Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would do the same, in person. Got to immigration for your visitor visa, if they ask, tell them you’ll be in Mexico until December 15th, so they stamp you in for more than 30 days.

Then go to banjercito for the temp import on the bike, I would bring my original title and a couple of copies. It’s easier than it sounds.

Unfortunately, we all have to wear face masks nowadays, because a smile and a respectful attitude goes a long way with authorities in Mexico. Say, “ Si Señor or si Señora” a lot when they ask you things, they love that.

On another note, I found this today. It’s a cost calculator for Cuotas and gas costs. Pretty cool.

http://app.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta
    pceire32 and shiryas like this.
  2. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    At least pre-covid, in Chicago and NYC and a few other locations you could get a 24 hour turn around if you visited the passport office in person and brought your flight itinerary with you. I did it once in 2014.
    pceire32 and shiryas like this.
  3. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    I believe this is because Canadians do not get titles, the registration is what is used for ownership.

You can still expedite, but I have read comments from people that due to covid they have waited up to 6 weeks depending on which office they used....due to this
    I suspect it will still take a bit even if you expedite, but maybe worth the try.
    pceire32 likes this.
  4. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I always take my passport, my passport card, my original title, and my current vehicle registration.
    chilejack, pceire32 and Animo like this.
  5. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I used to take the title in the olden days. But in recent years, all that was required was a current registration (which you carry with you anyway). To save time and money, I always have several copies of everything (registration, passport, license, even CC).

https://consulmex.sre.gob.mx/denver/index.php/non-mexicans/temporary-importation-of-foreign-vehicles

Note that under documents for proving ownership, it says one of those listed.

There is an old Mexican joke about going to get some permit and they ask you for copies of receipts of everything in your house, including the fridge (which would be the equivalent of everything and the kitchen sink...), because the copier at the San Jeronimo crossing charged like USD$1/copy which is really an abusive rate.

Gustavo
  6. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Stop the destruction of the USPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    NOPE - need special dispensation nowadays for 1 day service. A friend was able to get it done this week BUT it took a call from the Representative to US Congress from our area to get her the appointment. (Los Angeles)
    pceire32 likes this.
  7. shiryas

shiryas Dragon with matches

Oddometer:
    @Gustavo,

Thanks for the reply, I agree on copies of everything and in various locations. Being able to give whomever the piece of paper they need helps ease things along.

Cheers, Chris
    pceire32 likes this.
  8. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I would still bring the original title but only produce it if it is asked for, as I was last winter (though I did not have an original registration... long story).

I also would not expect any issues getting your FMM in person. Just make sure you put a date of leaving Mexico prior to the expiration of your passport. The main reason I use the online FMM app is so the agent at the border can read my writing. ALWAYS keep your FMM receipts, no matter how you procure them.
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I take my title but resist showing it. One time when crossing into Baja, one of our group of riders kept all papers including the title in a stack of papers he pulled out when we got stopped at the border crossing. He got questioned thoroughly about his intentions with the motorcycle - the border official knew he needed to sign the title over to a buyer for a sale and was concerned the rider was going to sell the bike in Baja. Contributing to the suspicion was the fact the motorcycle was on a trailer which is what we frequently do on group rides in Baja. So now, I have my title and copies of it, but keep them hidden away and resist pulling it out just to avoid a similar scenario. Just my registration has worked every time since.
    Grynch, pceire32, Animo and 1 other person like this.
  10. RockyRue

RockyRue Long timer

Oddometer:
    When going down to Baja with a trailer with 5 bikes on it, all the owners stood next to the trailer with their CA registration and photo copy of driver license in a ziplock baggie.
    Owner's name and VIN visible on one side
    Driver license visible on other side.
    Less than 5 minutes per bike to get everything into Mexico.
    It also helps if you get white "crayon" and mark the VIN number so it stands out better.
  11. Kiko

Kiko Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other joke is that the proliferation of paperwork required by the Mexican government is the reason why Mexico City is sinking.
  12. stormdog

stormdog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always bring my original stuff plus copies of everything. During the TVIP process last time south, the agent noticed that my name was misspelled on my bikes title ( Randall instead of Randal ) it took a supervisor to okay getting the permit.
    pceire32 likes this.
  13. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I forgot to mention that I just did a new TVIP application a couple of weeks ago, online, and submitted just a copy of the registration, no title. Already got the paperwork back with the permit.

Gustavo
  14. noshoes

noshoes soñando con México

Oddometer:
    I spoke with four different agents at the POE in the past few days. Nobody knows yet. :dunno
  15. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I spoke to the CBP guy in the booth Friday at Naco. He was actually unaware that the border was opening on November 8th. He told me I would probably know what is going on before he would.
    Gustavo and Animo like this.
  16. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    shiryas likes this.
  17. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    I'm replying to my own post because it's related. I was thinking about the online FMM procedure and I remembered there was some limitation on when you could apply, turns out it's 30 days before your entry date (i.e you can't do it at the same time as the TVIP if you are more than 30 days away from date of entry when applying for TVIP, that's why you need the pre-authorization number they ask for).

Since I didn't have the link saved, I Googled it. There seem to be a whole cottage industry of middle-men (and women) who setup sites with names like visasmexico, fmmonline, etc. Don't go there. Let me repeat - DO NOT GO THERE. Not only those aren't the official INM site, so I am not sure what they do with your data (incl. all your personal information and CC number). They also seem to charge a hefty fee for the "service" which isn't clearly labeled until you start looking at the fine print. Not reading the fine print could cost you 4x the actual cost of the FMM fee. :deal

These are the only two sites you need for the FMM and TVIP:

https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

INM Pre-authorization:
    https://www.inm.gob.mx/sae/publico/en/pre-autorizacion.html

Buen viaje,

Gustavo
    Grynch, MAXVERT, Tricepilot and 8 others like this.
  18. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cross at Santa Teresa and Columbia Bridge(Laredo) almost every time I enter or exit. I am also pretty computer savvy for an old guy, but I refuse to go online for these documents. It has never taken me any more time to walk into the building and have everything done right there, than going online. I see absolutely no advantage at all for going online. It also helps that these two crossing points are away from town, mostly commercial traffic, and have very little tourist traffic. A couple of times I crossed, I was the only one looking for paperwork.
    knight, Hill Climber, shiryas and 3 others like this.
  19. Gustavo

Oddometer:
    If you cross off-season, in the middle of the week, sure. Some years ago, I went with a couple of friends on a ride in February, they were Mexico virgins, so it probably took a bit longer than it should, as I was walking them through the forms, and we were in and out of the Santa Teresa border crossing in about 20 minutes.

Good times:
    [​IMG]

If you travel around the holidays, especially the week before Christmas and New Year's when the paisanos are going back home in droves for the holidays, Santa Teresa becomes a 3-4 hour stop.

Santa Teresa line just to get across the border, into Mexico the weekend before Christmas (note that you can barely make out the US Customs and Immigration building on the left, it's still so far away from where traffic stopped):
    [​IMG]

This is the line for TVIP:
    [​IMG]

Just getting the FMM (I had done the TVIP online, but at the time, you couldn't to get the FMM online too) took close to an hour, standing in 3 different lines - one to get the forms, you fill them out (takes a bit longer because there is always someone that needs help, borrow a pen, or something), another line to pay and then you go back to show you paid and they stamp you paperwork and passport. My wife was talking with a lady in one of those lines that snaked out into the parking lot, she had been standing in that line for over an hour. And she was still outside the building. Finally, if your car/bike isn't blocked in by people double or triple parked, you can start making your way into Mexico... :ricky

For the Thanksgiving trip, as I mentioned, I already got the TVIP online, in a few days I'll be doing the FMM online too, then you just pop in, get your passport stamped (hopefully in less than an hour... :doh) and we are on our way. Even better, because when we go back for X-mas, and the lines will be even longer, I don't even have to stop... :deal

Gustavo
  20. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me its worth a separate trip ahead of my annual holiday trip just to get the FMM/TVIP done and not have to worry about it when its so crowded. I live a half day drive from border though.