night ride. And once we left the crazy traffic and confines of the city, it was a blast following the group through wild terrain. Most of them rode small displacement Chinese bikes which made my DR seem like a rocket.
    But with all those bikes (25-50 per ride), visibility with traffic wasn’t such an issue, and as I was just following along, fairly stress free.
    Cal, Green-ee, pceire32 and 3 others like this.
  14. Kiko

Kiko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The key "take away" for night riding is to follow the others, not lead. The dog finds the leader. (IMHO)
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    That and the fact that I was on another continent, riding unknown areas, so following was the only option lol
    noshoes likes this.
  16. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This Canadian guy was held in an Mexican immigration detention center in Mexico for 24 days, caught COVID and was finally released. His crime? His tourist visa was expired by 2 months. Guys, keep your paperwork in a safe place and up to date. Do not overstay your Visa! A couple of weeks ago I was asked for my paperwork by an INM officer, when I crossed at Laredo. This was the first time I had ever been asked for my residency card. There have been FB postings of other expats being asked for their papers, so be careful!
    Daniel Maté
    @DanielBMate

Sep 22
    @DanielBMate
    I was released yesterday from the notorious Las Ajugas federal immigration detention center in Mexico City after 24 days incarcerated, run by
    @INAMI_Mx
    My crime was an expired (by 2 months) tourist visa. I was deported, blessedly, back to Canada. [2/21]

https://twitter.com/DanielBMate/sta...lcloorwUvitMkG-osOikF5sV7GRQ-rqCYauEiaAPx3l-4
  17. Animo

Oddometer:
    Not cs&m, just local knowledge and information, just in case…….

As bad as I feel about Daniel Mate and his experience, he could have taken advantage of the amnesty afforded to us by the Mexican government.

If your tourist visa has expired, you can apply for a temporary residence at your local immigration office. A 4yr temporary residence is 18,000 pesos, and granted immediately. No proof of income is required.

One can apply for a one year temp if the fee for the 4yr is not affordable, for 4,500ps. It is renewable year to year for up to 4yrs.

After the 4yrs you can then apply for a permanent residence, which is automatically granted for a fee.

I took advantage of that for my son last July. Because of his age, he could no longer be a dependent and did not have the foreign income required for residency. We waited for his tourist visa to expire and he applied. He was granted residency for 4yrs and he’s now a legal resident again. The amnesty is a true gift. It’s widely known and everyone is taking advantage of it.

Daniel could have done the same.
  18. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    I know you can extend a tourist visa in Mexico for a small fee. You can also get a replacement visa if you lose one, again for a fee. You also have to file a police report on the visa. However, you can not apply for a residency visa in Mexico. That has to be done before you come into Mexico and you have to show financial records for proof of means. If your son was allowed to become a resident without the means test, and without applying out of country like everyone else, they must have allowed for some family connection with you for the exception.
    pceire32 likes this.
  19. Animo

Oddometer:
    The regular temporary/permanent residency program, where one needs to meet requirements, and is only processed in a Mexican embassy is still in place.

Laws are constantly changing. As of last April, there are no more tourist visa extensions. They might extend one for a week or two, to allow one to tie up loose ends before leaving the country, it’s at their discretion, but it will not be extended for another 180 days.

They were extending tourist visas for a brief period of time in 2020/21, which had expired during the covid lockdowns, when one could not fly back to their home Country. They were called “humanitarian visa extensions”.

As of June 1st 2021, they started the new program of allowing expired tourist visas to be turned into temporary residence cards for those who wanted to stay in Mexico. They are only processed at immigration offices in Mexico.

The tourist visa must be expired, and it cannot be an expired “humanitarian visa extension” which was given during the covid lockdowns.

No family connection about it.
    noshoes, ScotsFire, jimmex and 3 others like this.
  20. Bubwheat

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the explanation! And, yes they are changing, more than I know. I am on my 2nd year of temp residency, so I am good!
    pceire32 and Animo like this.