Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. knight

knight Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a cheap rear tire in Mexico once ,it lasted four and half days
    pceire32, princess jamaica and Animo like this.
  2. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A friend told me that one time he rode from Durango to cdmx (ktm adventure, I think) with brand new dirt tires that were 1/2 inflated without noticing. Once he got there his tires were bald.
    pceire32 likes this.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lol3Hay , it was a slow day at the feeding trough:muliehere.
    roadcapDen likes this.
  4. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A good friend reported on the "Expats in Morelia FB" page that INM boarded the Morelia to Guadalajara bus and were checking visas and passports. There seems to be an untick in this activity. So, be sure to be current with the requirements to be in Mexico!

The following is from ADO bus lines but expect all bus lines and likely airlines to insist on the same.
    From ADO bus lines. "Based on the request of the various state, federal authorities and the National Institute of Migration (INM), in view of this extraordinary situation of migration flow currently crossing the country, we want to make your knowledge that from the 1th of October 2021 the official ID presentation protocol will be being deployed in the sale and boarding of travel. As well as a document that credits immigration status in the country, for those of foreign nationality."
    Animo likes this.
  5. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    About two years ago, DHL wanted almost a $100 to ship some paperwork from California to Acapulco. How much did it cost to ship the tires to PV?
  6. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve been down riding around Colombia for the past few weeks and the number of immigrants walking north is astounding now. I was riding in Central America in late 2019 and early 20 and the numbers where no where near as big as I’m seeing right now. I’m not sure if anyone has good data on the number of people currently walking north but my guess is the us and Mexican news outlets are going to start reporting on it soon. I think Colombia media said last week they estimated 30,000 were waiting to cross darian gap. Amlo seems to keep saying Mexico can’t become a permanent home to all these poor unfortunate people, which makes sense, but when i see even him saying enough is enough, it really has gotten bad. Tough situation for everyone from the walkers to the USA and everyone in between. Sad.

I have not watched any Mexican media recently. Has anyone been following this.
    Green-ee and pceire32 like this.
  7. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I've been following it. We had been considering crossing in Del Rio after hearing gloom & doom about the Laredo crossing we have used for years. Then the Del Rio bridge was closed, home to tens of thousands of people living under the bridge. Those people are gone - it looks like 15,000 of them were resettled with a wink wink future court date.
    I think we will stick with Laredo when we cross in January.
    Life has taken a pre-apocalyptic feel. One thing after another happens - each with ominous outcomes that very few seem to be concerned about.
  8. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    RE: Tires and Paper shipping

Sport Cycle Center in Villahermosa (a KTM and Ducati dealership) had tires for my F800GS in stock when I was there in April. They carry more road tires than ADV ones, but will have some. They also have a location in Merida (and Houston!). Price for the rear tire was only a little higher than what it would have cost in the US. They also did a service on my GS for me (having to order in the oil filter though).

I used FedEx for paperwork around the same time (US to Villahermosa). It was slightly less expensive, and finding a DHL drop off location in the Inland Northwest was difficult. Our rookie mistake was my GF sending me her remaining pesos from her time in MX with the paperwork. Equivalent to $40, it delayed delivery by two days as any shipping of cash is prohibited.
  9. Green-ee

Green-ee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a practically new back tire develop a wobble in Querétaro a few years ago. A HD dealer there called around and found a Pirelli Route tire at a small shop. The tire size isn't terribly common and I had a choice of a couple different tires that would fit. Quality was very good - the new tire allowed us to continue our trip and the tire continued to provide good service for what I considered to be acceptable mileage.
    pceire32 likes this.
  10. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    So sad all these peeps hafta traverse the Darian Gap, unbelievable!!!
    pceire32 likes this.
  11. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    So Mexico isn’t safe?
    roadcapDen and pceire32 like this.
  12. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    The article did not mention what type of proof was needed, i am thinking the CDC card i was issued? I should get the booster soon through work.

I understand the limiting of large gatherings but overall are things open? Such as beaches, National Parks like Palenque, any word from Chiapas region? Open with C19 card, distancing, and masks?

TIA, Chris
    pceire32 likes this.
  13. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guilty as charged:muutt.‍ The tires weren't bald, just really badly cupped out. I nice pair of Motoz Tractionators:(.

Tires are a little cheaper in the US, maybe 20% less and better selection, but after paying shipping and 18% import tax, IMHO, it's not worth shipping from the US.
  14. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to Oaxaca last week and since I was driving, nothing was required to enter. But, a few things were closed, or had limited hours. We drove out to Mitla and came to a checkpoint outside of Mitla. Since we were tourist, they turned us away, we could not even get into the city. Lucky for us, we found a fairly big mezcal distillery and got a nice tour.
    Animo, pceire32, Green-ee and 2 others like this.
  15. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, since heading back to Copper Canyon on the MCs is off again this year, I called in Plan "B", to fly down to Rio de Janeiro and spend a month with my son and his family scouting out the area.
    Unfortunately, due to ongoing corruption, Air Canada stopped shipping MCs to south America, pre covid. I believe they have restored this service to Europe.

My son, Chris's partner, is Sabrina (born in Rio), who he met while making a solo trip on his KLR from Victoria, Canada, to Ushuaia back in 2015, and they have been together ever since.
    Many of the long-timers on this thread provided valuable information to Chris. And again when Chris and I spent a month riding around CC back in 2017.
    To the many here who did provide very helpful information and advice, too many to name, that help and advice lead to Chris meeting Sabrina, and then those two stepping up and making a life alterting (and likely live saving) impact to a little girl.

When my son left Victoria back in 2015 for his ADV ride, I mentioned how I expected that trip to change his life. None of us had any idea how valid that assumption was to become.

Late in 2019 (pre covid), Chris and Sabrina returned to Brazil to rescue Sabrina's niece (Alice just turned 4) from a Favela in Rio. Both Alice's parents have long gone MIA, having fallen deep into the drug underworld, which is relatively deep, dark and brutal down here.

Chris has a strong background in IT and economics, and his employer in Canada has been very supportive and allowed him to work from "home" since the pandemic. The impact of Covid in Brazil is well documented, and this has had a significant impact on the court system. However, we are hopeful there will soon be a final ruling, and Sabrina and Chris will have formally adopted Alice and can bring her home to Canada. This also means that sometime during this process, I became an instant grandfather!

This trip is the first time I have met my granddaughter in person, and she loves all the attention. With Alice, "It's learn Portuguese or die!" However, we work it out. :hmmmmm

I am the only grandfather she has had in her life, so my arrival was a very big deal to her. I was rather surprised and humbled by this reaction of a 4 yr old.

I am here for a month and we are planning a 4,000 km road trip in the car along the coast. I can wait until we can return with the motorbikes. Ideally, we would have a base in the state of RDJ and return each year for long ADV rides around South America.

However, until then I am enjoying the family, the similarities and differences between the Mexican and Brazilian cultures, and most of all, being Vovô Ricky.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris and Sabrina are on the KLR just outside of Banff.
    [​IMG]
    RJAMT, VTbeemer, Emmett and 17 others like this.
  16. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    A great story for all of you. Parabéns avô.

Say hello to Chris for me
    pceire32 and Raconnol like this.
  17. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the good news story
  18. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris says hi, and that he plans on stealing your (and your wife's) decor and energy-saving ideas for both your home and hotel!!

[​IMG]
  19. Grynch

Grynch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guerrero is a state to avoid.
    MAXVERT and pceire32 like this.
  20. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi SR :wave

I hope life is treating you well in your new abode. Tell you what, I now check my tire pressure a lot more often than I used to.
    SR, MAXVERT and pceire32 like this.